Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Soapman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I'm a newbie getting frustrated by all the problems with my only machine. I know I have to learn to fix this myself but I'm having a hard time finding the time or motivation to do that. I'm thinking of getting it shopped out to try and get all the bugs worked out. Several errors but the main problem is the "D" drop target being stuck up. I just want to play pinball. I imagine getting it shopped out will be so expensive it's unlikely I'll do it. I'd probably be better off buying a second machine and using that to teach myself repairs while I play the other. I have no idea how you guys taught yourself all of this. Time seems to be my biggest enemy.

#2 7 years ago

Yeah, it can be frustrating, and Dredd is a particularly complicated game. Not that it's not well-built, but there are a lot of components on it, so there's a lot that can go wrong.

Just to clarify, will your D target not go down at all? Or is it just not dropping automatically in sniper and ultimate challenge modes?

#3 7 years ago

He has a thread with all the details already.
$600+, if you can find someone willing. Depends on what you and that person agree upon as Shopped.

#4 7 years ago

300 i just did one. But i work cheap.

#5 7 years ago

Oh, sorry, I read

Quoted from SealClubber:He has a thread with all the details already.
$600+, if you can find someone willing. Depends on what you and that person agree upon as Shopped.

Oh, sorry, I read the thread title as "How to shop a JD out", not "How MUCH to shop a JD out"

#6 7 years ago

I was thinking it would be in the $800 range, everything pinball seems crazy expensive in mich. I'm just going to have to suck it up and learn... The drop target use to be kind of cock eyed but still kind of worked. Now it's stuck up. The air raid mode hasn't worked in quite awhile,it would automatically fire from the left lane immediately. I've read this is probably caused by the drop targets. I always have credit dot errors for the trough although everything usually works ok with that. Sometimes I'll get a multiball that never ends and I'll have to turn the machine off. When this happens I get left flipper and upper left flipper EOS error. I also get toasty connectors in the backbox. They've been replaced twice but it's happened again already. My machine is never left on. A Pinsider told me I need to replace the pins on the board. I haven't looked into that yet but if it's a lot of precise soldering I'm not sure I can do that yet.... Sigh..

#7 7 years ago

Miknan,

If you're up for a roadtrip with your machine AkumaZeto does very good work. He just did my JD. He'll definately let you know (sometimes very directly ) what's good, bad, and ugly about your machine and what it might take to correct it.

Roger

#8 7 years ago

Thanks Roger. I'll keep that in mind. If he's in Wisc I have family there so it's not out of the question. Prob will get the courage and attempt all the repairs myself. Just afraid I'm going to mess it up. Right now I'm enjoying having a pin in my house that's still fun to play. But it really bugs me it isn't quite right.

#9 7 years ago

Oh, I just realized he's the Pinsider who replied above. Hmmm..... How long does it take to shop a machine? I know it can vary. I think my machine is in pretty good shape despite the problems.

#10 7 years ago

Good for you for wanting to do it yourself! A few suggestions - try to tackle one repair at a time, so if something goes wrong, you know what happened to cause it.

Regarding the replaced connectors - you really need to do both at the same time from everything I hear. I have, however, had some luck cleaning up slightly charred existing connectors with dental tools and/or a small file. You have to be careful not to flex the PCB while doing this. This will only help if the solder joints on the PCB are still good. If you decide to go this route, make sure you clean off the connectors as well as possible to allow the maximum area of good contact. This is really more a temporary fix than a long-term one, but better than nothing.

Also, your mention earlier of having another pin so you've got one to play while you work on the other is generally a good idea. I've got 3, and there were moments where 2 of the 3 three were down. It was really nice to have a 3rd to play a bit, and unwind, when I was tired of troubleshooting the other two.

#11 7 years ago

Try to find a pinhead in your area that will come over for a few repair mentoring sessions in exchange for beer/food/a few games on your JD

#12 7 years ago

Currently working on my jd. I had numerous faults one after the other finally got there after 6 months now I'm in the middle of cleaning ramps plastics and the playfield
And I may scan some of my cracked and faded plastics and the ramps stickers and use photoshop to bring then back to life.
It depends on what needs refurbishing and how difficult it is to do it so my estimate is $800
Thing you need definitely is new rubbers, full led kit ect.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Try to find a pinhead in your area that will come over for a few repair mentoring sessions in exchange for beer/food/a few games on your JD

This. There are some great people in this community, who are some of the most genuinely helpful and knowledgeable people I've encountered in any of my hobbies.

#14 7 years ago

If I can help with photos or anything just let me know. Just shopped mine and she is "on the chip"
Take your time and enjoy this part of the hobby.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-shop-job

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside