Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by AkumaZeto
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Is the magnet burn all that common of an issue?

#2 10 years ago

Playfields are cheap, if you can find one. Maybe $1200 or so.

What do you think ?

DO IT. It is common, but even if not, what if your number comes up ? You want a big burn spot there in the middle of your playfied ? Terry at pinball life has a cheap ready to plug and play kit. If you don't want to make your own.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Is the magnet burn all that common of an issue?

If the transistor dies in the "on" position it burns the playfield. It might not be widespread but its a known issue and has happened to games in the past.

It cheap insurance and a easy "mod" to do.

#4 10 years ago

What these guys said. It may NEVER be needed, but if it ever is and you don't have it...

Airbags in vehicles will hopefully never be needed either, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Just my $0.02

P.S. The fuse mod takes, literally, 30 seconds to install. It's a no-brainer, in my humble opinion.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Playfields are cheap, if you can find one. Maybe $1200 or so.
What do you think ?
DO IT. It is common, but even if not, what if your number comes up ? You want a big burn spot there in the middle of your playfied ? Terry at pinball life has a cheap ready to plug and play kit. If you don't want to make your own.
LTG : )

I actually ordered it from Pinball Life yesterday after reading about the issue... I've only owned TAF for about 7 months and only became aware of the issue when it popped up on a mod search. Definitely don't want my playfield frying. Just wondering how common the problem is

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I actually ordered it from Pinball Life yesterday after reading about the issue... I've only owned TAF for about 7 months and only became aware of the issue when it popped up on a mod search. Definitely don't want my playfield frying. Just wondering how common the problem is

It's a rare problem. But it has been known to happen and can be quite devastating if it does.

More than likely you'll never have to worry about it, but like Lloyd said, if your number does come up you'll beat yourself silly with a crowbar for not having installed the fuses.

But, you just said you ordered them, so you're all good.

#7 10 years ago

Note the magnet burn on the smoke rising up from the mansion. This isn't a picture of my machine (thank god) but a good example of why not to chance it.

http://www.dirtguyhome.com/Addams%20Family/Hi%20Res%20Orig/Chair%20Hole.jpg

Picture credit goes to google images...

#8 10 years ago

Thanks for the visual. That would SUCK

#9 10 years ago

The PBL "kit" is a plug & play option. I used a standard fuse block and hard wired.
Either way its a very good thing to do and you will not be toasting your PF.

#10 10 years ago

Do the magnets stay on even when the machine is off? I ask because I knew from day one that if, in the half hour per day that mine is on, I notice the magnet takes my ball away, I'm shutting it down right away and fixing it(just like I do with any other issues/lights burned out). I never thought that it might be an issue when the machine is off....so, is it?

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Do the magnets stay on even when the machine is off? I ask because I knew from day one that if, in the half hour per day that mine is on, I notice the magnet takes my ball away, I'm shutting it down right away and fixing it(just like I do with any other issues/lights burned out). I never thought that it might be an issue when the machine is off....so, is it?

Nope, with the game off, the magnet is off. If it was on 24/7, your pf would be a nice tasty shade of brown, especially if the fuses weren't installed.

#12 10 years ago

No. It is an electro-magnet and requires power to energize/burn.

Curious as to why this is a TZ issue and not systemic to all Magna-save's? Worse I've seen was spot ball wear before.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

No. It is an electro-magnet and requires power to energize/burn.
Curious as to why this is a TZ issue and not systemic to all Magna-save's? Worse I've seen was spot ball wear before.

Its a taf issue, and those magnets get pulsed a lot more than the tz/magna save magnets. I think data east learned a lesson from Bally since their magnets on gnr are fused.

#14 10 years ago

Yes, do it. cheap precaution for an expensive problem.

#15 10 years ago

Shit I throw in under rated fuses just encase there is a line surge on the magnets. do IT

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,159.00
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 180.00
20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-necessary-is-taf-magnet-fuse-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.