(Topic ID: 165990)

How much would you pay for a new, stenciled, cleared cabinet?

By cosmokramer

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

spicoli_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NoahFentz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 7 years ago

After building pinball cabinets for the last 6 years, I'd like to offer some insight on this ...

Sadly, earlier Bally cabinets are a lot more work, so when we list them on our site in the next week or two, they will be more than their WPC counterparts. I realize this is problematic, since the titles are generally of lower value, but the difference in labor is substantial and placing the blocks precisely requires a jig, making flatpacks difficult. Not to mention, EVERY cabinet is different, so the R&D alone kills the flatpack, as there just isn't much margin on them. Documentation for each and every title would be a huge undertaking, as well.

As far as joinery, the locking miter isn't anywhere near as good as it used to be. With today's composite core plywoods, you'd be lucky to route a clean joint on both sides, and, even if you did, the integrity just isn't there anymore. The standard rabbet is a much stronger joint with today's materials. It's true, they just don't make things like they used to. We use Cabinet-grade Maple B2-grade. Really nice material. We will do locking miter, on request, with an added fee.

Stenciling is very time consuming to do it right, and we've stenciled a number of cabinets now. With time and materials, $200/color appears to be going rate, stencils included.

So, to break it down ...

WPC/WPC 95 cabinets start at $500, and that includes backbox, backbox hinges, and new style leg brackets.
    $100 for base color, three coats.
    Cost of decals.
    $60 to install decals.

Earlier Bally cabinets start at $650, and that also includes backbox and leg brackets.
    $100 for base color, three coats.
    $200 per color for stenciling, includes stencils.

I do everything I can to make our prices reasonable and affordable.

We have just completed Cyclone, Flash Gordon, Xenon, and Medusa. We're moving to Fathom.

If anyone has any questions or suggestions on what to do after Fathom, let me know. We're always adding cabinets to our library.

http://virtuapin.net

Thank you.

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

The plans are available online if you look hard enough.

If they're the plans I'm thinking of, they aren't accurate, and they aren't WPC. More like a virtual version.

Quoted from mgpasman:

Now if only some company in Europe would offer similar services (else transportation would break my bank).

VirtuaPin.eu will be opening in the coming weeks!

Quoted from westofrome:

Curious why there is so much variation in early Bally cabs. I'd think they wouldn't vary too much from machine to machine, only thing I can think of is the location of the transformer (head or cab).

Every cab is subtly different, whether it's WPC > WPC or otherwise. Some changes are even made in mid-production, too. Whirlwind, for example, has two different plunger cutout locations, and White Water has varying playfield mount positions.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NoahFentz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-would-you-pay-for-a-new-stenciled-cleared-cabinet?tu=NoahFentz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.