(Topic ID: 221417)

How often do you play your pinball machines?

By ausretrogamer

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 86 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by cait001
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180707_174829 (resized).jpg
    There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago

Not much this time of year. Too many other things and house projects going on. I TRY to sneak a few games in on weekend nights, usually pretty late. Make a cocktail or 2, or 3, and play for awhile. Haven't played at all in the last month. Just losing the vibe right now I guess. . .

#52 5 years ago

I play them in waves. After big tournaments it takes a long time before I play them again.
    Some times I think about selling them all and just play on location, when I get to a location I am instantly reminded of why I own games.

#53 5 years ago

3 to 5 games a day.

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from ausretrogamer:

I only have two machines in our collection (TWD Pro & an AFMR LE)

There’s your problem. Neither of those games is a quick satisfying play. They both require time.

Get a fast hitter, like Iron Man, or a classic Stern or Bally. Something that you can play for 4 minutes and have an awesome fun game on. Very few people have hours to dedicate to playing these days, but you can still get all the pinball enjoyment from a short game. I’ve always said that’s Iron Man can give more satisfaction in 10 minutes than any other game can in an hour.

#55 5 years ago

Work on and play pinball daily.

#56 5 years ago

Every day is the ultimate goal; but, I only get to flip like 4-5 times a week. Occasionally, if I can't sleep I will head down at 2 am and play all night. Honestly, even though it wipes me out for a day or two, I love the glow of the games and getting to play without any distractions nor interruptions.

#57 5 years ago

At least a couple of games daily after work - a good way to decompress!

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from DirtyDeeds:

I probably play for an hour maybe three or four times a week. When my little girl arrived three years ago I would rock her bassinet with one foot while I played AC/DC with the other. Babies like loud noise and movement so it was fine. It's good to have friendly theme pinnies around too. Personally I cant wait til Willy Wonka arrives.

Were her first words “play better”?

#59 5 years ago

Usually several time a day. They are in the main room, so always begging to be played. Plus, the wife and I usually have a tournament going that ends every 2 weeks (I have tournament buttons on my machine). There’s a small pot of cash we compete for.

#60 5 years ago

Weekly, but some titles have not been turned on up to several years, and others remain in storage. Usually I play something every couple days for a few minutes

#61 5 years ago

Work on them daily so only reallybplay when guests are over and want to play.
    Hobby changed a bit once it became a job!

#62 5 years ago

Only play when I’m fully relaxed and not thinking about work and other shit

With that said last I played any of my 40+ games was 2 months ago

Just walking into the game room and looking at my games gives me feel good vibes and don’t need to play them for that feeling

#63 5 years ago

I work from home so I find myself taking frequent breaks to play a game or two

#64 5 years ago

I had a collection of 14 pins at 1 point. Just run out of time to play and my kids and wife have no interest. Down to 1 ACDC premium vault I’m selling in my collection. Always can buy back in a matter of hours or day thanks to pinside. Taking a break for now and enjoying my play car.

#65 5 years ago

I play mine two or three times a week for an hour or two but in spurts. Sometimes I'll realize its been like 3 months since I played then I'll play for three or four hours a couple nights in a row. Usually on the weekends after a few beers I'll get the idea 'hey I have pinball machines downstairs! Yea! and go play them. It's like I forget I have them sometimes and when I remember I get excited and go play!

#66 5 years ago

Every other day.

#67 5 years ago

I also work from home, so I play everyday, 2 Em's, a United Shuffle Alley and a mechanical skee ball. This way I find out if something is not working properly. I think the grandkids are afraid to tell me something is broken. lol..

#68 5 years ago

At the moment, we are playing for an hour or so every day. We have spent the last year and a half upgrading most of our collection so that I think will slow down soon. No sign of that yet!

#69 5 years ago

I have been playing about 2 times a week lately. Sometimes it can go as long as a couple of months without a game.

#70 5 years ago

Not much at all. That always changes in in Fall when football games are on and the days are shorter.

#71 5 years ago

Rarely play anymore, but I still like to light 'em up now and then and dream about the old days when I was on "The Hunt" every day of the week. That's what I miss the most. I will probably move most of my collection over to my son's house soon and let him carry on. Most of my time is now spent researching games. Hoping to make it easier for pinball historians 50+ years from now.

#72 5 years ago

We very rarely play during the week, as the machines are played virtually every Friday & Saturday night. We have an arcade room in the back of the house & the pins are in the front. We switch back & forth from Golden Tee, to Star Trek & then back to the JVL Encore, etc. My wife & I are very competitive, but overall she's the champ in the arcade department & I am PinWizard of the world!!! Well, at least in my own domain.

#73 5 years ago

Usually 6 days a week for 1-2 hours.

#74 5 years ago

Like many, work and life in general keeps me busy. But I did finish work a lil early today, and played all 4 of my games. My comet, being the newest to my small collection, gets played the most lately..but playing a few games of quick draw and royal guard-w the small flippers really kicked my ass! Lately, I’ll play for 1/2 hr every 2nd day....

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I’ve always said that’s Iron Man can give more satisfaction in 10 minutes than any other game can in an hour.

AMEN brother! That’s why I’ve had one in my collection since 2010!

#76 5 years ago

I think this is where me not being any good at pinball is actually a good thing. I can sneak downstairs and play a few games in a matter of minutes. I usually get in a couple games per day, but I do occasionally got a few weeks straight without playing at all.

#77 5 years ago

To be honest, frankly never. I haven't played a game since I moved into my new house. That was May 30th. I think it's actually time to lighten the collection abit. Most of my games still have under 150-200 plays since I got them.

#78 5 years ago

I play at least 6 days per week. My kids are grown and don’t live close and I’m single, so I have plenty of time to do what I want in the evenings. Fortunately my girl friend loves to play pinball. If anyone close to me has a EK they are not playing and thinking about moving it shoot me a pm.

#79 5 years ago

I played local barcade across the river tonight. I'm going to play a couple of hours more tonight.

#80 5 years ago
    Quoted from Brett-L:

Congrats on your baby! We just had the newest addition to our family born 7:49pm last night
    I only have one pin and definitely don’t get to play it as much as I like, (my pin is in my basement, directly below my 5 year old’s room) so any play after her bedtime is out of the question lol.
    However, this also keeps the game fresh for me and really gives me the urge to play when I have the chance

Thank you and CONGRATS too!

#81 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

There’s your problem. Neither of those games is a quick satisfying play. They both require time.
    Get a fast hitter, like Iron Man, or a classic Stern or Bally. Something that you can play for 4 minutes and have an awesome fun game on. Very few people have hours to dedicate to playing these days, but you can still get all the pinball enjoyment from a short game. I’ve always said that’s Iron Man can give more satisfaction in 10 minutes than any other game can in an hour.

An excellent tip! I did have Pin*Bot at one stage which was set to BRUTAL (I would manage about 2 good games out of 10), but got rid of it to make room for AFMR. Definitely in the market for a third pin, so I will keep this mind, thank you.

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from dnapac:

Usually several time a day. They are in the main room, so always begging to be played. Plus, the wife and I usually have a tournament going that ends every 2 weeks (I have tournament buttons on my machine). There’s a small pot of cash we compete for.

I reckon this is what we have to do - move the machines in the main living space so that they are always in your eyesight.

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from rvdv:

Only play when I’m fully relaxed and not thinking about work and other shit
    With that said last I played any of my 40+ games was 2 months ago
    Just walking into the game room and looking at my games gives me feel good vibes and don’t need to play them for that feeling

I must admit, walking in the games room (for a few mins) and just seeing them there is enough to get me by too.

#84 5 years ago

I play usually two games a piece after dinner on each machine. At the very least one game at least once a day.

#85 5 years ago

When I first got machines in my apartment, I played constantly. Now, I've been home for 2 weeks, and only played about 4 games.

#86 5 years ago

I am either playing or fixing so I do something pinball on probably 5 days a week.

When I have a project game, I play 1 or 2 times a week but it may be 1 game each time on non project games. When I am between projects I play 4-5 times a week and try to play at least 2 games on each game and work through the lineup to make myself a better player. I play better when I play 1 or 2 games on all of them vs playing an hour on the newest game.

I find my games get about 2000-2500 plays a year no matter how many I have. I assume that 6-7 game daily average is boosted by friends coming over and playing for 6 hours straight 10 or so times a year.

However at $.50 a play, that's $1250 max a year vs playing on location which I do a lot also.

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from KJL:

I am either playing or fixing so I do something pinball on probably 5 days a week.
    When I have a project game, I play 1 or 2 times a week but it may be 1 game each time on non project games. When I am between projects I play 4-5 times a week and try to play at least 2 games on each game and work through the lineup to make myself a better player. I play better when I play 1 or 2 games on all of them vs playing an hour on the newest game.
    I find my games get about 2000-2500 plays a year no matter how many I have. I assume that 6-7 game daily average is boosted by friends coming over and playing for 6 hours straight 10 or so times a year.
    However at $.50 a play, that's $1250 max a year vs playing on location which I do a lot also.

I never thought of it that way ($-pay per play vs playing on location). Thank you!

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

I now find it more fun to hit a barcade, drop $40 on beer and games, and keep the tens of thousands of dollars I had in games, in the stock market. If you don’t enjoy fixing and maintaining your pinball machines, then that shit gets old fast.
    Well two NIB Stern disintegrating in front of my eyes didn’t help either
    I LOVE pinball, just enjoy it like going to the movies now.

OK, I have an update to what I said, I just played TNA for the first time tonight and I think I dropped $20 playing it, the most I have ever spent on one game in a session. WOW! I’m addicated, so if I do buy a game one day again, it will be a TNA, as that game could be an expensive game for me to play on Route

#89 5 years ago

At least every other day. Sometimes 1 game and I’m done. Sometimes I’ll play for an hour.

#90 5 years ago

Once a week or less. Love the games but I have other interests plus a busy family and work. I enjoy having friends over to play much more than playing alone.

Not much location Pinball here.

#91 5 years ago

I usually play 3-4 nights a week. Typically when we have people over. We have the machines spread it in our house so it makes it easy to play a couple of games here and there.

#92 5 years ago

I'm retired. I got my pins to have something to do. I bought them to play. It is the best move I ever made and it makes me regret not buying a pin years ago.

I don't have to load up golf clubs and pay greens fees.
    I am not big on fishing. Fishing license = fees. Hunting is too much work. Hunting license = fees. Fishing lures and ammo are not cheap and I hate watching my money go up in smoke or disappear into the bottomless lake.
    I don't care for watching "sports" on TV.
    I used to like working on cars for fun but that desire left me years ago. I have reached the point in life that cars are transportation and 4-doors are more practical than 2-doors.

The acquisition and restoration of pinballs is not the cheapest thing I have ever done. But once they are fixed up and running all I have to do is throw the switch and it is cheap action time.

I play every day. Maybe for a couple of hours. Maybe for a couple of games.

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

While this option is definitively more economical, I find that I've become spoiled by having games at home fully under my control. I now HATE playing games on route when I can't hear them which is probably 90% of the time. The pleasure (luxury?) of having games at home, and set up the way you want, is very nice.

I appreciate both. I love going to locations and enjoying food and drink, but yeah I want the games to play great and to HEAR them. Lucky for me there are a few spots like that.
    Then I have 4 machines at home that all need a bit of work to them that I never quite get around too... I like setting them up, but I want to just hire someone to fix all of the things because I'm so tired by the end of the day.

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-often-do-you-play-your-pinball-machines/page/2?hl=potatoloco and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.