(Topic ID: 109338)

How Much Would You Rent Your House Out For?

By KingNine

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by KingNine
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kingnine.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I have a small company that is a good customer of mine and the owner is into pinball. She has asked me if we would consider renting out our house for her company Christmas party. Only about 20 people. (I've had more people over for a tournament before) Space isn't an issue but I don't know what to ask that would be reasonable. Any suggestions?

#21 9 years ago

Well Thanks for the responses so far. Lots of things to think about. I would be there to supervise and make sure the games are working for them. The other half of my family happens to own a catering center and they would be the caterer. (direct contract through them, not me)

Never thought about the insurance thing. Not being covered becuase we would be paid could be a huge turn off. I'll need to check into that more for sure! I also like the idea of maybe renting her some specific machines and bringing them to her as well. The comment above about not being paid but letting her provide a gift of some sort is interesting as well.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Nope. Don't do it. We were asked to do something like this for Halloween - basically a Halloween party. My wife and I didn't even think about it - immediate answer from both of us before even consulting with each other was "Nope."
    Ain't worth it dude. You have no idea who is coming, who they know, what their intentions are, what their backgrounds are, and tons of potential for 5 finger discounts.
    No way.

I hear this argument and it has been brought up by a few on here. I've had three pinball party/tournaments in the last year, and while I love all my pinball friends on here, I don't know any of you that well either. It worked out and I did make some good friends up to this point. If I think of it this way I'm afraid that all future pinball tournaments I might plan would be out unless we don't qualify them for IFPA points and keep 'em closed. My love of pinball, and wanting to share it, is strong.

Quoted from centerflank:

Charge the exact price of what it would cost to buy your next machine (TRON pro or Met premium)

Since I wouldn't be providing food or alchohol I don't think I could get that much but I like the way you think lol.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

Neat idea, but the liability is the big issue. My wife and my mother both had "team building" work things in my gameroom, basically no payment, but their company brings the food and drink, and I eat and get loaded for fwee! I didn't care about payment, as I like watching non-pinheads, and seeing which games they seem drawn too. It was interesting.

Talk to your insurance agent, see what is required for you to be insured, and they pay that, on top of whatever else you feel you want, if anything. I might request a certified bartender in the future, as this would (depending on the law of the land), cut out any host liability against you to anyone who is served while at your residence.

Possibly a hold harmless and indemnifying agreement by the company for any possible issues involving injury or death (slip/trip and falls etc.).

Probably my biggest concern right here and almost equal to the customer relationship I have being ruined. They love our business and both our businesses have a great symbiotic relationship with each other. It is so good that I don't think much could harm it at the moment but never say never is my approach.

Quoted from ryanwanger:

I would be tempted to do it, especially if you are around to hang out with them and play pinball during...sounds like you have a good relationship with the company.

Get paid $500 or $1000 to play pinball all night at your own house? Sign me up!

This is kinda what I'm thinking. Someone pays me to play my own machines for a night. How does life get better than that lol?

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from donjagra:

Good client that pays their bill and you want to retain them for a long time? I would probably offer the place for free, but have them cover everything else. All the expense, liability, booze, taxi service, etc... If they decide to hire your family catering service, even better. Charge for that. A little bit of goodwill with a client goes a long way.

Been tempted to do this as well. They love to cover cost and probably wouldn't accept it for free. It's on my mind though.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

If you are around and someone can monitor spaces that are "out of bounds" then that is more acceptable. I would let them know of a fee to rent and then have them sign a waiver that if anything gets broken by one of the invitees that they are on the hook for it. Whether it be pinball related or something else. There is always that special someone that turns into a nutcase after a few too many drinks.

Yup. The special someone could be that turning point that I mentioned never say never to above. I have a good relationship with them and will bring these concerns up with them as I move forward with, or deny, their request.

#46 9 years ago

Thanks for all the good advice. I'm taking it all to heart and thinking about it.

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from smokey_789:

Partygoer steps in dog poop in neighbors lawn because he had to park way down the street. Doesn't notice it until he's been in your game room for 15 minutes. Game over.

LOL. Not an issue where I live thank goodness

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

lol at the post. I wouldn't let you in my house either!

Funny!

They aren't super rich but they own thier own company and and are far from cheapskates with their business. Service is what they pride themselves on and what has driven them for all these years. I'm still on the fence with this.

1 week later
    #67 9 years ago

No I haven't. Been out of town all week at IAAPA. Im still wrestling with how much

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kingnine.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-would-you-rent-your-house-out-for?tu=kingnine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.