(Topic ID: 255267)

How much would you pay to have your playfield replaced?

By Gotman

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Gotman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“How much would you pay to have playfield replaced?”

• I would pay $0 to have my playfield replaced! 26 votes
    46%
  • I would pay $1,000 to have my playfield replaced! 28 votes
    49%
  • I would pay $2,000 to have my playfield replaced! 3 votes
    5%

(Multiple choice - 57 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A819E671-A073-44CE-AB89-0F9EA3357CDD (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

A local Pittsburgh pinball dealer quoted me $2,000 to replace the playfield on my LOTR, and he really did not want to do it. What are people to do when Stern or JJP gives them a new playfield because the original was defective?

#2 4 years ago

$0
I would do it myself
I would do it for others for $1500

#3 4 years ago

LOTR is a bitch to shop. But honestly I’m thinking 1000-1300. That’s what I would do it for. Hoping it was dimpled and drilled.

#4 4 years ago

Update... Yes the playfield on LOTR was dimpled and drilled. The quote for $2k assumed it was not dimpled or drilled. Thanks.

#5 4 years ago

So what did they quote you after finding that information out? Thanks.

#6 4 years ago

Sell the machine with the new playfield and buy another with a decent playfield. I’m sure the difference will be less than 1500.
Good luck
Al

#7 4 years ago

I ended up changing the playfield myself. It took two weeks working a few hours each day or about 30 hours. It was my first attempt, and it took another two weeks to fix the fuse blowing problem. Turned out it was the staple holding the light under the flipper assembly. This light is fastened with a staple on the light’s wire lead. The positive wire staple was touching the light socket, so add another ten hours. It took 40 hours on first attempt. Plays perfect now!

#8 4 years ago

Not sure I understand the purpose of this thread? You state you were quoted a high price and they didn’t really want to do it yet you started 2 Other threads offering a Playfield swap paid service? For more as it seems. Just trying to figure out if this is another complaint thread or a solicitation.

#9 4 years ago

Greetings to The Mod Couple, I am just trying to come to terms with my situation which I volunteered for, and other who didn’t. In other words, I choose to do the playfield swap because of the economics of having another $2k invested in a pinball machine, which I will never get back. Now compare that with someone who did not volunteer for the job, but simply shelled out six to 12 grand, and has the task of swapping a playfield. This is my passion not my business.

#10 4 years ago

Do the prices in your poll reflect just the work to do the swap, or do they include the playfield too? Because playfields alone are around $1k USD.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Gotman:

I ended up changing the playfield myself. It took two weeks working a few hours each day or about 30 hours. It was my first attempt, and it took another two weeks to fix the fuse blowing problem. Turned out it was the staple holding the light under the flipper assembly. This light is fastened with a staple on the light’s wire lead. The positive wire staple was touching the light socket, so add another ten hours. It took 40 hours on first attempt. Plays perfect now!

If you bought a new machine and the play field was damaged, I would think Stern should also pay for the labor to replace it. If you buy a car with a defective motor, the car company doesn’t give you a new motor and leave you to install it. I know I’m dreaming given how the pin industry handles these things. But I’m also right.

#12 4 years ago

Agree, playfieldS are expensive, so this is a bring your own playfield (byop).

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

If you bought a new machine and the play field was damaged, I would think Stern should also pay for the labor to replace it. If you buy a car with a defective motor, the car company doesn’t give you a new motor and leave you to install it. I know I’m dreaming given how the pin industry handles these things. But I’m also right.

Stern hasn’t sold NIB LOTRs for a long, long time. I don’t think this one was going to be covered by warranty regardless of the circumstances.

#14 4 years ago

On modern Stern's you're always going to be better off selling your game and buying one with a better playfield. There isn't a market for this service.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Stern hasn’t sold NIB LOTRs for a long, long time. I don’t think this one was going to be covered by warranty regardless of the circumstances.

That’s why I’m confused, did you get stern to warranty a 13 year old playfield?!? Or did you
Buy a LOTR playfield made by someone else and wanted to swap it?

#16 4 years ago

The LOTR play field was new old stock. I purchased it on eBay for approx. $860.

#17 4 years ago

Depends on the game, the new playfield and other factors. Newer pins are eaiser bc of the way the gi and light boards are. So many factors but usually between 750-1500 just to do a basic swap.

#18 4 years ago

At 30 hours of time to do it yourself, 1k would be worth it to me. Thats $30 an hour plus aggravation. Unfortunately, I don’t have the time to mess with something like this. With my luck I’d probably make more work for myself when the machine doesn’t work correctly anyways. Time is too valuable at this point, maybe when I’m retired I would think differently.

#19 4 years ago

I called around and was quoted $1500 by most and a two to three month lead time. One guy said, "yeah I'll do it but it won't be cheap". When I asked how much he said, "$800".
Needless to say I asked, "when and where can I bring it to?" He up sold me on a few things for the cabinet and then I also tipped him an extra $50. Total bill was $1150.
This poor guy, he went through absolute hell dealing with the shitastic Mirco playfield only for us to eventually decide to pull the plug and I bought a NOS pf cleared by Kruzman. So all the prep work he did on the Mirco he graciously offered to eat.

#20 4 years ago

Over the years, I’ve had six Wade Krause playfields swapped out for me. Average cost, about $1200. At least, it was done correctly. Many thanks to Brady! PinballShark

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Now you have me in a tizzy!!! How do you know? Please tell?

#22 4 years ago

1,500 sounds like a fair price. Lot of work and time goes into changing those, taking everything appart in the right order and re-assembling everything correctly. It looks like something that can be done in 3 or 4 hours but it never seems to go that way for me. Once I start, I decide to tumble or polish stuff while Its in pieces. And if it has those stapled in lamp sockets, I need to limit how much time I work before I go insane.

#23 4 years ago

Completely matters on what PF/game.
LOTR has much more wiring and is a more complicated swap than a new Stern with Spike.
I would almost say a NEW game swap would be twice as easy as a Playfield swap/shop job on an older game.

#24 4 years ago

Agree spike systems are much more playfield replacement friendly.

#25 4 years ago

On “continued playfield issues” forum, I have read about populated playfield replacements. Wondering why I am also seeing games for sale that come with an unpopulated playfield. Which one is it, or is Stern settling the pooling issues differently?

#26 4 years ago

This is how you can label the different sub assemblies.... measure and mark off one inch increments, then label, long side dash short side. This method makes reassembly easier.

A819E671-A073-44CE-AB89-0F9EA3357CDD (resized).jpegA819E671-A073-44CE-AB89-0F9EA3357CDD (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 18.95
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 12.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-would-you-pay-to-have-your-playfield-replaced and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.