(Topic ID: 289950)

How much longer until all top 10 pins are newer games?

By greeneye

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by drsfmd
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

according-to-my-calculations-september-3-2078 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from bepositive:

When newer games are more fun and built better .
    Shane

O'really?

Never heard of Stern coil stops being beat to dust in less than six months? I had a Stern Trek Prem I had to weld up the drop target bracket as it snapped off.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

with a few exceptions my older pins have been more reliable.

Older pins were flogged to death back in the day, arcades were packed with people playing.

Today's pins get less sustained play.

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:yeah I don't buy the "protecting the investment" angle at all.

I do, seen it happen. People game the lists for all sorts of reasons. I pay little attention to them at this point.

#69 3 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

I do not share that opinion. In fact, I'd say that NONE of them are top 25, and only 2 could be justified in the bottom half of of the top 100. They just aren't that good. You can't make up for shit layout and shit shots (not to mention absolute garbage quality) with code and light shows.

Related to a thought I was chewing on: How many new games 40 years ago were top 20 games?

Answer, damn few.

What makes you think the situation is any different now? Every single game Stern churns out today is not going to be a top 20 game any more than 40 years ago.

My wife and I got slagged for reviewing a newer Stern title. We checked it out at a show, loved the theme but simply hated the gameplay so it was struck off our buy list. The vitriol was something to behold, you would have thought we murdered someone's beloved pet dog just because we didn't share their opinion of the title.

Stern makes some great pins, not all of them are destined to become "classic."

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-longer-until-all-top-10-pins-are-newer-games?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.