(Topic ID: 276754)

How much would you pay for a Demo man in the following condition...

By PachoHerrera

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by woody76
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hi Pinside folk,

Appreciate any input you can offer, looking at buying a demo man over the holiday weekend that needs some work. Cabinet has wear and some bad touch ups, playfield is actually really nice, no broken plastics or excessive wear, but needs to be shopped, buttons on handles need replacing, shooter lane wear, boards look ok, display is not working but it plays blind.

Seller wants $2K.

#2 3 years ago

I bought a fully working demolition man for $2500 that needed nothing. I would not pay $2000 with those issues.

It really depends on how much time and effort you want to put in to repair or replace the defective parts. If you have the knowledge and skill it would be a fun project.

#3 3 years ago

I would buy it. Oops, bought one last years for 2k nearly the same.
Board cost me $100 to get fixed. After that I went a little crazy shopping and moding.

#4 3 years ago

Not 2k. Too much work and not much payoff.

#5 3 years ago

In 2016 I paid $2200 to SeymorGoldfarbJr for a very nicely shopped Demo Man. You can do the math but I would agree that even with price increases that may be a little high. On the other hand, if this is one of your must have games, than go for it and be happy. I am in process now of working on a CV that I paid a fair buck for. Was pretty much working but I want to take it to the next level and was ok with spending the extra money. If you’re ok with it, that is all that matters! I wish you well with whatever you decide!

#6 3 years ago

Seems like a fair to good price. B/W DMD's are not getting any cheaper. It actually sounds like a pretty good deal, but it's hard to say without pics.

#7 3 years ago

If you plan on fixing it to flip for a profit, maybe not. If you are getting it to play for an extended period, go for it. Modes are fun; claw can be finickey, but if you fix all the connectors and clean the optos, it will be reliable.

#8 3 years ago

Thanks all, I am planning on fixing it up, playing it for awhile to see if I like it, and maybe selling it to a friend who is just getting into the hobby. Not really a profit motive on this one. I agree 2k is a bit steep, but prices are pretty bonkers these days for all things bally Williams dmd. Plan to negotiate a bit more

#9 3 years ago

Try to get a bit better deal.
You will sink at Least another $1k into it getting it going

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from PachoHerrera:

Hi Pinside folk,
Appreciate any input you can offer, looking at buying a demo man over the holiday weekend that needs some work. Cabinet has wear and some bad touch ups, playfield is actually really nice, no broken plastics or excessive wear, but needs to be shopped, buttons on handles need replacing, shooter lane wear, boards look ok, display is not working but it plays blind.
Seller wants $2K.

I would try to go as low as possible. Start your offer at 1500. There’s probably more there to do than you know. Also I doubt the plastic over the upper flipper isn’t broken. Haha

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Seems like a fair to good price. B/W DMD's are not getting any cheaper. It actually sounds like a pretty good deal, but it's hard to say without pics.

So 2500 for a working one. Or a project he will sink 100s into even if it all works for 2k is a good price. Bonkers.

#12 3 years ago

I appreciate the feedback from everyone. There is a diversity of opinion about this. Doing my best to get the price down with seller. I have not seen working/sorted out bally Williams dmd for under $3k that is a drivable distance from where I’m at (Tacoma, WA), if somebody could point me to a working demo man in good shape in this neck of the woods for $2,500 I’ll buy you several beers for your trouble

#13 3 years ago

Silence???

#14 3 years ago

To me the cabinet is not a big deal. If the playfield is nice that is a big plus. That nonworking dmd is very possibly a fried 10 cent component on the board, or maybe a ribbon cable/ connector issue. It also depends on your area. Where I am located, you can't just wait for a nicer one to come along. I wish I lived where all these 1500 players cond / minor project williams dmd's are flowing.

#15 3 years ago

Do you guys have a big supply of $1500 WPC games? Even System 11 titles seem to be going for more than that these days.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

Do you guys have a big supply of $1500 WPC games? Even System 11 titles seem to be going for more than that these days.

I'm curious too. Up here projects are few and far between, so you take what you can get. Mostly early solid state and some alpha numeric.

#17 3 years ago

I'd buy a working DM 2300-2500 depending on condition. If the dmd is out but otherwise plays 100%, $2000 would be an ok price (not deal territory though). Unfortunately it's very difficult to tell if it's playing properly since you can't run the diagnostic tests or see credit dots. Based on that, I'd personally pass at 2,000.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

So 2500 for a working one. Or a project he will sink 100s into even if it all works for 2k is a good price. Bonkers.

I don't know man, I'm a cheap mofo and I'd drop $2k on it pretty fast if I wanted one. Seems $2500 is on the cheap side for a decent one now.

#19 3 years ago

I would buy
Sub 2k WPCs are a rare breed

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I would buy
Sub 2k WPCs are a rare breed

They are and yet the OP found one.

#21 3 years ago

If the display was working I would pay 2k, depending on how bad the cabinet touch up looks. If your dmd is fried its $200. I would tell the seller this and offer 1800. If he says no he may be doing you a favor.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

system 11 projects are $500-$1000 all day long. This DM is a project, I would say $1500 by the discription.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

They are and yet the OP found one.

No, he found one for 2k...not less than 2k...
I was referring to the folks saying 1500

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

system 11 projects are $500-$1000 all day long. This DM is a project, I would say $1500 by the discription.

Im with woody76 on this. I would like to be at 1500 on it...less if possible.
It sounds like the type of game where you will find more issues when you start to go through it.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

No, he found one for 2k...not less than 2k...
I was referring to the folks saying 1500

Pretty sure the seller would take 1999.

#26 3 years ago

W/B wide bodies are getting renewed love from collectors based off of value/build compared to 6k and up available on today’s titles. You already said it. Harder to find sub 3k pins and it’s only gonna get harder to find em.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

W/B wide bodies are getting renewed love from collectors based off of value/build compared to 6k and up available on today’s titles. You already said it. Harder to find sub 3k pins and it’s only gonna get harder to find em.

I was just taking about this with a friend today. With stern pro's hitting $6k these $2-3k machines are going to be highly desired.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I was just taking about this with a friend today. With stern pro's hitting $6k these $2-3k machines are going to be highly desired.

LW3 finally getting the respect it deserves!! Haha

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

LW3 finally getting the respect it deserves!! Haha

LOL. yep

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 72.95
Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-would-you-pay-for-a-demo-man-in-the-following-condition?hl=freeplay3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.