Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ShinyBall
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

#1 4 years ago

I'm curious how much of your typical day/week is consumed by pinball - whether it be reading stuff on Pinside, working on games, or just playing pinball. I don't have many hobbies and am trying to grow my career but find myself pretty consumed by pinball. I spend a lot of time on Pinside reading posts and a lot of time at night playing when I should probably do more productive things. Are any of you able to keep your pin addiction in check and actually focus on other things? Has anything in your life taken a hit?

#2 4 years ago

For me, between playing and spending time on Pinside, I estimate I average an hour a day on pinball.

#3 4 years ago

Not enough to get them all fixed lol

#4 4 years ago

too

#5 4 years ago

I'd say on an average day I probably spend a couple of hours either reading stuff on pinside, playing, or searching for the next game (even though I really don't need another one). It's my only hobby so spending a bit of time on it each day doesn't really affect anything else in my life that should get my time. Like all things in life - balance is the key. Hmm, maybe I missed my calling as a philosopher - nah

#6 4 years ago

Prob 2 hours a day. To me, it's not a prob if other stuff doesnt get done

#7 4 years ago

It comes in spurts for me. Sometimes I'll play for a couple of hours one night, sometimes none. I play in about 1/2 of our local leagues and tournaments.

Probably about 10 hours per week on average.

#8 4 years ago

About an hour a day. More in winter.
Steve

#9 4 years ago

Most of my free time between playing, reading, fixing, and watching twitch/youtube, so maybe 4-6 hours a day. Still finding time to exercise/lift and do housework, so it's all good. I just need to make more time for movies again. So many big ones the last few years (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Irishman, The Lighthouse, Parasite, Joker, Knives Out, etc.) I've never gotten around to.

#10 4 years ago

if I add checking out the classifieds,[ looking for that next bargain machine] at least 2 hours

#11 4 years ago

Playfield swaps, fixing games, looking at schematics, Pinside, r.g.p, playing, leagues, etc., about 26 hours a day.

But seriously. Too much.

#12 4 years ago

If it weren't for Pinside that I read at work, less than an hour a day. Kinda fallen out of love with it for the moment.

#13 4 years ago

Spent late in the day yesterday tearing down Judge Dredd, then finished the day playing other machines that are up and running.

So as many hours as I have nothing else to do, which is a lot.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

If it weren't for Pinside that I read at work, less than an hour a day. Kinda fallen out of love with it for the moment.

May I ask why? I think with any hobby it kinda comes and goes. I was always like this with music and video games. Sometimes I'm all about them, sometimes I don't care. But it's always come back.

#15 4 years ago

In the past few months, hardly spent any time with my pins. Thinking that I only played 5 of them for less than 20 minutes.

#16 4 years ago

I play around 2-4 days a week at a location, for around 3 hours minimum each day. So the low is 6 hours, the high is 12 hours

#17 4 years ago

Used to play at a couple locations almost every week. Games at home rarely need work and probably only turn them on a few times a month.. If I had to put an average hour amount on it 8-12 hours a month which is dwindling.

Work has me close to 65hours each week now. All work and no play is making tommy a dull boy.

#18 4 years ago

Pinball is my current "special interest" (obsession) after a lifelong obsession with video games coming to an end. My problem is that with this obsession it literally dominates all my thoughts, I spend every free minute playing or reading about pinball. It's just immensely satisfying to deep dive into a subject, especially one as rich as pinball. The problem is this comes as a detriment to trying to advance my career. My special interest is much more interesting and important to me even though I know it shouldn't be this way. I wish I worked in the pinball industry but that seems almost impossible.

#20 4 years ago

if I have a new project come in I will spend 20+ hours in a weekend on getting it going and shopped out.

Average 10 hours probably

#21 4 years ago

12 to 14 hours a day dedicated to various pinball adventures.

LTG : )

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from cyberslunk:

Pinball is my current "special interest" (obsession) after a lifelong obsession with video games coming to an end. My problem is that with this obsession it literally dominates all my thoughts, I spend every free minute playing or reading about pinball. It's just immensely satisfying to deep dive into a subject, especially one as rich as pinball. The problem is this comes as a detriment to trying to advance my career. My special interest is much more interesting and important to me even though I know it shouldn't be this way. I wish I worked in the pinball industry but that seems almost impossible.

your not alone, I'm the same, I'm constantly fighting with myself, trying to tell myself I don't need another machine, then checking the classifieds to see if there is a new listing & when I buy lunch or dinner I say "hey I could use that money for a new pinball machine"

#23 4 years ago

If my boss asks, hardly any
if my wife asks, too much
but since YOU asked, not enough!

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

If my boss asks, hardly any
if my wife asks, too much
but since YOU asked, not enough!

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Andy1:

your not alone, I'm the same, I'm constantly fighting with myself, trying to tell myself I don't need another machine, then checking the classifieds to see if there is a new listing & when I buy lunch or dinner I say "hey I could use that money for a new pinball machine"

Haha, I wish I had that problem - I'm too broke to even afford a machine

#26 4 years ago

Maybe an hour or two each week.

8 months later
#27 3 years ago

Necrobumping this.

Nowadays I try to spend atleast every sunday playing for atleast 6 - 8 hours, at our private location. Before Covid-19 hit I normally played one or two tournaments each month too. And besides that, I listen to pinball podcasts while travelling to/from work daily mostly while reading / posting on Pinside. I spend alot of time on Pinside. Dont use any other social media though, except for I have a Instagram account where I post pinball & dog pictures.

I wish I could spend even more time on pinball.

#28 3 years ago

10 minutes in the morning before the kids get up, 20 minutes in the evening after they go to bed, and about an hour every other week of location play when I can get it. Moms Organic Market College Park MD and Crabtown USA are the bomb!

#29 3 years ago

Repairing/restoring - 90%

Playing - 10% because it typically leads to finding something that needs fixing.

#30 3 years ago

Good question. More than I should, less than I want.

1 month later
#31 3 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Good question. More than I should, less than I want.

Yep couldn't have said it better myself

#32 3 years ago

Honestly since retirement I have no concept of time.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from Slugmeister:

Honestly since retirement I have no concept of time.

That was an honest assessment of retirement.
This is why I sit for hours sifting a beater EM and find it enjoyable.
Arrive to see the Grandbabies at 6 in the morning or 6 at night.
When I have an EM to restore I spend a lot of time on pinball, research, ordering parts, and labor to repair.
People ask me "Why do you spend so much damn time trying to bring these things back?"
They are a good excuse when Folks ask you "What have you been doing since you retired?"
I enjoy impossible projects, but pinball takes a lot of time to get right.
You want it flawless, a great experience, the machine to play like it should.

#34 3 years ago

I have too many other things that I enjoy in spring summer fall. Pinball is my winter when I get bored stuck at home and if I think about it..really hardly ever. Occasional player, but I still enjoy having them. They are part of my life long obsession with Halloween and all things related. Theme pulls me in. I have been able to downsize but not get out. Retired for 10 years...more busy now then when I was working.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-time-do-you-spend-on-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.