(Topic ID: 118144)

How much physical space between games in your game room?

By Rickwh

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by SealClubber
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I know the answer is tempting to be "cram them in there as tight as possible with backboxes touching". But realistically how much space do you tend to put between your games. I mean you need to work on them, etc. im a big guy so i had some extra space in there... But now ive got 3 machines in a room where 2 are comfy, and 3 will be tight. Just trying to figure out a balpark spacing. In prep for getting the 3rd machine moved in, i put them about an inch apart and man that just seems too close. And reaching the playfield for wiping down etc will be impossible.

Any suggestions?

#2 4 years ago

~2" between the heads

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

~2" between the heads

Same here - just enough space to slide them out without banging heads and it leaves just enough for me to squeeze between them to access the upper PF and backbox.

#4 4 years ago

I have 4in in diameter sliders under my feet and my sliders are touching. Perfect.

#5 4 years ago

I have pingulps on both sides of each game, so I keep 12" between each head to give myself some room to get between pingulps to work on the games. It looks nice spaced apart, you hear more of the sound from the game you're playing, and you don't feel like you're holding hands with the person next to you.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from mmuglia:

I have pingulps on both sides of each game, so I keep 12" between each head to give myself some room to get between pingulps to work on the games. It looks nice spaced apart, you hear more of the sound from the game you're playing, and you don't feel like you're holding hands with the person next to you.

I've got the folding type.

#7 4 years ago

I showed some pics to people at work today of my met and tfle with about 1 inch between them at the backbox. The reaction was woah... You have to really like the guy standing next to you... And is there even room to reach the flippers etc... Also played a few games and it was too close for me as well... Before i got the third machine I had about 14 or 15 inches between the machines at the flipper buttons. I May have to get creative and move some furniture around. Room has many purposes... Pinball is primary, then one wall with three guitars hanging and two amps... Other wall has a treadmill and tv and filing cabinet.... i need less hobbies ... Hehe

#8 4 years ago

Oh, those of you spoiled with the luxury of space. 1" between backboxes. Good thing my friends are very close.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I've got the folding type.

I step over them

#10 4 years ago

I have pingulps on the right side of each machine and about 1" between backboxes. This makes it so someone can't squeeze in between the machines and scratch up the cabinets.

#11 4 years ago

Just enough so they aren't touching. I got them packed in real tight.

#12 4 years ago

Enough room for me to comfortably stand between each one and work on them if I have to. I cannot stand having to shuffle machines to the left or to the right just to work on one. That drives me absolutely nuts.

#13 4 years ago

0-1", otherwise I'd have less machines or I'd be covering doors and windows. When I start covering doors or windows, or impeding walkways...I've jumped the shark and gone crazy. Moving pins around to work on them is the better alternative I think.

#14 4 years ago

I'm running at about 2-3 inches between backboxes.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Enough room for me to comfortably stand between each one and work on them if I have to. I cannot stand having to shuffle machines to the left or to the right just to work on one. That drives me absolutely nuts.

You know what's worse? FEWER GAMES!!!!!

Also, it's very rare that I work on a game. Once they're up and running, cleaning them can be done from the front of the machine most of the time.

#17 4 years ago

My general rule is, pack as many in as you can. 3 is always better than 2

#18 4 years ago

I don't have a bank of pins in the main room because of the way the room is laid out, and people tend to play more in there because they've got room to breathe and someone can stand beside the pin and watch someone else playing. In my second pin room I've got 3 lined up on one wall, and there is about 2" between the heads. It is fine with 1-2 people playing, but can get really crowded with more people, and is a pain when trying to work on the playfields.

I'm normally all for cramming in as many as possible, but just make sure you are comfortable with the space between to be able to get to the backbox or access the back of the playfield if need be. And sliders are your friend. All mine are on hardwood with sliders so I can move them around if need be.

#19 4 years ago

I have four machines sitting side by side. I pretty much agree with the above NPO. I like 13 to 14 inches between machines. You're paying for that art work on the sides.

#20 4 years ago

Mine are 1" or less apart...I am tight for space. Its just enough to have them next to each other without peoples hands touching.

#21 4 years ago

I have about 12 inches of space between my machines so that I can slip inbetween them and work on them if I have too.

#22 4 years ago

2" right now. I know there's a row where I'd like to squeeze one more in; but I have to move games over that have narrower backboxes (DE and Stern games are about 1-2" narrower).

Always that elusive Tetris game to fit one more in somewhere...

#23 4 years ago

just enough to get my hand in there to turn the key to unlock the backglass

#24 4 years ago

Not much, 2 or 3 inches, I slide games out to work on them.

#25 4 years ago

right now i've got about a foot between them, but i think it looks kinda weird like that. once MMRLE arrives, it'll be down to just a few inches between the heads and i think it will look better (and i should still be able to fit between them to do work)

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rickwh:

Pinball is primary, then one wall with three guitars hanging and two amps... Other wall has a treadmill and tv and filing cabinet.... i need less hobbies ... Hehe

I think you easily have room for three more pinballs. Ditch the treadmill and run outside, put the TV in the bedroom or living room, and go paperless and get rid of the filing cabinet!

#27 4 years ago

I used to keep about 1 inch between the games..... with the new room, I leave 3 to 4 inches. My goal was to have at least 6, but I ran out of space

#28 4 years ago

I go 5" between the heads.

#29 4 years ago

An inch between heads in my row, which allows me to cram in 5 where 4 would fit comfortably. It put whatever game I'm playing most perpendicular to my row on its own so I have more room to nudge and work on it.

#30 4 years ago

I like a minimum of 2" between heads so there is no risk of knocking together when moving or nudging... that results in 7" between flipper buttons for standard width games which is actually most important... anything less than that results in people touching hands while playing next to each other. Unexpected intimacy can have its benefits and drawbacks I suppose

#31 4 years ago

Seeing this thread got me to thinking that someone needs to come out with a product that we can slide between the heads of cabs that are close together to help protect them and not look ugly. I thought I was an oddball having mine so close. It looks like it's more common that I thought.

I may brainstorm some ideas to see if I can make something that looks decent and provides some protection.

#32 4 years ago

I have 4 in a row with approx. 2" in between back boxes. Enough to get to the key and not bump together when putting a little English on it. When I need to get in there I used to just schooch the others over in place for enough room to check things out. I did get tired of moving them so I built a jack. There are tons of threads about them... worth every penny.

#33 4 years ago

Our old place left us with only a few inches between flipper buttons. The house we're in now allows for about a foot with a bit of room to grow. Of course we are looking for a new machine so that will leave us with a few inches again...

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

You know what's worse? FEWER GAMES!!!!!
    Also, it's very rare that I work on a game. Once they're up and running, cleaning them can be done from the front of the machine most of the time.

I promise, I am not trying to be "that guy" but go to my name and click on "Activity" and then arrange it to where you can see how many threads start with "**- FIXED -**"

For whatever reason, I tend to get games that have "quirks" but that's ok! I seem to be one of those guys that likes to work on pins more than playing them . Now when I am over at other people's houses, THEN I play more than work. It seems to be the cards life has handed me, and I am ok with that !

#35 4 years ago

Slanted and overlapping back boxes. Sounds odd, but it allows me to pack 'em in.

#36 4 years ago

About 4" between heads. I don't like to worry about touching Jazz-Hands next to me.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 8,000.00
    $ 41.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 72.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 24.25
    Lighting - Other
    The MOD Couple
    $ 12.00
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 229.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 69.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside