2012-10-21_16-40-25_902.jpg
2740_lg.jpg
pinbot5.jpg
pinbot4.jpg
pinbot3.jpg
pinbot2.jpg
Pinbot1.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I have owned this Pin*Bot for over 25 years and it just donged on me, I have never took it this far to clean it. Think that's a bit too long. How often do you guys go this far for a cleaning? I'm in the process of doing this to all my pins. Most of the time I clean them when the flippers start to get dirty. I don't normally remove all the posts and such.

Pinbot1.jpgPinbot1.jpg pinbot2.jpgpinbot2.jpg pinbot3.jpgpinbot3.jpg pinbot4.jpgpinbot4.jpg pinbot5.jpgpinbot5.jpg

#2 10 years ago

I've never gone that far. I've it a section at a time but not all at once. I can't stand to be without one of them for that long.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I can't stand to be without one of them for that long.

I can. My issue is my wife cannot Lol, half the time I am in the middle of waxing a pin and low & behold, she wants to play that one! Having one out more than a day and she makes it a topic of conversation every chance she gets. My wife is a great pin player (much better than me) so she likes to have them operational as much as possible

#4 10 years ago

I strip the Playfield to flat for every game. Then it gets a deep cleaning with magic eraser and 91% alcohol. All the posts get soaked and scrubbed with an electric toothbrush and redressed in fresh rubbers.

If I'm really motivated, all the mechs underneath get disassembled, cleaned and coils resleeved.

Once cleaned like this, it won't need cleaning for years. Just a coat of wax every so often to keep the ball fast.

It usually takes 10 to 15 hours.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from 5280wzrd:

I have owned this Pin*Bot for over 25 years and it just donged on me,

I think discussing anything relating to "donging" on pinside is clearly against community rules.

-jon

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from SchertzPinball:

...and 91% alcohol.

What is with that? You mean like rubbing alcohol? Does it work well? Always willing to learn and try something new. I have not gone to flat with a pin yet but I am sure it is in my future as soon as I, "Brave up" to the task lol.

#7 10 years ago

My WCS94 currently looks like that except the pile of plastic is more like a small mountain.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballdad:

What is with that? You mean like rubbing alcohol? Does it work well? Always willing to learn and try something new. I have not gone to flat with a pin yet but I am sure it is in my future as soon as I, "Brave up" to the task lol.

It evaporates quickly.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from SchertzPinball:

I strip the Playfield to flat for every game. Then it gets a deep cleaning with magic eraser and 91% alcohol. All the posts get soaked and scrubbed with an electric toothbrush and redressed in fresh rubbers.

Just finished two EMs recently. What alcohol do you use? Light scrubbing with the magic eraser?

#10 10 years ago

Yes, I have taken my PIN*BOT to this level of removing parts, just to clean, polish and wax the playfield. Also I was looking for more lights under the red ramp and surrounding plastic parts. I bought a heavily routed pin. I had it 3 days, then removed everything for service. It was very dirty and there were more than 2 dozen lamps out.

#11 10 years ago

"light scrubbing" is very important when using 91 rubbing alcohol. It can chew through paint pretty quickly if you're not careful.

#12 10 years ago

I have a toothbrush I use to wax&remove in the hard to reach areas, I like to have my machines playable at all times as much as possible but props to you for your thoroughness!

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

"light scrubbing" is very important when using 91 rubbing alcohol. It can chew through paint pretty quickly if you're not careful.

What about clear coat? Same issue or care needed?

#14 10 years ago

those are some cool pics and very informative cleaning tips! do you have a preferred wax?

#15 10 years ago

those are some cool pics and very informative cleaning tips! do you have a preferred wax?

I like this stuff...

2740_lg.jpg2740_lg.jpg

#16 10 years ago

I go beyond that every time I get one but then they seem to stay clean for a long time and don't have many issues so I think its worth it. You can kind of wax them every now and then and be ok. When I get caught up with my backlog I am going to do a better restoration on either Funhouse or my Twilight zone so I will see how dirty they actually get after a year or two.

#17 10 years ago

Not sure if the guy I bought my Pinbot from went quite that far, but it was squeaky clean when I got it. Haven't needed to clean beyond the exposed areas yet.

1 week later
#18 10 years ago

I use 91% rubbing alcohol and a magic eraser cut up into 10-12 cubes. Work slowly in small circles and you can get almost all the ground in dirt from the ball swirls.

2012-10-21_16-40-25_902.jpg2012-10-21_16-40-25_902.jpg

#19 10 years ago

The above picture was before magic eraser, and this one is the after shot.

2012-10-21_21-53-45_473.jpg2012-10-21_21-53-45_473.jpg

#20 10 years ago

I strip every machine as well when I get it (or when I get all the replacement parts I need to shop it). I rebuild flippers, slings, and anything else that is suspect.

I like them playing fast and violent.

#21 10 years ago

I have done that with my two oldest games. I'm sure it is easier if you have more than one game in your collection. For me, I never have time to commit to getting it done within a few days. I usually have to keep coming back to it over several weeks until it is finished.

Very important to take pictures during the removal process so you can use as a reference when putting back together. Trust me, you won't remember what you think you can remember!

Good luck with the project. I always enjoy the process and learn more for the next.

#22 10 years ago

Almost every single machine that comes in eventually gets the complete PF strip and extensive clean. Like the previous posters mentioned, if you do that once, the machine will be very nice for as long as you own it.

I know it's a lot of work, but look at it this way, you're improving the value of your machine AND making it more enjoyable to own. Quite often you're also improving how it plays because you're going to fix all the little issues when you do that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-often-do-you-go-this-far and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.