(Topic ID: 54987)

How much to get new decals professionally installed?

By NorCalRealtor

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by NorCalRealtor
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMAG2003.jpg
    IMAG1994.jpg
    IMAG1991.jpg
    IMAG1989.jpg

#1 6 years ago

I'm considering an A title with a lock down bar and messed up decals. New decals are available in the $250-$300k range. I'm not sure if I have the precision, technique, and patience to install them myself. I may be up for the prep work if it's not too much of a pain (removing the old decals and filling the holes from the lock down bar).

What's the going rate for a pro to remove old decals, do minor cabinet prep, and install new decals?

How about for installing new decals only?

How much of a pain is it to remove old decals?

Any advice is much appreciated!

#2 6 years ago

You are a Realtor- 300k for decals

#3 6 years ago

LOL. Oops. Force of habit. Ignore the "k".

#4 6 years ago

the quote i received was $1200-$1500 (this was local for me so there was minimal shipping)

#5 6 years ago

That's more than I expected. Did that include the prep and the new decals?

#6 6 years ago

I get asked this now and then and I tell everyone the same thing. I won't do the decals unless I restore the entire cabinet, inside and out. Most everything inside the cabinets has to come out in order to do this and it doesn't cost much more to clean it all before putting it back in.

$1250 if you pull the playfield or $1500 if I have to pull it and put it back in. When you get it back, it'll look brand new.

There're guys around that'll do just decals for $500 or so, but why not do it right if you're taking it that far.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingPinGames:

the quote i received was $1200-$1500 (this was local for me so there was minimal shipping)

Call me crazy but that seems excessively high, I'd rather try it myself 4 times to get it right @ $300 per decal set for that price

I was thinking more in the 200-500 range for install + your decal cost

#8 6 years ago

Oh sure, you can get it done for that, Justin and you'll get what you paid for. I have a guy who paid $300 for a complete playfield swap and he now wants me to do it again because he got what he paid for.

Quoted from fattrain:

Call me crazy but that seems excessively high, I'd rather try it myself 4 times to get it right @ $300 per decal set for that price

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

Had a set of decals done here locally by a guy and it was $350 plus the cost of decals, which I provided to him. He stripped, sanded etc all the cabinet and put on new decals. Looked great. I got the vacuum out and sand paper out and made the inside of the cab look really nice, clean and smooth.

#10 6 years ago

I'll do it for a grand if you send me the empty cabinets. That means you pull everything and put it all back in.

#11 6 years ago

I just finished my first decal job and I can tell you that I wouldn't even consider doing one for someone else for under $1000. The amount of time and effort required is nuts. If you have a full professional sander and paint shop, then you could probably get through it easier, but if you are doing this in your garage with spray paint and a hand sander, it will be a very long and painful experience if done right.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

I recommend everyone out there to attempt this just once and then you'll see that Bryan's price is a bargain.
    The cabinet has to be completely sanded/stripped and then repaired with bondo and fillers to make it all nice and square and get rid of any scratches or gouges.
    Then more sanding and priming and sanding and painting... all this before the decals can be carefully applied and trimmed. New rails applied, and that's just the outside.
    With a full interior cleanup, I wouldn't do it for less than $1200. No way. It's a lot of work to do right. I've seen a lot of hack jobs. It's just not worth cutting corners and throwing away $300 in new decals.

#14 6 years ago

I've only done one set of decals, and I won't do it for someone else, but....

The issue I would have with you doing the prep work and me doing the decals is that a lot of the final quality comes from a properly prepared surface. If you don't do it well, and I put the decals over it, you'll say that I did an ass job.

The decals literally take an evening to install once the prep work is done, they are pretty damn easy.

#15 6 years ago

I'll do it for a grand if you send me the empty cabinets. That means you pull everything and put it all back in.

Damn it....... I might have paid $1000 bucks but I'm too far into it now. I keep finding spots that aren't quite right. Holes that I missed filling in.... Edges that aren't perfect so when I slide the razor blade they might get hung up.... Tacky paint b/c its impossible to paint in this Minnesota humidity in the garage.... I'm now stuck waiting for paint to dry so I can apply some Varathane before the decals go on. I moved the cabinet head into the house thinking it would help dry but it's still tacky after a week. It is a very long time consuming process without the right workshop and tools. I started when I got me new silkscreen done and not even close to being ready to apply the decals yet. The last picture is what I go stare at when I can't stand looking at my Funhouse cabinet anymore.

IMAG1989.jpg IMAG1991.jpg IMAG1994.jpg IMAG2003.jpg

#16 6 years ago

Again, it all depends on what you want. Do you just want new artwork installed to make the outside look pretty? Do you want the inside to look as nice. Do you want the back redone with new screened warning test? Do you want the back of the cabinet redone? Do you want the underside of the cabinet to look like new?

The $300 playfield swap got just that. Everything swapped to a new playfield. That's actually a bargain. It just so happens the guy now wishes everything had been cleaned and rebuilt to make it look new.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Bryan: guessing other shipping options open up with an empty cabinet--who do you use for this, FedEx Freight?

And what's a typical amount to ship an empty cabinet (vs. the typical NAVL charge of $350 door-to-door for an assembled game)?

#18 6 years ago

I agree with u Bryan, I will admit that I've never done a set of decals and honestly I thought he was just referring to doing the outside of the pin but i guess i have been "learned upon" a bit, hehe. If you're gonna do a full cab restore sanding, ripping out and re-doing wirebraid etc I can imagine that would be a huge pain in the ass. I think it all boils down to, everyones time is worth different amounts along with different quality's of work (hence the large price differences).

#19 6 years ago

No idea on the shipping, although I've had populated playfields sent FedEx. I forget the amount.

All the cabs I've done have been local or close enough they can be delivered.

Quoted from NM:

Bryan: guessing other shipping options open up with an empty cabinet--who do you use for this, FedEx Freight?
    And what's a typical amount to ship an empty cabinet (vs. the typical NAVL charge of $350 door-to-door for an assembled game)?

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

A grand from someone like Bryan who does top notch work is a bargain. I bet I put in 30-40+ hours into the cabinet restore I just completed for my EATPM. There is a fair amount of work that goes into this - not as easy as a quick sanding and then slapping on some decals...

#21 6 years ago

I don't think 1000-$1500 is out of the question for a decal job done right. It is a tremendous amount of work prepping the cab properly. Very few restorers pay enough attention to get all the details right with filling in the imperfections of the cabinet, sealing it, sanding it multiple times, etc... I have done many cabinet jobs and it takes a ton of time to do them...Good luck!

#22 6 years ago

This is cabinet deal job cost around 1500.00 . You can't get this type of work done just anywhere . That included, tear down and complete rebuild of the cabinet ,new chocks,ground braid ,shop out decals and screen printing warning text. You can get it done for cheaper but you get what you pay for !

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104320292970617159030/albums/5876951993157493969?authkey=CPSpp5noisemAQ

#23 6 years ago

Honestly, even at 1250 to start it sounds like a deal.

As the OP is in the Bay Area, it may be even higher to get it done. I would expect to start at around 1500 for someone to do it.

#24 6 years ago

Now you're just showin off, Jimmy..

Nice to see I'm not charging too much.

Quoted from McCune:

This is cabinet deal job cost around 1500.00 . You can't get this type of work done just anywhere . That included, tear down and complete rebuild of the cabinet ,new chocks,ground braid ,shop out decals and screen printing warning text. You can get it done for cheaper but you get what you pay for !
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104320292970617159030/albums/5876951993157493969?authkey=CPSpp5noisemAQ

#25 6 years ago

Thanks for all the input, guys!

The game I'm considering is a routed MM, so it would definitely need to be done right. I see now what would happen if I buy the game. It just wouldn't look right to do a full cabinet restoration and not also do the rest (playfield, mechanicals, etc). I'd be neck deep in a full-blown $5-$6k job. That plus the purchase price is just too expensive for me. I could swing it if I was content to leave it in it's current condition and just play it, but I think an MM deserves the full treatment.

Out of curiosity, how many of you would buy a "routed" or "player's condition" MM and simply play it, and not feel inclined to restore it?

#26 6 years ago

Just get the game if you want it. You may not get another chance at one. Maybe restore it down the road?

#27 6 years ago

I am still praying one of the high end restorers will offer up some in depth videos or pictures of the full process. What tools they like to use, what products, and the like. I know its a ton of work, but t would be welcomed by so many. I want to do a full restore myself and see if I have what it takes, but I am also a perfectionist so I have to do it right or not do it at all. I would pay money to get my hands on this info say via a video or something of the sort.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Out of curiosity, how many of you would buy a "routed" or "player's condition" MM and simply play it, and not feel inclined to restore it?

I would have no problem leaving it as is

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Squeakman:

I am still praying one of the high end restorers will offer up some in depth videos or pictures of the full process. What tools they like to use, what products, and the like. I know its a ton of work, but t would be welcomed by so many. I want to do a full restore myself and see if I have what it takes, but I am also a perfectionist so I have to do it right or not do it at all. I would pay money to get my hands on this info say via a video or something of the sort.

I bet a few of them would be happy to let you come visit their shops. Often times the best guys in any field are happy to share their techniques.

#30 6 years ago

OP: Look into a replacement cabinet instead. The incremental cost can't be much more than Kelly's quoting.

For a popular A-list title, I'd bet that Doug Huse sells them.

#31 6 years ago

If the money was right, I wouldn't care. MM will never be a B list title. Hell, it'll never NOT be an upper-echelon A title! As long as there's room to do the full restore and not be overly upside down, I wouldn't hesitate getting it. Besides, you can enjoy the heck out of it while you save up money for the the restore. Then just give the whole thing, plus whatever parts you buy along the way(playfield, ramps, plastics, etc.), to the high end restorer of your choice and wait for the awesome to be returned to you. McCune's not too far away from us here in California, plus he might even meet you in Vegas for the drop off(Gives you a great excuse to hit Vegas for a day or even a weekend!).

Often times the best guys in any field are happy to share their techniques.

Um, they wouldn't share them with us necessarily, but with each other for sure!

Quoted from Squeakman:

I am still praying one of the high end restorers will offer up some in depth videos or pictures of the full process. What tools they like to use, what products, and the like.

One word: Festool.

Trust me. I have a friend who, when he converted his garage into his woodshop, went all out and got pretty much everything Festool. He went from nothing to Festool, not even stopping along the way at Ryobi or Craftsman Professional. Expensive stuff but man, seriously nice, seriously high quality schtuff!

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from mrbillishere:

Look into a replacement cabinet instead

True, the price is very close for a empty cabinet . For the same money he could have it all assembled and the shop out decals,new cabs don't come with shop out decals. So the price is the close but one price includes a fully working game .

#33 6 years ago

Restore restore restore always restore if it can be done. Lets not turn it into the car scene where people throw away shit and then all we have left is year one f bodies.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Restore restore restore always restore if it can be done. Lets not turn it into the car scene where people throw away shit and then all we have left is year one f bodies.

I tell you what Ben, new cabs can be nice,but can cost a bit more money.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

I tell you what Ben, new cabs can be nice,but can cost a bit more money. My decals are installed nicer !

Well i can understand if someone had some piece of trash that was water logged and just couldn't be saved. But alot of people think NEW is better when often it is not. I would rather have a cab done by yourself or Kelly before I got a new one.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Well i can understand if someone had some piece of trash that was water logged and just couldn't be saved.

Sometimes you have no choice but to get a new one .

I see a ton of good cabs out there, I save what I can and have not had to replace on yet. I wish I could get my hands on some of the left overs .

#37 6 years ago

I charge $1200 plus parts for a full cabinet restore, $1500 if I need to deal with the playfield.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Well i can understand if someone had some piece of trash that was water logged and just couldn't be saved. But alot of people think NEW is better when often it is not. I would rather have a cab done by yourself or Kelly before I got a new one.

Oh you car guys.

#39 6 years ago

Thanks for all the input, guys!
    The game I'm considering is a routed MM, so it would definitely need to be done right. I see now what would happen if I buy the game. It just wouldn't look right to do a full cabinet restoration and not also do the rest (playfield, mechanicals, etc). I'd be neck deep in a full-blown $5-$6k job. That plus the purchase price is just too expensive for me. I could swing it if I was content to leave it in it's current condition and just play it, but I think an MM deserves the full treatment.

I have a MM that is a nice routed example. MM is probably my favorite pin. I have a super nice restored AFM done by McCune, and he's currently working on my MB as well. It's going to be difficult having those high end restorations next to my unrestored MM, but the MM is in nice enough shape overall that I don't feel an urgent need to get it restored by any means. Everything works, it does not have any major wear, and the cabinet only has a few scuffs and some missing paint by the flipper buttons. I still play MM a lot, never get tired of it. Still fun as hell, and it isn't going to be any more fun after being restored.

If you decide after several months that MM is one of your favorite pins, you may decide that it is very much worth having it fully restored. I'm probably going to buy a Mirco PF just to have it on hand so I can use it down the road if I have MM restored. If not, I am confident in being able to sell it without losing much, if any, money on it.

Quoted from Squeakman:

I am still praying one of the high end restorers will offer up some in depth videos or pictures of the full process.

There is zero process shown in this video, but it does show off the aftermath!

#40 6 years ago

For all the needed work, lately I've just been using brand new cabs with MDF faced plywood.

Because they are already primed, and have no knots, holes, checking or boatmen to sand and fill, a new cab is the way to go.

A cab with decals (unless it is a cab that came from the factory with decals) is not original anyway, so better to get a perfectly smooth, no stink, no mildew, brand new cab.

#41 6 years ago

The cost Bryan is offering is a deal. I just did my EBD cabinet. The amount of hours and effort that goes into it is mind numbing. It turned out very nice. But, after 60 hours on the cabinet to get it that way Id think hard and long to pay for it to be done. Now i was super picky and i was new at it. If you do the math, i was working for pennies for myself. That being said it was a great learning experience.

Mike

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

For all the needed work, lately I've just been using brand new cabs with MDF faced plywood.
    Because they are already primed, and have no knots, holes, checking or boatmen to sand and fill, a new cab is the way to go.
    A cab with decals (unless it is a cab that came from the factory with decals) is not original anyway, so better to get a perfectly smooth, no stink, no mildew, brand new cab.

Hmmm. What is the best source for these?

#43 6 years ago

heres a guy who will make you a whole new cab and install your decals for 1300.00
    doug Huse. http://www.letsplaypinball.com/cabinets.html. check out this link .

#44 6 years ago

Hmmm. What is the best source for these?

I get them from a local CNC joint that is a client of mine, but here are brand new cabs for $250 that ship flat:

http://www.xtremepinball.com/

#45 6 years ago

For your time and lungs (from the lead paint dust), it's got to be worth $250 for a new, pre primed cab.

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

so better to get a perfectly smooth, no stink, no mildew, brand new cab.

My cabs don't stink !

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

For your time and lungs (from the lead paint dust), it's got to be worth $250 for a new

There is something to say for that !

#48 6 years ago

Would replacing decals on a new Stern be the same price? I have a full extra set of TFLE decals, because the ones on the game got wrinkled around the legs. I personally don't care but have the decals for any future owner that might.

#49 6 years ago

Decal prep is all labor and lots of it. There is no short cuts for sanding, filling , painting , repeat.
    If the cab is in decent condition and does not look like a mountain lion was playing with it play it.
    If its really beat then consider a restoration or a partial.

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from tonycip:

heres a guy who will make you a whole new cab and install your decals for 1300.00
    doug Huse. http://www.letsplaypinball.com/cabinets.html. check out this link .
    » YouTube video

Wow! That definitely looks like the way to go. Thanks for the tip!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 28.00
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 11.95
    £ 29.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 35.00
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 140.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 27.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 234.99
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 42.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 19.95
    Apparel - Women
    Pinball Wheezer

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside