Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Gerry
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

135.gif
    Propaganda.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NM.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 10 years ago

Generally: annually with your batteries +/- depending on the number of plays.

Inspect them every time your glass is off.

Why? To prevent PF wear.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from NM:

Why? To prevent PF wear.

Quoted from TomGWI:

Wow I can't believe you got 2 thumbs down for this.
    I think Centerflank hit it right with the 500-700 plays. Every game is different. Some might be 300 and others 1000s

Indeed surprising--the post clearly stated generally and +/- depending on the number of plays--and to inspect them every time your glass if off.

BTW, it's what Terry at Pinball Life recommends.

The recommendation is based on two things:

1. Erring on the side of caution. (The prudence of the advice makes even more sense when you consider you're talking about a $3-$6 precaution here.)

2. Convenience. If you change them out every Jan 1st with your batteries, it's one less thing to keep track of (again generally, +/- depending on the number of plays).

Point being: preventative maintenance at a set, easy-to-remember interval--like not waiting till acid appears before replacing your batteries.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from Propaganda:

Never ask anyone who is selling you something what you should buy...

You must be new to the hobby or something if you're implying that about Terry.

Terry at PBL is someone who's very highly-regarded and known for telling it like it is.

He's someone I trust--and respect his opinion.

In fact if you ask him this question, he'll tell you to just buy his cheaper balls for $1 vs. the shiny ones for $1.50--because the only difference is the cosmetics--and the cheaper ones qualify for his volume discounts.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from Propaganda:

Not implying anything about Terry specifically.

Too late you already did.

Quoted from Propaganda:

I stand by my statement and if you don't adhere to it, you are a fool.

Sounds like you're now implying there's a nefarious PBL Get-Rich-Quick ball conspiracy going on here--all at a whopping $1 a piece (LOL).

Yeah, that's his secret to success: ball churning (LOL).

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

How in the hell did this post get 4 thumbs down? Are there people here who are trolling Neil now or what?

Thanks.

It's really a bit surprising when you consider the fact we're talking here about an investment of $5 a year. All to err on the side of caution--in the name of protecting valuable games; or like Vid said:

Quoted from vid1900:

@ $1.50 for the super shiny ones, there is no reason to worry if it's too soon.

But aside from that, I also clearly put a disclaimer on the annual number cited in my original post that said:

Quoted from NM:

Meaning if you only play your game 30 times a year, of COURSE forget about it--and then use your judgment. Or if you play your game 3000 times a year, obviously change them a lot more often.

Myself, I like hang out in the Tech Forum and try to offer tech advice whenever I can be helpful--also generally try to pass along good ideas if I can.

To that end, I thought passing along this tip was a good idea because number one, the investment is so low--and number two, because it came from such a highly-respected member of the Pinball community--a person WHO CLEARLY HAS NO AGENDA at a whopping $1 a ball (when he could have easily decreed the Glossy balls to be far superior at $1.50 a ball).

The man was just clearly trying to be helpful (as always)--clearly no ulterior motive.

Personally, I don't think you can ever be too careful when protecting your playfield--especially when the investment is literally nothing.

I really can't believe I'm having to write all this over $5 a year!

Oh well, happy flippin' to all.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

How in the hell did this post get 4 thumbs down? Are there people here who are trolling Neil now or what?

Get this: Propaganda has now in fact resorted to Trolling me.

He just gave me a thumbs down in this unrelated RS Topper post--for no apparent reason other than the connection to this post.

Link and screen shot below.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballtopperscom-roadshow-topper-2nd-run#post-1522042

Actually I just checked, and he went in and gave me a Thumbs Down on my last unrelated 6 posts in-a-row on other threads. Why did you stop there Propaganda?

Evidently some people have nothing to contribute to Pinside but dissention.

Propaganda.pngPropaganda.png

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

Dude, people get annoyed by you because you are so self consumed.

Dude, evidently you're holding a personal grudge against me because I didn't buy your CV a couple years ago (evidently because I effectively told you your price was too high via my offer).

Perhaps the reason behind all the thumbs downing is becoming more evident to the community.

Let it go man.

Bigger things in life to worry about.

Let's take it off the boards via PM if you want to continue this train wreck privately.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from NM:

Let's take it off the boards via PM if you want to continue this train wreck privately.

What part about this didn't you understand by responding publicly?

#30 10 years ago

Pretty evident what's going on here now.

Sorry for the train wreck Pinside--but unprovoked attacks had to be met with a measured response.

Suggesting a Moderator lock here now (unfortunately).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NM.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-often-should-balls-be-changed-and-whytry?tu=NM and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.