(Topic ID: 9508)

How often do you change out pinballs in your games? Who's do you use?

By jsandjs

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by v8torino
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TZ_Mirror_Glazed_ball_s_.jpg
    TZ_Mirror_Glazed_ball_s.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

I have wondered how often people change out the balls in their games? Do you go by number of games? Time?

#2 12 years ago

I usally shop twice a year and change balls during it.

#3 12 years ago

Good question, I've been wondering the same thing.

#4 12 years ago

Totally agree w/ Mojozone.

#5 12 years ago

Every six months and maybe a tumble in-between that, if there is a spike in play time. PF rubbers I tend to change every year and every six months I do the flipper rubbers with the coil sleeve maintenance. (Yes- I am anal...)

For balls, I usually use PL's Premium Ultra-Gloss' with the carbon cores. (Now that I have more games with magnets...)
    Keep those balls clean and shiny- your PF will thank you!

#6 12 years ago

change every year, or before that if i don't like the look of it, also depending if i played the machine a lot.
    some people rebuff them, it's so cheap i replace them.

#7 12 years ago

Cool thanks guys. Any other ball suggestion? I like Pinball Life's ultras too!

#8 12 years ago

depends on games played i'd say, as well as condition of playfield. i just check my balls and look for divots or a lack of any reflection. get the standard balls from marcospecilties for 1.59 a ball i want to say?

#9 12 years ago

I have the Standard balls in one machine and some ultra glossy in the other. Didn't think I'd notice too much of a difference but you can really tell the difference.

#10 12 years ago

I have switched over to silverjet. The last batch of ooohhh shinys from pbl looked hazy... like someone had tried to Polish a regular ball. The silverjets are always flawless.

#11 12 years ago

Annually. I tend to use the Pinball Life premiums.

#12 12 years ago

My last batch of Shiny PBL balls were also very hazy. I put them in my TSPP and you can visibly see the haze when there is ball spin going on. I've used silverjet before, they are very nice, but very overpriced. Especially if you buy from Marco where shipping is probably 20 dollars alone.

#13 12 years ago

There was a poll on what balls are used and premium is winning with 55% as of now. Pretty good comments.

See here:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-balls-do-you-use-vote-for-your-method

#14 12 years ago

I usually go with the premium ultra gloss from PBL but if I am going through Marco for an order I get the silverjet premiums and I don't see much if any difference between the two. Pretty soon I am going to try the premium chromium steel pinballs from Pinbits in my Congo to see how they are since that pin does not have any magnets. I change them out about every 5 to 7 months or when I start seeing them in poor condition. Since they are pretty affordable I just buy new and change them all out at the same time.

#15 12 years ago

do you guys ever wax balls?

#16 12 years ago

How many PLAYS does a 6 month or yearly replacement usually amount to for you guys?

#17 12 years ago

Just Loaded up AFM after the Shop with 4 Highly Gloss'd ball's from in the Pict- below.. I had just 1 more pack . Packed in Oil for Long Tyme Pleasure !!

TZ_Mirror_Glazed_ball_s.jpgTZ_Mirror_Glazed_ball_s.jpg TZ_Mirror_Glazed_ball_s_.jpgTZ_Mirror_Glazed_ball_s_.jpg

#18 12 years ago

once or twice a year,
    I order at bling

http://www.blingpinballs.com/?p=chsb

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from mojozone:

That's pretty much what I do too.

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

My last batch of Shiny PBL balls were also very hazy. I put them in my TSPP and you can visibly see the haze when there is ball spin going on. I've used silverjet before, they are very nice, but very overpriced. Especially if you buy from Marco where shipping is probably 20 dollars alone.

Very interesting! I've noticed exactly the same thing. I need to talk to Terry about this.

#21 12 years ago

Thanks for the help guys!

Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I usually go with the premium ultra gloss from PBL but if I am going through Marco for an order I get the silverjet premiums and I don't see much if any difference between the two. Pretty soon I am going to try the premium chromium steel pinballs from Pinbits in my Congo to see how they are since that pin does not have any magnets. I change them out about every 5 to 7 months or when I start seeing them in poor condition. Since they are pretty affordable I just buy new and change them all out at the same time.

Do chromium not work well with games with magnets? I need to order some soon might give the silverjet ones a try.

Quoted from LorenZ:

once or twice a year,
    I order at bling
    http://www.blingpinballs.com/?p=chsb

Gonna check these out too. Thanks.

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from shanetastic:

I have switched over to silverjet. The last batch of ooohhh shinys from pbl looked hazy... like someone had tried to Polish a regular ball. The silverjets are always flawless.

+1

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballerchef:

shanetastic said:I have switched over to silverjet. The last batch of ooohhh shinys from pbl looked hazy... like someone had tried to Polish a regular ball. The silverjets are always flawless.
    +1

So that's four of us who have noticed that the quality of PBL's "oooh shiny" pinballs have gone down. I've definitely noticed this with the last two batches that I've bought. I thought the first time was a fluke, then the second batch was just as disappointing. I wonder what the difference is?

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from mojozone:

I've got to ask...

What's your definition of "shop". I know I'm sure as heck not shopping a pin twice a year!

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

What's your definition of "shop"

I am guessing a nice "Moisty-Nap" on the PF...

#26 12 years ago

I use the regular PBL balls and try to remember to change once a year. I'm too cheap to buy the more expensive balls and honestly, I always stop myself and wonder if I'm being too anal of a collector rather than a player. Makes me feel better about buying regular balls. No disrespect to the shiny ball people they are cool but the quality of regular balls is quite good.

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

I've got to ask...

What's your definition of "shop".

Well my 2 machines (would like a couple more-someday hopefully) are Babied to the max,they are in a CONSTANT state of being shopped.
    Anything that needs addressed is taken care of in a somewhat timely manner,Always ck. for burnt out bulbs,Cleaning the playfield,R&R/Clean dirty rubbers,Thinking about mods, etc., etc.-That's what I call regular maintenance.
    A shop job for me is what I just did to my WH2O,Clean the heck out of about everything,R&R some major parts that are damaged,Pretty much strip the playfield and clean it,and wax it 2 or 3 times,R&R coil sleeves and springs,Rubbers,O-Rings,Post sleeves,Cliffys protectors,Vacuum out the cabinet and things along those lines.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-often-do-you-change-out-pinballs-in-your-games-whos-do-you-use and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.