5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by stashyboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I have been approached by someone to do a Gottlieb EM restoration for them.

I’ve done several for myself over the last few years, and have sold a few of them. I’ve never had another person approach me to do a restoration. I have no idea what to charge. The game will probably need a full cabinet repaint, some carpentry work done on the head, thorough playfield cleaning, metal parts tumbled, new drop targets installed, the usual things like new bulbs new rubbers, probably new cabinet hardware (coin door, etc.), new legs, and yet to be determined mechical work.

If you do this kind of work, I’m wondering what you’d charge on top of expenses for a job like that? I’d love to bring the game back to life because it’s a beautiful game once restored, but I also need to make it worth my while and it’s going to be a ton of work if I take it on.

#2 5 years ago

1200, if stencils are available and I probably would still say no.

#3 5 years ago

Triple Parts price, plus 100 bucks.

#4 5 years ago

Not worth it

#5 5 years ago

However much it takes to buy your next pin.

#6 5 years ago

At least $1250 plus parts and material.

#7 5 years ago

What's your time worth?

$3k-$6k plus materials for a high-end restore like that. That might get you a little above minimum wage for a few hundred hours of work.

Yeah, it might sound like a large amount, but if you actually run the numbers, it's really not all that much for the time you would be putting in.

Personally, I don't go much beyond a solid shop job for someone else. A few days worth of work in total, and the game is up and running, has fresh parts, and is nice and clean.

#8 5 years ago

Professional restorations are usually billed by the hour. For pinball restoration it's around $80-$100 an hour plus parts...

#9 5 years ago

I have done several restorations for people, no EMs but i can tell you at $1200-$1300 plus parts on a SS will put you at about $4 an hour if you’re lucky. This is no clear coating or touch up, no major cabinet work. Just pulling everything to the last screw, washing all harnesses, cleaning boards, cabinets, board work, addressing any issues, polishing everything, cleaned waxed and new rubbers. I’ve done it for the love of it, saving a machine and helping someone else out.

#10 5 years ago

I've done dozens of machines for other people. Usually try to Bill my time at 15 to $20 an hour. Most of my Restorations end up being around 100 hours. If you're strict about your billing time, and efficient with proper techniques you can do a good job in that amount of time. Parts usually run me to to $300 depending.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-to-do-a-restoration?hl=ryanbrooks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.