(Topic ID: 8891)

How often do you change rubbers on a pin?

By Shapeshifter

12 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by wesperron
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How often do you change rubbers on a pin?”

• Only when I get a new pin 3 votes
      10%
    • Never 0 votes
    • Once a year 7 votes
      23%
    • 2- 5 yrs 20 votes
      65%
    • Over 5 years 1 vote
      3%

(31 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 12 years ago

Just wondered as I changed rubbers on my WH20 ( well, most of them as could not get a few ) and noticed a huge difference.

My LOTR was made in 2005 and so rubbers are 6 years old. Wondering if I would get same effect as I did with WH20 if I changed them? I then wondered what everyone else does ?!

#2 12 years ago

Yes, change them once a year for max speed.

#3 12 years ago

Probably would see a change on replacing those 6 year old rubbers (also, 2005? I thought LoTR was 2003).

I've heard a few formulas for when to change rubbers. Some say when the flipper rubbers are dirty, but that happens far too fast on my TZ. Some say that they should be changed when the slingshot rubbers, when taken off, don't go back to a round shape on their own.

It's hard to say exactly when you should change the rubbers - their performance is a function of the integral of an unknown, non-linear function of play, temperature, humidity, and other (unknown) factors - and even if you could predict the state of the rubbers, or if you were to measure their elasticity, it's hard to say where the line is to be drawn, because it's likely a reasonably smooth degradation. Likely, I say, because nobody (as far as I am aware) has studied it rigorously.

#4 12 years ago

At the latest every two years for me. At least at the amount I play them. I think that is probably the limit of their life. My buddy shopped the Getaway I bought 3 years before I got it and the rubbers really were shot. Climate and amount of play probably has an affect.
    If you can see fine cracking in the rubber, I would say it is past time.
    Man, it is time to redo my LOTR.

#5 12 years ago

I clicked 2-5 years but more often than not I sell the game before needing to change them twice.

#6 12 years ago

Depends when they wear out or break. Depends on the environment the game is in, the amount of play on the game, whether the game is truly clean when they go on it, etc.

#7 12 years ago

It depends on how often it's used...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-often-do-you-change-rubbers-on-a-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.