(Topic ID: 165990)

How much would you pay for a new, stenciled, cleared cabinet?

By cosmokramer

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

spicoli_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

If you could order a brand new system 11 (or similar) cabinet and head that was primed, painted, stenciled and cleared shipped to your door what would you value it at?

Just wood cabinet, no rails, legs etc.

#2 7 years ago

$750? Not sure if that would even cover the cost of materials, though.

#3 7 years ago

I don't have much use for an empty pinball cabinet. I prefer my games to come with playfields, boards, wire etc...

So, I would pay nothing for the empty box you speak of.

#4 7 years ago

depends on the game and quality of workmanship

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

depends on the game and quality of workmanship

Yep, a new cab for a $1500 game isn't going to be as worthwhile as a $3000+ game.

#6 7 years ago

Yes, I can easily see how it would not be cost effectice since these games are usually not worth it....
    What about something like a new whitewater et. al.
    New cab with full decals applied?

#7 7 years ago

I was thinking like 500

#8 7 years ago

Doesn't one of the VPin guys make and sell new WPC-era (maybe DE/Sega, too?) cabinets? I remember looking into prices, and was considering it when I went and redid my TZ's cab..

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from wierdeer:

I was thinking like 500

Yep, what I would expect to see as a price tag and what I would actually pay are entirely different things.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yep, what I would expect to see as a price tag and what I would actually pay are entirely different things.

True.

#11 7 years ago

$200.00 delivered to 48084

#12 7 years ago

Maybe offer kits. Stencils included... Would save you a bunch of time. which could be reflected on price I would buy a cab kit for my space invaders in a heartbeat... Mine was terribly infested with termites so had to scrap the cab

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#13 7 years ago

I was looking over at CPR at some repro playfields and was thinking how great it would be to be able to order a cabinet as easy as ordering a playfield...seems as though it would be too expensive... too bad

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from wierdeer:

Maybe offer kits. Stencils included... Would save you a bunch of time. which could be reflected on price I would buy a cab kit for my space invaders in a heartbeat... Mine was terribly infested with termites so had to scrap the cab

Pre cut glue and staple panels.....Ikea pin cabs

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Honestly I think it could work out.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Wow... Now that's an idea... Surprised the PBR Can Crusher isn't going that route for added street cred with "the kids today" who are looking for an "authentic" experience!

#17 7 years ago

Flatpack is the way to go. I need at least a new head for my ES. Main cab is mostly ok and could probably be repaired but the left side of the head is destroyed.
    I would pay probably $50-100 over the cost of materials for flat pack since it would just be run on a CNC and take not much actual time for the person doing it.

#18 7 years ago

I know there are a couple of places here in Australia that offer new WPC, WPC95 cabinets, one does bare cabinets, the other does decaled onrds

Think prices start at $1000, so it is an option only for keeper games

#19 7 years ago

I've made several complete cabinets, but given the amount of work and mess I wouldn't considering doing them for someone else for any price.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

Flatpack is the way to go. I need at least a new head for my ES. Main cab is mostly ok and could probably be repaired but the left side of the head is destroyed.
    I would pay probably $50-100 over the cost of materials for flat pack since it would just be run on a CNC and take not much actual time for the person doing it.

So cost of wood and the time to run on cnc.. Couldn't be that expensive? Maybe a resource with cnc drawings so we can just take it to a cabinet shop to be cut

#21 7 years ago

A 3/4 in. 4'x8' piece of furniture grade maple runs around 50 bucks. Probably make a cab out of two pieces but better figure 3 just in case. That's 150 bucks. What are stencils or decals? $150-$200? So 350 dollars for the materials plus labor. Let's be generous and say a week to cut it up, sand it, and apply the decals or stencils. 40 hours. $750 is extreme low end. Most likely higher than $1000

#22 7 years ago

http://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=3
    I haven't used one, but they can apply deals for a small cost also...

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from BR80:

http://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=3
    I haven't used one, but they can apply deals for a small cost also...

http://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=19&zenid=cddc49bb2405d5ce5b29a8b2c524288b

You had the wrong page. That was virtual pin cabs. This link is WPC, widebody, and an assortment of other styles.

#24 7 years ago

Im not worried about the decals as that is what i do for a living but having a nice new cabinet ready to go would be friggin awesome!! Alas, in Canada we get hosed on everything. Thats even if we can get it shipped from the good ole USA!

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Im not worried about the decals as that is what i do for a living but having a nice new cabinet ready to go would be friggin awesome!! Alas, in Canada we get hosed on everything. Thats even if we can get it shipped from the good ole USA!

Maybe Canada should start getting pinball companies that supply parts etc. rather than rely on the "good ole USA"

#26 7 years ago

In a few weeks I am going to build a williams cab and head, I will document it in case anyone wants to try it. While I am building it I will lay out all the pieces to get an idea of shipping size and costs for a flatbox ship.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

In a few weeks I am going to build a williams cab and head, I will document it in case anyone wants to try it. While I am building it I will lay out all the pieces to get an idea of shipping size and costs for a flatbox ship.

I will be closely watching

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gnatty:

Maybe Canada should start getting pinball companies that supply parts etc. rather than rely on the "good ole USA"

Yeah, i agree but with only #0 million people here i just dont think it will work. Even though its stupid expensive to get anything from you guys i thank god every day that your down there

#29 7 years ago

sorry , meant 30 million

#30 7 years ago

Considering decals are $250 or so. I would say $750 would be a great price. Anything over $900 or so would be too much for me.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Do you have a CNC machine or will you be making everything by hand? I'm wanting to eventually build a 6803 Bally cab to replace the cab on my City Slicker. I'll probably do it by hand since I have the tools and no CNC machine.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

That will be a cool thread to watch. The only question I have is what kind of joints are you going to use? The ones used on the premade cabs and bb's are very cheap and weak dovetails. Good joints should interlock.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Yeah, i agree but with only #0 million people here

Quoted from SUPERBEE:

sorry , meant 30 million

0 million was funnier.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

0 million was funnier.

I agree ! lol We have Justin and you have donald so we both lose !!

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Do you have a CNC machine or will you be making everything by hand? I'm wanting to eventually build a 6803 Bally cab to replace the cab on my City Slicker. I'll probably do it by hand since I have the tools and no CNC machine.

No CNC yet (waiting for my son to get one someday so I can play with it) but my father lives nearby and has a shop with all the tools we need to get it done. he is 75 and always looking for something to do. We are going to build a few for myself and I have a friend nearby who wants one as well.
    spicoli_(resized).jpgspicoli_(resized).jpg

Quoted from MustangPaul:

That will be a cool thread to watch. The only question I have is what kind of joints are you going to use? The ones used on the premade cabs and bb's are very cheap and weak dovetails. Good joints should interlock.

We're going to build them just as they were, using a disassembled cab as templates. Making quality joints will probably just add extra problems and using the heavy duty leg braces you recommended for my Pinbot restoration seems to make the standard joints adequate. Now if I was going to build one for a game I cherish and plan to keep forever then I would spend the extra time and make quality joints but the cabinets I need now are just for games that will find new homes and standard cabs will be fine.

The hardest part will probably be coming up with a jig for drilling the leg bolt holes so they line up exactly with the corner joint on the outside and perfectly centered on the cleat on the inside so the leg plates line up. Our family business included us building custom wood garage doors and my dad was amazing at designing jigs to make everything quick and easy. I am looking forward to seeing what he comes up with to address this challenge.

#37 7 years ago

After building pinball cabinets for the last 6 years, I'd like to offer some insight on this ...

Sadly, earlier Bally cabinets are a lot more work, so when we list them on our site in the next week or two, they will be more than their WPC counterparts. I realize this is problematic, since the titles are generally of lower value, but the difference in labor is substantial and placing the blocks precisely requires a jig, making flatpacks difficult. Not to mention, EVERY cabinet is different, so the R&D alone kills the flatpack, as there just isn't much margin on them. Documentation for each and every title would be a huge undertaking, as well.

As far as joinery, the locking miter isn't anywhere near as good as it used to be. With today's composite core plywoods, you'd be lucky to route a clean joint on both sides, and, even if you did, the integrity just isn't there anymore. The standard rabbet is a much stronger joint with today's materials. It's true, they just don't make things like they used to. We use Cabinet-grade Maple B2-grade. Really nice material. We will do locking miter, on request, with an added fee.

Stenciling is very time consuming to do it right, and we've stenciled a number of cabinets now. With time and materials, $200/color appears to be going rate, stencils included.

So, to break it down ...

WPC/WPC 95 cabinets start at $500, and that includes backbox, backbox hinges, and new style leg brackets.
    $100 for base color, three coats.
    Cost of decals.
    $60 to install decals.

Earlier Bally cabinets start at $650, and that also includes backbox and leg brackets.
    $100 for base color, three coats.
    $200 per color for stenciling, includes stencils.

I do everything I can to make our prices reasonable and affordable.

We have just completed Cyclone, Flash Gordon, Xenon, and Medusa. We're moving to Fathom.

If anyone has any questions or suggestions on what to do after Fathom, let me know. We're always adding cabinets to our library.

http://virtuapin.net

Thank you.

#38 7 years ago

It sounds reasonable to me. I'm tempted to get a cabinet from you in the future.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from wierdeer:

So cost of wood and the time to run on cnc.. Couldn't be that expensive? Maybe a resource with cnc drawings so we can just take it to a cabinet shop to be cut

The plans are available online if you look hard enough.

#40 7 years ago

Now if only some company in Europe would offer similar services (else transportation would break my bank).

#41 7 years ago

Curious why there is so much variation in early Bally cabs. I'd think they wouldn't vary too much from machine to machine, only thing I can think of is the location of the transformer (head or cab).

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

If they're the plans I'm thinking of, they aren't accurate, and they aren't WPC. More like a virtual version.

Quoted from mgpasman:

Now if only some company in Europe would offer similar services (else transportation would break my bank).

VirtuaPin.eu will be opening in the coming weeks!

Quoted from westofrome:

Curious why there is so much variation in early Bally cabs. I'd think they wouldn't vary too much from machine to machine, only thing I can think of is the location of the transformer (head or cab).

Every cab is subtly different, whether it's WPC > WPC or otherwise. Some changes are even made in mid-production, too. Whirlwind, for example, has two different plunger cutout locations, and White Water has varying playfield mount positions.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Bally liked to change things up quite a bit in their earlier cabinets. Mainly it was to accommodate the different level playfields and the head to cab connections.
    Older Williams not to bad but still has changes.

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

I've been looking but can't find anything but vurtual cab plans I'm looking for SI specific cab plans... Maybe you can point me in the n the right direction?

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from wierdeer:

I've been looking but can't find anything but vurtual cab plans I'm looking for SI specific cab plans... Maybe you can point me in the n the right direction?

I no longer have them as I do not have a CNC. There are a few people on here that do. Perhaps they would like to chime in.

#46 7 years ago

I just bought a WW from a guy who stripped it and tossed the trashed cab. All I need is a new cab to start the restoration. Problem is I'm here in Panama. I have a DPO address but a flat pack is larger than my max size limit. I'd have to ship it freight and that's going to cost too much. I'd like to find the plans and have one made here. If anyone has a accurate set of plans I'd love to have them.

#47 7 years ago

Make me an accurate Pharaoh cab, Stenciled, with correct colors and a clear coat and lock miter joints. Blanket & Corrugated wrapped on a pallet with dummy cartons up to 65-70" high.

I'll pay $1200 FOB your shop.

Bob

#48 7 years ago

3 red jellybeans, a half eaten granola bar and an empty bottle of astroglide. FINAL OFFER.

#49 7 years ago

I used VirtuaPin.net for my whirlwind restore. Top quality product and I would purchase again in a heart beat on my next restore.

#50 7 years ago

stencil from pinball pimp + tax, delivery $200
    4quarts of high quality paint + thinners, tape, wrap $100
    3 sheets of hardwood ply +tax, delivery $300
    4 Williams leg brackets $ 60
    Misc items, glue, sandpaper, woodfiller, wear n tear, wastage $ 90
    _____
    $750 cost of materials only

Labour is 32-40 hours X $20.00/hr = $750

Total cost $1500 for a complete furniture grade pinball head and cabinet primed, stenciled and ready.

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-would-you-pay-for-a-new-stenciled-cleared-cabinet?hl=pmaino and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.