5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Gerry
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

135.gif
    Propaganda.png

#1 5 years ago

Trying to make a point
    Thx

#2 5 years ago

They filth up playfields eventually, but cleaning the balls is sufficient as long as they are not rusted at all.
    Replacing is not necessary , unless the sheen is just gonzo.

#3 5 years ago

If you are an op and the game is on location, never.

#4 5 years ago

When/if they get badly pitted and scuffed up and/or rusty so they don't abrase the pf

#5 5 years ago

Generally: annually with your batteries +/- depending on the number of plays.

Inspect them every time your glass is off.

Why? To prevent PF wear.

#6 5 years ago

Id say every 500-700plays, some games are easier on nicking up the balls. Great time to wax it up again.

#7 5 years ago

There really is no set in concrete time to change. It depends on how many plays, what game, hell even what type of ball!

#8 5 years ago

Every year is a good rule of thumb.

Although if you play a pin a lot, you might need to replace them more often, if you care for the condition of your playfield. Pinballs are inexpensive, and you'd be amazed how easily they get pitted and will start to grind up your playfield.

You are not doing yourself a favor if you defer changing them just to save $3-5.

#9 5 years ago

on a well waxed slicked up clean playfield where the ball is waxed too, less often. they start looking dull and wont clean up great with a quick waxing-polishing, definitely time for new.

#10 5 years ago

It all has to do with scratches and pitting on the balls, they act like sand paper if they get like this. Games with a lot of metal rails and metal ramp guards cause this on balls, ball hops and magnets too will scratch and pit balls.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from NM:

Why? To prevent PF wear.

Wow I can't believe you got 2 thumbs down for this.

I think Centerflank hit it right with the 500-700 plays. Every game is different. Some might be 300 and others 1000s

#12 5 years ago

What point are you trying to make?

Everyone has a different approach to protecting their games from wear, so far, I see nothing bad. My opinion ... I only use stainless steel balls in my games because any slight scratch or nick can be removed from the ball, then polished back up to a beautiful shine and then reused with no noticeable changes to game play. They cost a little more than carbon balls but they last a lot longer too.

Steve

Quoted from pinaholic:

Trying to make a point
    Thx

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from NM:

Why? To prevent PF wear.

Quoted from TomGWI:

I think Centerflank hit it right with the 500-700 plays. Every game is different. Some might be 300 and others 1000s

Indeed surprising--the post clearly stated generally and +/- depending on the number of plays--and to inspect them every time your glass if off.

BTW, it's what Terry at Pinball Life recommends.

The recommendation is based on two things:

1. Erring on the side of caution. (The prudence of the advice makes even more sense when you consider you're talking about a $3-$6 precaution here.)

2. Convenience. If you change them out every Jan 1st with your batteries, it's one less thing to keep track of (again generally, +/- depending on the number of plays).

Point being: preventative maintenance at a set, easy-to-remember interval--like not waiting till acid appears before replacing your batteries.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from NM:

this is what Terry at Pinball Life recommends

Never ask anyone who is selling you something what you should buy...

Do your own research.

#15 5 years ago

I change them before and after any show (the game will be played more in those 3 days than probably the whole year).

I change them anytime one has a nick or scratch on it.

I change them if they do not look a shiny as a brand new one.

@ $1.50 for the super shiny ones, there is no reason to worry if it's too soon.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Propaganda:

Never ask anyone who is selling you something what you should buy...

You must be new to the hobby or something if you're implying that about Terry.

Terry at PBL is someone who's very highly-regarded and known for telling it like it is.

He's someone I trust--and respect his opinion.

In fact if you ask him this question, he'll tell you to just buy his cheaper balls for $1 vs. the shiny ones for $1.50--because the only difference is the cosmetics--and the cheaper ones qualify for his volume discounts.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from NM:

if you're implying that about Terry

Not implying anything about Terry specifically. I stand by my statement and if you don't adhere to it, you are a fool.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Propaganda:

Not implying anything about Terry specifically.

Too late you already did.

Quoted from Propaganda:

I stand by my statement and if you don't adhere to it, you are a fool.

Sounds like you're now implying there's a nefarious PBL Get-Rich-Quick ball conspiracy going on here--all at a whopping $1 a piece (LOL).

Yeah, that's his secret to success: ball churning (LOL).

#19 5 years ago

When they start looking dull I'll throw them in the vibrating polisher for a few days. They shine up nicely and can usually get many more months out of them.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from NM:

Why? To prevent PF wear.

How in the hell did this post get 4 thumbs down? Are there people here who are trolling Neil now or what?

Quoted from TomGWI:

Exactly.

Quoted from centerflank:

Id say every 500-700plays, some games are easier on nicking up the balls. Great time to wax it up again.

I agree, and this is similar to Neil's suggestion above.

Quoted from Propaganda:

Not implying anything about Terry specifically. I stand by my statement and if you don't adhere to it, you are a fool.

#21 5 years ago

I only replace if they show scuffs and heavy scratches. Never going to get a rusty ball unless I just bought the game.

I think people just RUN to the store to spend money. Needed or not. Flame suit on.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I think people just RUN to the store to spend money. Needed or not. Flame suit on.

I don't run to the store to buy $1 pinballs. I have Terry deliver them via mail.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

How in the hell did this post get 4 thumbs down? Are there people here who are trolling Neil now or what?

Thanks.

It's really a bit surprising when you consider the fact we're talking here about an investment of $5 a year. All to err on the side of caution--in the name of protecting valuable games; or like Vid said:

Quoted from vid1900:

@ $1.50 for the super shiny ones, there is no reason to worry if it's too soon.

But aside from that, I also clearly put a disclaimer on the annual number cited in my original post that said:

Quoted from NM:

Meaning if you only play your game 30 times a year, of COURSE forget about it--and then use your judgment. Or if you play your game 3000 times a year, obviously change them a lot more often.

Myself, I like hang out in the Tech Forum and try to offer tech advice whenever I can be helpful--also generally try to pass along good ideas if I can.

To that end, I thought passing along this tip was a good idea because number one, the investment is so low--and number two, because it came from such a highly-respected member of the Pinball community--a person WHO CLEARLY HAS NO AGENDA at a whopping $1 a ball (when he could have easily decreed the Glossy balls to be far superior at $1.50 a ball).

The man was just clearly trying to be helpful (as always)--clearly no ulterior motive.

Personally, I don't think you can ever be too careful when protecting your playfield--especially when the investment is literally nothing.

I really can't believe I'm having to write all this over $5 a year!

Oh well, happy flippin' to all.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Get this: Propaganda has now in fact resorted to Trolling me.

He just gave me a thumbs down in this unrelated RS Topper post--for no apparent reason other than the connection to this post.

Link and screen shot below.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballtopperscom-roadshow-topper-2nd-run#post-1522042

Actually I just checked, and he went in and gave me a Thumbs Down on my last unrelated 6 posts in-a-row on other threads. Why did you stop there Propaganda?

Evidently some people have nothing to contribute to Pinside but dissention.

Propaganda.png

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from NM:

Dude, people get annoyed by you because you are so self consumed.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

Dude, evidently you're holding a personal grudge against me because I didn't buy your CV a couple years ago (evidently because I effectively told you your price was too high via my offer).

Perhaps the reason behind all the thumbs downing is becoming more evident to the community.

Let it go man.

Bigger things in life to worry about.

Let's take it off the boards via PM if you want to continue this train wreck privately.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from NM:

Dude, evidently you're holding a personal grudge against me because I didn't buy your CV a couple years ago (evidently because I effectively told you your price was too high via my offer).
    Perhaps the reason behind all the thumbs downing is becoming more evident to the community.
    Let it go man.
    Bigger things in life to worry about.
    Let's take it off the boards via PM if you want to continue this train wreck privately.

Dude, that's BS. I sold the CV for $7K which is $1K more than paid for it from Brandon. I'm happy to call you out privately.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from NM:

What part about this didn't you understand by responding publicly?

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from NM:

What part about this didn't you understand?

What part about calling you out privately did you not understand?

#30 5 years ago

Pretty evident what's going on here now.

Sorry for the train wreck Pinside--but unprovoked attacks had to be met with a measured response.

Suggesting a Moderator lock here now (unfortunately).

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinaholic:

Trying to make a point
    Thx

With all the arguing going on here over spending a lousy $10 bucks to protect games worth thousands of dollars, I hope your point was made.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

What part about calling you out privately did you not understand?

135.gif
    #33 5 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

Let it go Eggbert, let it go.

You will not win any arguments you engage in with Neil in terms of credibility on this forum. Sorry, you just won't, and you know that I enjoy some of your posts. Calling Neil "self consumed"? Are you for real?

Your post was completely uncalled for.

Quoted from NM:

Propaganda has a well known history of trolling many Pinsiders, including myself. He is also pretty much single handedly responsible for running Pinball Molly off of Pinside. Yet.....here he is, still stirring the shit.

#34 5 years ago

I put my balls under an electron microscope, and if I see any defects, I will replace them. And with any luck at all , my new balls will be shinier than my old balls.

#35 5 years ago

I just waxed my balls, now i will have to lay down for a couple of days...

But good thing is I wont have to do it again for a few months

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 299.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    Lighting - Interactive
    TheDudeMods
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 39.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 98.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 6.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 25.99
    Playfield - Other
    Lee's Parts
    $ 12,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside