(Topic ID: 298072)

How often do you wax your playfields? 300 plays or 3 months?

By Timberhusk

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

I have a bunch of machines in my shop. Some get played more often then others. The shop gets dusty because we live in the high desert. How often should the playfields be cleaned and waxed? Should it be based on number of plays or months? And what about changing out the balls, never thought about that before either??

#2 2 years ago

That’s a thing?

#4 2 years ago

When I think about, and start feeling guilty.

#5 2 years ago

Once a year, you have a clearcoat on all your pins.

#6 2 years ago

C. 300 months
    D. You’re lazy
    E. Both C and D

I’m gonna go E over here. I used to love doing A and B too, a freshly waxed Steve Ritchie game is such a rush. Now I give my rag a couple of pumps of Wizards shine in between repairs and call it a day. I do use that rubber cleaner that PBL sells frequently and clean or replace my balls often.

#7 2 years ago

Time or number plays aren't good measures. Too many variables.

Clean when you see ball trails in the inlanes. Most modern games will show dirt in the inlanes first. Wax older games when they start slowing down. New games don't need wax. Just keep them clean. Wipe the balls down good, then look at them closely in bright light. If they're tarnished or have any nicks, get new ones. Low carbon pinballs only for games with magnets.

#8 2 years ago

You will get a thousand different thoughts about this on here. I generally clean, wax and replace balls every 500 plays. For me, this is every 4-6 months. Find what works best for you and how clean and fast you like your games.

#9 2 years ago

I'm surprised at how many people must keep track of the number of games played.
    I don't pay attention to the counters or audits, so I have no idea how many games are played.
    For me it's the same as "How often do you put gas in your car?", which is "When it needs it."

#10 2 years ago

Once a year, and they probably dont even need that.

#11 2 years ago

That's what I figured, "when ever I get around to it...". Thanks for all the replies!

#12 2 years ago

Cleaned and vaxxed, that's how I like em.

#13 2 years ago

On the rare occasion I do a topside teardown/shop job, I wax before reassembly. Otherwise basically never. In the past decade I've bought more new games than old, never bothered to wax them.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from Timberhusk:

I have a bunch of machines in my shop. Some get played more often then others. The shop gets dusty because we live in the high desert. How often should the playfields be cleaned and waxed? Should it be based on number of plays or months? And what about changing out the balls, never thought about that before either??

As needed.

#15 2 years ago

Once on one pin.

#16 2 years ago

I sand and clear coat my games once a year. 12 layers at least or it may as well be players condition.

#17 2 years ago

Depends on the game. Always when i shop them. Usually if the glass is off for repairs. And sometimes if they look dirty.

#18 2 years ago

Almost never these days. I used to clean and wax every six months or so, but you just don't need to. I wait for pretty good dirt trails in the inlanes.

Contrary to the advice of many, you don't need to change out balls much either. Many 90s games were routed heavily with the same balls for years. No issues. Modern clear is way thicker.

#19 2 years ago

Once every 2-3 years and I keep them real clean in between with simple wipe and novus 1 every once in a while. I also am not playing tons of games, just a few a week usually.

#20 2 years ago

Depends on the game. The older ones with rough pfs or insert wear damage I'll wax more often to protect it. Others, only once every other year or so.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from shovelhed:

Once a year, you have a clearcoat on all your pins.

This. I usually do it before each show...ie tpf and after to clean the crud off from massive play they receive during the show.

#22 2 years ago

About once a year.

#23 2 years ago

I used to clean and wax and new balls once a year. I have stopped waxing clear coated games. I clean at the very least once a year with novus 1. Star Wars has been getting tons of play so I have cleaned it like 3 times already since March when I got it NIB. Balls every year or so or when they look suspect. I still wax my EMs and would wax any game without clear coat or that has wear.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-often-do-you-wax-your-playfields-300-plays-or-3-months and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.