(Topic ID: 289950)

How much longer until all top 10 pins are newer games?

By greeneye

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by drsfmd
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

according-to-my-calculations-september-3-2078 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coindork.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from oPinsesame:

Just because you prefer a newer game doesn’t mean that all the top games of all time should be the newer ones. We had the cargument above. But how about the filmument. Should all old movies be removed from Top XX Film of All Time lists? No Citizen Kane because it wasn’t in color? No Casablanca, despite its famous lines, because it might be dull by today’s standard?
    In Top XX list you have to judge games, cars, movies, athletes, in consideration of their era.
    Check back in 25 years if JJP GNR is better than Funhouse.

By that argument EM machines should be included in the top 100, and they are not.
    There is a separate list for those.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thunderbird:

A true top 100 is only known by sales numbers, which is the only factor that determines which game is best, otherwise it is all subjective.

That’s total bullshit and goes against all the Stern banter you just spewed.
    If sales and production numbers mark a machine as “the best machine of all times”, then its The Addams Family hands down (which it is not). Don’t get me wrong, it a great machine and has sold far more machines than anything else, but sales and production numbers is not the determining factor as to what’s the best. By that logic Terminator 2 is one of the top 10 machines ever made as they produced over 15k of them and it’s not even close. Stern isn’t making anywhere near what Bally and Williams were doing at their peak in the 90s. Nor does Stern even publish what their actual production figure are on modern machines (and have not for some time).

I do not disagree that comparing old games and new game against each other is not comparing apples to apples, but production numbers and sales are not the deterring factor as to what’s best.

Further, I challenge you to go read through the Pinside reviews of any small pinball companies machine that is not Stern. Set your filter to show rating without comments and look up all the bashing that occurs by Stern fan boys to other companies to boost Stern ratings. All you have to do is look at what games they have listed in their collection and see how they voted and it’s pretty clear what transpired. It’s huge and that shit works both ways.

I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, it just is what it is.

#51 3 years ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

I've only glanced at the top 100 a couple of times. Today I looked at the top EM 100 for the first time since you mentioned it, didn't even know it existed. My god that list is even more useless than the other one. Williams Lady Luck 4-player is number 1? You could pull a game out of a hat with your eyes closed and come up with better. Quick Draw is 68 and Fast Draw is 230 and they're the exact same game but 2 player vs. 4? Not one of the genius Gottlieb 50's single-players in there? The list should come with a laugh track.

The problem with the EM top 100 is that hardly anybody rates them.
    There is not a single EM pin in the entire system where the rating goes into the triple digits (100 or more ratings).
    For that matter there’s a ton of them with single digit ratings (9 or fewer) and countless others that are not even listed because they have no ratings.

The entire list of top 100 EMs could be manipulated and changed if a few people went on there and rated a bunch of machines.
    I suppose on a long enough timeline it would balance itself out (maybe).

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

I just went there and rated three or four that I used to own. I've had a lot of them but have only rated about 10-20%. I hope my 100% unbiased, even-handed and straight-shooting opinions will help out. Seriously though I don't enjoy giving a game a bad rating. I don't like some games that others consider to be very good, and vice versa.

The problem is a lot of people don’t get the opertunity to play a lot of the EM machines on location (at least out here).
    Out of all the locations here in Phoenix that have pinball, I can only think of two (Electric Bat and Starfighters), that have them in their rotation. Most other locations are 90s and newer (emphasis on newer), or maybe at best have an 80s solid state or two in the mix.

Out here you basically have to go play them at other collectors houses or places like The Museum of Pinball or Pinball Hall of Fame.

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from Charles_Kline:

I think a lot of those rating are by members who are trying (maybe subconsciously) to justify the cost in their head. A lot of the new games in the top 10 aren't really anything special other than they are brand new.

Dude, good to see you posting on here.
    I didn’t realize you were on this site.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coindork.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-longer-until-all-top-10-pins-are-newer-games?tu=Coindork and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.