(Topic ID: 186031)

How often do you tighten your leg bolts?

By Damien

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Damien
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

legplate (resized).jpg
    IMG_0577 (resized).PNG
    #1 7 years ago

I tightened up my legs bolt a couple of nights ago, and went to check tonight, and I was able to tighten them up again.

I have been nudging the machine a bunch, and wondered if an hour or two of playing and nudging could loosen the bolts up? Seems like they should hold in there better than that.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

#2 7 years ago

2 Williams...1 Gottlieb....still tight since setup....3+ years.........Joey

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from Damien:

I tightened up my legs bolt a couple of nights ago, and went to check tonight, and I was able to tighten them up again.
    I have been nudging the machine a bunch, and wondered if an hour or two of playing and nudging could loosen the bolts up? Seems like they should hold in there better than that.

I agree with you on this. I just check my games evety so often whenever I tuink about if. If there are friends over and the machines get heavg play then I will ususally check them after they leave or the next day.

#4 7 years ago

When you tighten, do you really crank it until it's snug?

I basically turn my socket with moderate force until I can't go anymore.

#5 7 years ago

I don't crank on them super hard because I'm afraid I may damage the cabinet but I get them pretty snug. They are definitly tight and they do definitly back off on their own

#6 7 years ago

With leg protectors in place just crank them down good and you shouldn't have to do it again until you need to move the pin. If you're continually tightening your leg bolts it's because you didn't tighten them enough to begin with.

And if you're worried about stripping the mounting plate just order some of these. They are superior to,the stock places and very easy to install.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-11400-1

IMG_0577 (resized).PNGIMG_0577 (resized).PNG

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from Damien:

snug your led bolts then take two 3/8" nuts (9/16" wrench) and add them to the inside of each leg bolt if you lock these two nuts together against the inner plate you should be good for a long time.

#8 7 years ago

I make them nice and snug on initial setup and only tighten in the future if the game feels loose...rarely happens.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

With leg protectors in place just crank them down good and you shouldn't have to do it again until you need to move the pin. If you're continually tightening your leg bolts it's because you didn't tighten them enough to begin with.
    And if you're worried about stripping the mounting plate just order some of these. They are superior to,the stock places and very easy to install.
    http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-11400-1

Be careful with these because those threaded "bolts" are only pressed in and you could spin them if a bolt gets cross threaded. That's what happened to one on my HS that I put them on, had to cut it off and get a new plate. I took all of them off and had a buddy weld the pressed in threads. No chance of them spinning now.

#10 7 years ago

Honestly, I've seen enough stripped leg bolt plates and leg bolts due to over tightening, I just snug them up once, and call it a day. Never had any issue with loose leg bolts on any of my games since I've first set them up, and it's been years.

#11 7 years ago

On the hour, every hour.

#12 7 years ago

Use a lock-tight blue

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from stoptap:

On the hour, every hour.

Ah HA!!!!! So you admit to neglecting the 30 minute tightening intervals. Well, I can see this hobby means nothing to you.

#14 7 years ago

Just played two games of MMR, and checked with the wrench, and I was able to tighten it a little more (which leads me to believe it is loosening a bit as I play).

I have the machine on a laminate floor with rubber caster covers, so when I nudge it, there is definitely some force. The machine does not slide. I also took out the tilt bob to give me more freedom!

Should this be happening?

#15 7 years ago

Any suggestions for creaky leg bolts while nudging?

#16 7 years ago

I thought you were suppose to keep them just a tad bit loose so that you can nudge it without a ton of force? My tables are on laminate with sliders underneath so i can nudge without too much effort, but i dont think i would want them so tight so they dont give at all. Then nudging becomes a full body excercise, no?

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

I thought you were suppose to keep them just a tad bit loose so that you can nudge it without a ton of force? My tables are on laminate with sliders underneath so i can nudge without too much effort, but i dont think i would want them so tight so they dont give at all. Then nudging becomes a full body excercise, no?

uh oh, look out. Here come the 'table' police.

#18 7 years ago

I was severely scolded several months ago for calling a pinball machine a 'table.'

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Be careful with these because those threaded "bolts" are only pressed in and you could spin them if a bolt gets cross threaded. That's what happened to one on my HS that I put them on, had to cut it off and get a new plate. I took all of them off and had a buddy weld the pressed in threads. No chance of them spinning now.

You are dead right. These plates are a huge improvement over the earlier types but your experience is a common one. That's why we pressed, and then welded the rivnuts to our plates before electroplating.

The other part is called a "cabinet protector" - I also often make the mistake of calling it a "leg protector" and that isn't its purpose - it's to protect the cabinet and decals.

legplate (resized).jpglegplate (resized).jpg

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

I was severely scolded several months ago for calling a pinball machine a 'table.'

And rightly so - LOL

#21 7 years ago

Righty loosey, lefty tighty. But for some reason I keep tightening them and they seem to get looser each time and I have no idea why? Any idea's ??

John

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

On laminate with sliders... Doesn't your pin move all over the place?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-often-do-you-tighten-your-leg-bolts-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.