(Topic ID: 109338)

How Much Would You Rent Your House Out For?

By KingNine

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by KingNine
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

I have a small company that is a good customer of mine and the owner is into pinball. She has asked me if we would consider renting out our house for her company Christmas party. Only about 20 people. (I've had more people over for a tournament before) Space isn't an issue but I don't know what to ask that would be reasonable. Any suggestions?

#2 9 years ago

This is a new one lol
    Have no idea what to advise but will be an interesting thread for sure !!
    Best of luck

#3 9 years ago

They buy the booze and food. (All of your choosing.) Order booze for 40 and keep what's left......

#4 9 years ago

20 strangers drinking til the're shitfaced touching my pins and going through my medicine cabinets....no thanks!

#5 9 years ago

Great way to destroy your house, lose a good customer, and lots of other problems.

Space isn't the issue. 20 people you don't know is. You have no idea how they'll behave or what they are capable of.

Tell them you are too busy during the holidays with your own families and friends to take on more.

There's likely a good reason they haven't rented a back room at a restaurant or similar venue.

LTG : )™

#6 9 years ago

also 20 people you don't know very well now knowing your address and what you have in your house...

#7 9 years ago

Couldn't agree more with the above comments. This is just asking for trouble. Not worth the $.

#8 9 years ago

Personally, if you really want to do this, I would just let them use it for free. If she wants to buy you a gift card to take your wife out while they use your house, perfect.
    I'm an insurance agent and I know that (with my company at least) if something were to happen while you are being paid for an event to be there it will cause you issues during a claim process.

#9 9 years ago

Booze and people that are normally pinball people sounds pretty risky. I would only consider it if you'll have people there (including yourself) to keep an eye open. Couple egg nogs and Joe from accounting is suddenly picking your pin up and smashing it around to free a stuck ball.

#10 9 years ago

No way I'd do it either. I'd sooner work out a rental for my machines to bring them to some hotel or something, but even that would have to be worth my while.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from KingNine:

I have a small company that is a good customer of mine and the owner is into pinball. She has asked me if we would consider renting out our house for her company Christmas party. Only about 20 people. (I've had more people over for a tournament before) Space isn't an issue but I don't know what to ask that would be reasonable. Any suggestions?

If you'd consider any options over just saying now. Maybe let them rent the pins. Limit the amount of damage they can do to you. lol.

Seriously though that's a strange request, but I don't know all the details.

#12 9 years ago

I've thought about opening my basement for a friend's kid's birthday party, but my house isn't child safe with all the collectibles at low level, and I'm afraid it wouldn't be worth it for the stress alone.

That being said, the local (2 hours away) arcade charges $10 for all day play, so if you've got 20 people for a few hours, I'd say around $200 would be the going street rate. Maybe more as a private venue. If your gameroom is a separate area and you could be home to supervise (because you know something's going to get stuck or stop working somehow) then it might not be too bad. I don't know what kind of company it is, but I know there's no way in heck anyone at my company holiday parties drinks until drunk or acts like an idiot for fear of losing a job.

#13 9 years ago

Interesting...hard to throw a price out there. I would be tempted....all mine are in the basement so I would just rent the basement with a dep. Part of the deal would be i will be home and upstairs and not bother them. My basement has a full kitchen/bar and bathroom so everything they could need. Also is a walkout so they would be able to enter and exit the house without leaving the basement. Them knowing what you h ave could worry a person but what's different than the average dude on cl coming and seeing a collection. Plus that's why security systems are handy. You would think the employees would be a little trust worthy but who knows. Will be interested to hear what you decide to do

#15 9 years ago

I'd find out how much they're offering. How much would they have to pay to go somewhere else? What did they pay LAST year? It might be too good to pass up. And do you happen to know if they're the sort of folks who would be respectful of your property? If they're a good, trustworthy bunch, go for it.

#16 9 years ago

I was working at a local upscale restaurant. They had a party coming and the company boss was there negotiating. 40 people with light snacks and drinks (limited drink menu) was 4400. To move to the bigger room, it was 50 more per person, which gave access to top shelf drinks. So 40 people with nothing but light food and booze was 6400! I almost threw up and the company shall ever remain nameless. She had no problem with the smaller room and wanted to sleep on the upgrade. This was a party booked for 2 hours fyi!

Post edited by cougtv: Typo increased number of peole later in my example

#17 9 years ago

Corporate parties cost money. Entertainment at corporate parties cost money. I definitely wouldn't be giving away the farm (in this case, my house).

#18 9 years ago

Once you charge them any thing that could happen will not be covered by insurance. In other words don't do it.

#19 9 years ago

joystix in houston charges $500/hr

i agree with just renting the pins, though

#20 9 years ago

Check with your home insurance, find out what it would cost you to cover the event. Then double it at minimum. Cover your ass if you consider it. It would be no different then having a wedding tent up for a private event.

I'd only consider it if the game room is separate from the rest of the house with an easily accessable washroom. No reason to have people wandering through your house.

#21 9 years ago

Well Thanks for the responses so far. Lots of things to think about. I would be there to supervise and make sure the games are working for them. The other half of my family happens to own a catering center and they would be the caterer. (direct contract through them, not me)

Never thought about the insurance thing. Not being covered becuase we would be paid could be a huge turn off. I'll need to check into that more for sure! I also like the idea of maybe renting her some specific machines and bringing them to her as well. The comment above about not being paid but letting her provide a gift of some sort is interesting as well.

#22 9 years ago

It seems a slightly odd request. The partygoers will not necessarily play pinball for the duration of the party-what else do they do in your house. It seems to me it is all about your approach to the customer relationship. If you particularly value this relationship and you have trust in the Principal, and their are ground rules for what happens & does not happen, I would put it on gratis as your commitment to the partnership & its future.

#23 9 years ago

I would be tempted to do it, especially if you are around to hang out with them and play pinball during...sounds like you have a good relationship with the company.

Get paid $500 or $1000 to play pinball all night at your own house? Sign me up!

#24 9 years ago

Did she happen to tell you how hot her 20 guests are? Could be Victoria's Secret. How could you turn them away?

#25 9 years ago

You need to add up the cost of the:

Insurance for the night ($175 if you serve alcohol )

Professional cleaning the next day $200

Food $400

Booze $500 (basic good stuff)

Pony Keg + tap $100

Taxi Service for a few guests $100

So $3500 should nicely cover the event.

#26 9 years ago

Neat idea, but the liability is the big issue. My wife and my mother both had "team building" work things in my gameroom, basically no payment, but their company brings the food and drink, and I eat and get loaded for fwee! I didn't care about payment, as I like watching non-pinheads, and seeing which games they seem drawn too. It was interesting.

Talk to your insurance agent, see what is required for you to be insured, and they pay that, on top of whatever else you feel you want, if anything. I might request a certified bartender in the future, as this would (depending on the law of the land), cut out any host liability against you to anyone who is served while at your residence.

Possibly a hold harmless and indemnifying agreement by the company for any possible issues involving injury or death (slip/trip and falls etc.).

Oh our litigious world, it all used to be so easy...

#27 9 years ago

Do it!

Charge the exact price of what it would cost to buy your next machine (TRON pro or Met premium)

vvvvv vvvvv

#28 9 years ago

Nope. Don't do it. We were asked to do something like this for Halloween - basically a Halloween party. My wife and I didn't even think about it - immediate answer from both of us before even consulting with each other was "Nope."

Ain't worth it dude. You have no idea who is coming, who they know, what their intentions are, what their backgrounds are, and tons of potential for 5 finger discounts.

No way.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Nope. Don't do it. We were asked to do something like this for Halloween - basically a Halloween party. My wife and I didn't even think about it - immediate answer from both of us before even consulting with each other was "Nope."
    Ain't worth it dude. You have no idea who is coming, who they know, what their intentions are, what their backgrounds are, and tons of potential for 5 finger discounts.
    No way.

I hear this argument and it has been brought up by a few on here. I've had three pinball party/tournaments in the last year, and while I love all my pinball friends on here, I don't know any of you that well either. It worked out and I did make some good friends up to this point. If I think of it this way I'm afraid that all future pinball tournaments I might plan would be out unless we don't qualify them for IFPA points and keep 'em closed. My love of pinball, and wanting to share it, is strong.

Quoted from centerflank:

Charge the exact price of what it would cost to buy your next machine (TRON pro or Met premium)

Since I wouldn't be providing food or alchohol I don't think I could get that much but I like the way you think lol.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

Neat idea, but the liability is the big issue. My wife and my mother both had "team building" work things in my gameroom, basically no payment, but their company brings the food and drink, and I eat and get loaded for fwee! I didn't care about payment, as I like watching non-pinheads, and seeing which games they seem drawn too. It was interesting.

Talk to your insurance agent, see what is required for you to be insured, and they pay that, on top of whatever else you feel you want, if anything. I might request a certified bartender in the future, as this would (depending on the law of the land), cut out any host liability against you to anyone who is served while at your residence.

Possibly a hold harmless and indemnifying agreement by the company for any possible issues involving injury or death (slip/trip and falls etc.).

Probably my biggest concern right here and almost equal to the customer relationship I have being ruined. They love our business and both our businesses have a great symbiotic relationship with each other. It is so good that I don't think much could harm it at the moment but never say never is my approach.

Quoted from ryanwanger:

I would be tempted to do it, especially if you are around to hang out with them and play pinball during...sounds like you have a good relationship with the company.

Get paid $500 or $1000 to play pinball all night at your own house? Sign me up!

This is kinda what I'm thinking. Someone pays me to play my own machines for a night. How does life get better than that lol?

#30 9 years ago

Good client that pays their bill and you want to retain them for a long time? I would probably offer the place for free, but have them cover everything else. All the expense, liability, booze, taxi service, etc... If they decide to hire your family catering service, even better. Charge for that. A little bit of goodwill with a client goes a long way.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from donjagra:

Good client that pays their bill and you want to retain them for a long time? I would probably offer the place for free, but have them cover everything else. All the expense, liability, booze, taxi service, etc... If they decide to hire your family catering service, even better. Charge for that. A little bit of goodwill with a client goes a long way.

Been tempted to do this as well. They love to cover cost and probably wouldn't accept it for free. It's on my mind though.

#32 9 years ago

If you are around and someone can monitor spaces that are "out of bounds" then that is more acceptable. I would let them know of a fee to rent and then have them sign a waiver that if anything gets broken by one of the invitees that they are on the hook for it. Whether it be pinball related or something else. There is always that special someone that turns into a nutcase after a few too many drinks.

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

There is always that special someone that turns into a nutcase after a few too many drinks.

No, I didnt get an invite

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

If you are around and someone can monitor spaces that are "out of bounds" then that is more acceptable. I would let them know of a fee to rent and then have them sign a waiver that if anything gets broken by one of the invitees that they are on the hook for it. Whether it be pinball related or something else. There is always that special someone that turns into a nutcase after a few too many drinks.

Yup. The special someone could be that turning point that I mentioned never say never to above. I have a good relationship with them and will bring these concerns up with them as I move forward with, or deny, their request.

#35 9 years ago

I've just read through all these replies and not a single "Is she hot?". You guys are slipping....

#36 9 years ago

Is she hot?

#37 9 years ago

Way too many potential headaches. I wouldn't even consider it if I were you.

#38 9 years ago

Ask for a donation be made in your name or your company's name to your favorite pinball charity and use it as a tax write off. That way you shouldn't have to worry about any liability issues because everything should still be covered by your insurance since you won't be renting your space.

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I've just read through all these replies and not a single "Is she hot?". You guys are slipping....

You missed roc-noc's post.

LTG : )™

#40 9 years ago

FYI: If you forewarn your insurance company, they may send someone out to your house to inspect things---like handrails, etc.
    You obviously want to help this lady, or you wouldn't even be considering it...

#41 9 years ago

Of all the concerns about strange people in the home, ask Mr. Dayhuff.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/12th-annual-pinball-party-inviteplease-rsvp

#42 9 years ago

I have a place at the beach in ca. I rent it out fully furnished for 4000 a month. Anyone in the east want to escape the cold winter this year. Watch the sunset while sitting on the couch!

#43 9 years ago

Don't mix business

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from Philk:

Booze and people that are normally pinball people sounds pretty risky. I would only consider it if you'll have people there (including yourself) to keep an eye open. Couple egg nogs and Joe from accounting is suddenly picking your pin up and smashing it around to free a stuck ball.

The next thing you know, its falling on your dads leg!

#45 9 years ago

I was asked to do something similar for a birthday party 80s themed for about 50 people. I told them I would happily supply my 5 classic 80s arcade games and one 80s pinball machine for the event at no charge but they would have to provide the venue and help me transport the games. Little cost and risk to me but huge goodwill earned. Opening up your house is opening up a can of worms. Charging any money to host an event like this opens yourself up to all sorts of liability. Saying no outright could hurt your business relationship. Offering free services will secure a long term customer.

#46 9 years ago

Thanks for all the good advice. I'm taking it all to heart and thinking about it.

#47 9 years ago

If you would populate the Wishlist on your Pinside profile, this would be a MUCH easier question to answer.

#48 9 years ago

Partygoer steps in dog poop in neighbors lawn because he had to park way down the street. Doesn't notice it until he's been in your game room for 15 minutes. Game over.

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from smokey_789:

Partygoer steps in dog poop in neighbors lawn because he had to park way down the street. Doesn't notice it until he's been in your game room for 15 minutes. Game over.

LOL. Not an issue where I live thank goodness

#50 9 years ago

My sister in law lives in a rural area.

She asked me if she could host a garage sale in my driveway since I live in the burbs. She's family & no one would be able to enter the house.

I didn't tell her no, I told her F no.

You need to tell these people "they" are welcome any time but 20 strangers are just too much.

Even worse all 20 are Texans, ugh

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-would-you-rent-your-house-out-for and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.