(Topic ID: 221417)

How often do you play your pinball machines?

By ausretrogamer

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 86 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by cait001
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180707_174829 (resized).jpg
    There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

I always thought that if I had pinball machines at home I would play them every day for a few hours without a doubt.
    I only have two machines in our collection (TWD Pro & an AFMR LE) which I used to play at least 3 to 5 times per week for about an hour or so each session. I’d also add that my wife is into pinball as well, the TWD Pro was her birthday gift a few years ago.
    Anyway, since having a new addition to the family (our baby, not a new pinnie), I am struggling to find time to go out in the games room and play. My time with my wife and newborn is precious and will always be my top priority, but I thought I would ask the community how much each of you play your games (per week) and how to manage to juggle it all (work, family time, rest, recreation etc).

PS: I can’t wait to introduce our bub to this wonderful game called pinball (she already loves the lights on the AFMR LE).

#2 5 years ago

Hardly ever right now. I played tonight for the first time in a while.

#3 5 years ago

3 to 4 times a week. My work days are just too long and start early.

#4 5 years ago

I now find it more fun to hit a barcade, drop $40 on beer and games, and keep the tens of thousands of dollars I had in games, in the stock market. If you don’t enjoy fixing and maintaining your pinball machines, then that shit gets old fast.

Well two NIB Stern disintegrating in front of my eyes didn’t help either

I LOVE pinball, just enjoy it like going to the movies now.

#5 5 years ago

I have at home 3 pin.twd pro ... imve and xmen pro floor play every day around 45 mints ....

#6 5 years ago

Depends. We definitely play more and have people over with the purpose of playing more in the later fall/winter as it gets too cold to be outside. In the summer, maybe 2-3 times a week for either a quick game or two as I go to switch laundry or an hour here or there in the evening. Like any hobby it comes and goes, but that's why it's great to be fortunate enough to own a few - I can ignore them for a week if I want, or play them for a week straight, but they'll always be there. We spend a lot more time outside in the summer and I have a new pin project and other hobbies as well that sometimes "get in the way" of playing, along with my family and friends and work, house upkeep, etc.

One thing we learned after having a baby (now almost two years old - loves watching the games be played and hitting the buttons) is that you need to prioritize what you want to do with your free time better to balance everything. We watch a lot less mindless TV than we did two years ago, I play less videogames, and I have less time to work on and play my games. I still do all that stuff, but it becomes a trade off. If I have two free hours I'll spend it playing God of War if I want, but then back to real life, where as a few years ago I'd kill a whole Saturday afternoon playing Destiny with friends.

I try to remember this - we are incredibly fortunate to be able to have a house, stable job, and healthy family, a lot of people don't have that, let alone pinball machines in their house. The games won't go anywhere if you don't play them for a week, your time with family and friends - you can't get back .

#7 5 years ago

I’ve been here on pinside a lot this week, haven’t turned on a single pin. Definitely need to go downstairs and play. Been too busy making Wantdataeast memes

#8 5 years ago

I play probably once a week right now....

#9 5 years ago

In the summer I rarely play
    I play quite a bit during the winter

#10 5 years ago

Last night was the first time in about 4 months.

#11 5 years ago

I feel weird If I don't play daily

Strange mental withdrawals occur.

#12 5 years ago

Congrats on the new addition - truly priceless!

I'm down to nearly every day for 3 - 4 games. My wife is no longer that interested, nor my son, so mostly 1 player games.

Family time rules, unless you're having an incredible game!

#13 5 years ago

Usually every night for 1-2hrs. Sad thing is, I’m still mediocre at best.....hahaha

#14 5 years ago

I usually get at least 3 games in per day, which equals an hour or less of play. That figure of 3 games varies though, as in if I fire up TSPP and one game lasts 45 minutes, that's pretty much enough pinball for me, but if I fire up Fish Tales and I play 6 games that only last about 5 minutes each, that 30 minutes of pinball might be enough for me.

#15 5 years ago

It's probably like having a nice car in the garage. You get pleasure from having it there, and its there for you to take for a spin when you feel like it, but that might not be for a while.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

I usually get at least 3 games in per day, which equals an hour or less of play. That figure of 3 games varies though, as in if I fire up TSPP and one game lasts 45 minutes, that's pretty much enough pinball for me, but if I fire up Fish Tales and I play 6 games that only last about 5 minutes each, that 30 minutes of pinball might be enough for me.

That's time for about 20 games of Flash Gordon

#17 5 years ago

We have 10 pins. I try to play them 3 or 4 times a week. I spend a lot of time repairing ones that I have purchased. I just purchased IJ that needs a full restore. Currently working on Jurrasic Park.

20180707_174829 (resized).jpg20180707_174829 (resized).jpg
    #18 5 years ago

Everyday, off and on all day. I’m prob playing 20 games or so a day. My oldest son plays way more though. He’s close to 50-60 games a day. Although he’s on summer break now. We’ve put over 1000 plays on our bsd in the couple weeks we’ve had it.

#19 5 years ago

I pretty much play daily......at least a few games. I have 7 games and try to spread the love. My 6 year old is starting to get into it a bit more and wants to play a 6 game tourney every night, after it gets dark.

#20 5 years ago

Not much in the summer.

I got home from the gym at 8pm last night. By the time I ate and got cleaned up, it was 9:15. Being that last night was gorgeous, I decided to take my car out for a spin. Once it's cold out, it'll sit in the garage until next summer, so I try to drive it as much as I can.

#21 5 years ago

Everyday probably around 10 games. I have 4 machines now. When I had the three Term 2, WPT, Demo man. T2 got played everyday and the others on the weekend. Now I have the Tron it gets played everyday.

#22 5 years ago

I have friends over every Sunday. Other than that I never play.

#23 5 years ago

Short answer a lot. Rarely a day goes by when I'm home that I don't play something. There have been some days where I play everything within a day.

This doesn't make me a better player. I play some games more than others but usually play everything at least once a week. My problem is rotation since what I have I don't want to sell.

Played SMVE this morning with my coffee.

#24 5 years ago

I go through waves of playing, mostly due to life and not having a lot of time for recreational stuff some days.

On most days, I do play a few games at least.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

I now find it more fun to hit a barcade, drop $40 on beer and games, and keep the tens of thousands of dollars I had in games, in the stock market. If you don’t enjoy fixing and maintaining your pinball machines, then that shit gets old fast.

While this option is definitively more economical, I find that I've become spoiled by having games at home fully under my control. I now HATE playing games on route when I can't hear them which is probably 90% of the time. The pleasure (luxury?) of having games at home, and set up the way you want, is very nice.

I probably play mine selectively 3 - 4 times on average per week including a long session typically during the weekend.

#26 5 years ago

With summer around not as much. My guests played all of them on the 4th of July at our party. I might play a couple of games once or twice in a week.

#27 5 years ago

Sometimes weeks go by before I can work on them or play them. I have 3 assignments I have to report to from 26 July until 31 August, leaving me one week in August to even be home. 8 to 10 hour work days, 5 days a week, working my Masters, raising my 5 yr old stepson, and my fiancee pulling the same hours at work, as well as working on her Masters, and raising her son (my stepson) who starts kindergarten 11 August --- pinball just happens when we can get to it.

Have two PF swaps to do and a new JM to tweak. Whenever I can get to it....

#28 5 years ago

I try to play at least a couple games a day. But I have had stretches where I didn’t play for months.

#29 5 years ago

I probably have not played one in over a year or two. Right now I am spending my time doing other things. I have been spending a lot of time with my young daughter, so I really do not miss pinball. Its always there waiting for me anyway, so I will get back into it when the time is right. I just came across a whole package of LEDS that I got and now I don't even remember which machines they were for. I guess that it has been a while.

#30 5 years ago

Not enough. I think it might be because I am almost around pinballs 6 days a week. I have machines on Free Play for my customers at my shop and I have my collection at home. I always want to go play my collection, but time seems to slip away. As I write this I am hearing the Mario Andretti attract mode.

#31 5 years ago

I try and play a game or two everyday. I also play over the weekends when I have people over. Then again, sometimes I just enjoy watching other people playing my games and shoot the shit with anyone who isn't. Someone has to drink all the beer and make the popcorn.

#32 5 years ago

It is summer and we are spending a lot of time in our other hobby, boating/wakeboaridng. Still have some pretty good size parties once a week or so, but most of the time is spent outdoors at this time. I have boys 2 and 5 and the more I can keep them enjoying the outdoors the better. The games will all be there when it 40 degrees and raining.

May sound weird but I have bought a bunch of games this summer with no intention of giving them serious play. I will get them set up and ready for fall.

Last thing, kids kick your ass and take up all your time but they sure are awesome!

#33 5 years ago

I usually play every night for about an hour or so. Once the little padawan is in bed I go up to the game room and have my time of solitude. If my brother comes over (which he does once a week to play pinball) or a guy from league, we usually will play for like 3-4 hours straight. It never gets old.

#34 5 years ago

About twice a week in the summer. Nightly in the winter, also schedule most of the pinball projects for the winter...

#35 5 years ago

I only have a 2 game collection, and 1 of those is a new addition. If I'm around the house, I pretty much always play my Met Pro right after I get home from my 45+ minute commute from work. My system is I continue to play until I don't beat my previous high score for the day, which usually equates to 2 or 3 games at least.

#36 5 years ago

My two kids have their career jobs now, one has moved out, so that is part of the reason we have gotten back into pinball. To tell the truth, unfortunately I spend more time on Pinside and researching pinball stuff then I do playing pinball. I usually cheat the family evening TV time by reading through Pinside at the same time. (No loss to them) But I usually do play for half an hour to an hour every other day. That's either a bunch of Stern games, or a couple of JJP games. Not every day as that says I'm too addicted to it - so "they" say. Summer activities steals some of my time, but for winter it is a good hobby to have to work on them more in my free time.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

It's probably like having a nice car in the garage. You get pleasure from having it there, and its there for you to take for a spin when you feel like it, but that might not be for a while.

That's me. I go through different moods of playing and not playing. Tough thing is I only play later at night after working, chores, taking care of kids, doing dinner, etc. Those things just seem to demand more of my time and I just get tired. I still like to play a little but gets annoying when I start spotting things that need fixing, tweaking, or whatever. Always something. For some reason, those little things don't annoy me on games that aren't mine. Sometimes it's nice to just have the games on and watch the purty lights.

#38 5 years ago

I probably play for an hour maybe three or four times a week. When my little girl arrived three years ago I would rock her bassinet with one foot while I played AC/DC with the other. Babies like loud noise and movement so it was fine. It's good to have friendly theme pinnies around too. Personally I cant wait til Willy Wonka arrives.

#39 5 years ago

Congrats on your baby! We just had the newest addition to our family born 7:49pm last night

I only have one pin and definitely don’t get to play it as much as I like, (my pin is in my basement, directly below my 5 year old’s room) so any play after her bedtime is out of the question lol.

However, this also keeps the game fresh for me and really gives me the urge to play when I have the chance

#40 5 years ago

Usually every day here.
    After a big meal or a stressful day, Pinball is far healthier than sitting in a recliner, letting your mind, metabolism, and eyes, dull beyond repair.

#41 5 years ago

Most days but what was once an hour a day is now 2 to 5 games a day

#42 5 years ago

Still play most days. If not mine, I’m at a tournament, league, streaming others’ games or helping someone else with their stuff.

#43 5 years ago

Every day

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

I probably have not played one in over a year or two. Right now I am spending my time doing other things. I have been spending a lot of time with my young daughter, so I really do not miss pinball. Its always there waiting for me anyway, so I will get back into it when the time is right. I just came across a whole package of LEDS that I got and now I don't even remember which machines they were for. I guess that it has been a while.

Change out your batteries at least bro. Don’t want to walk back to “FACTORY SETTINGS RESTORED”

#45 5 years ago

Everyday

#46 5 years ago

Lately only weekends, but I have four kids and am remodeling my house so it's tough.

My pinball skills have gotten pretty bad at this point. Vicious cycle, because that makes me play less.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Lately only weekends, but I have four kids and am remodeling my house so it's tough.

Jeez I only have 1 kid and mixing in house stuff drains time like nobodies business that's for sure.

#48 5 years ago

Most days. Like 4-5 times a week.

#49 5 years ago

At least one game every day when possible. As I've built my collection, I've noticed I'm spending more than 2x my game play time on restore and repair efforts.
    Not a bad thing as I really enjoy working on machines and turning them from projects to presentable - very satisfying

Love having folks over both Pinhead and non to just watch THEM play. I will offer tips, talk about the machines or just soak up those moments of them really enjoying themselves ... so even when there are people over specifically to play I'm more likely to watch.

#50 5 years ago

Every few weeks at best. I honestly get as much (if not more) satisfaction from fixing my games. I definitely spend more them working on them than playing them. I have at least one game in pieces / being restored at any point in time.

I love playing them too, just don't make a lot of time for it. Of course, I average about 10 hours a day at work and have a 3 & 4 year old at the house. So there just isn't a lot of free time...

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-often-do-you-play-your-pinball-machines?hl=damoib and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.