(Topic ID: 139466)

How much is a Predator/Magic Girl Prototype Worth?

By kaneda

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 257 posts
  • 98 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by ChrisVW
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
a1cedeaedaac219a242e0d427a29f55a.jpg
SchruteBuck.jpg
454205-i.jpg
th.jpg
There are 257 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
#51 8 years ago

$5,000-5500

#52 8 years ago

I would guess, if pressed for criminal charges, it would be about 10-20 years in jail for copywrite infringement.

So, what's your time worth to you?

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

People, READ THE QUESTION. It's not what YOU THINK IT'S WORTH, it's WHAT DO YOU THINK SOMEBODY WHO COLLECTS WOULD PAY? Saying it's worth $0 makes no sense. Surely more than Congo

th.jpgth.jpg

#54 8 years ago

I wouldn't buy either one for obvious reasons but there are people that would unfortunately. My guess is that if you had a room of willing buyers (assholes) and had an auction, these machines would go for around

Predator 15-20K
MG 35-40K

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from Code_Blue:

You are literally the worst thing to ever happen to the coin-op hobby.

That's a really mean thing to say. Sorry if I've offended you. Was just asking a simple question. No need for personal attacks.

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

That's a really mean thing to say. Sorry if I've offended you. Was just asking a simple question. No need for personal attacks.

I doubt the poster intends that you warrant any malice, it's just that your tenacious nature is overwhelming on the average pinsider, myself included.

#57 8 years ago

You mean like this one....
454205-i.jpg454205-i.jpg

#58 8 years ago

Just when I though you were getting better kaneda you come and lay this giant steaming pile of shit on pinside

#59 8 years ago

Love how kaneda asks this question then innocently pretends to not understand why its in incredibly bad taste.

Yes, im not saying stupidity like that should be banned, but its still in bad taste.

Just becase you CAN do a thing, doesnt remotely mean you SHOULD do a thing.

Come bsck and ask after the million+ dollars people have been defrauded has been resolved.... To ask it now is purely trolling the forum.... The timing (after a Predator turned up) is anything but coincidental.

Not shocking as this is what attention whores do....

#60 8 years ago

So what is the history on Kaneda and why are people taking pot shots at him on threads he starts? I agree that this discussion is a bad idea considering how fresh the wounds still are for many unfortunate pinsiders.

#61 8 years ago

Wonder if Kevin left the laptop inside the cab or is it just a shell?

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

You mean like this one....
454205-i.jpg

See, there are modern games with worse cab art then GOT.

#63 8 years ago

The only rightful place for one of these prototypes would be a large public collection like the pinball hall of fame. Either that or a museum.

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from paulohotline:

So what is the history on Kaneda and why are people taking pot shots at him on threads he starts?

You can go research his past but basically he stole a rare arcade game from a kid and then made the kid jump through all sorts of hoops to get his money. Nobidy will ever know if the kid realy got his money as Kandeda was doing things like making the kid delete posts which talked bad about him as blackmail to get the funds. For all we know he is still taking advantage of the kid.

He now claims he has paid up but it appears the kid was still severely hurt by the situation.

#65 8 years ago

Not much, they are one offs that have a very limited audience

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Let me first state that a topic like this should never exist.

Obviously, you think it should.

#67 8 years ago

Consider this:

Are either of these machines really a prototype in the traditional sense. Or are they simply a one off garage build from failed ventures.

Notorious machines yes, but in my mind certainly not valued as a prototype or sample machine of a production run from an established manufacture.

In that context I view both of these machines as novelties with minimal value. Especially the Predator.

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Love how kaneda asks this question then innocently pretends to not understand why its in incredibly bad taste.
Yes, im not saying stupidity like that should be banned, but its still in bad taste.
Just becase you CAN do a thing, doesnt remotely mean you SHOULD do a thing.
Come bsck and ask after the million+ dollars people have been defrauded has been resolved.... To ask it now is purely trolling the forum.... The timing (after a Predator turned up) is anything but coincidental.
Not shocking as this is what attention whores do....

It's not stupidity. He knows exactly what He's doing. Kaneda is a troll who lives on pinside. Even moderated forums are obviously not immune.

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Notorious machines yes,

Their notoriety gives them their value. The history, the story is the worth.

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Well there is 1 unplayable magic girl proto I think. So $0?

This looks semi playable to me. I didn't know it made it this far though.

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Their notoriety gives them their value. The history, the story is the worth.

Yeah, I get that. But what value? For me it isnt much and again I see them as novelties. To each his own I guess.

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

» YouTube video

I had no idea it was that far along. Looked real nice too. No wonder so many preordered this.

#73 8 years ago

Ahh.....another great morning....good morning all.....does anybody around here PLAY pinball.....or just sit around bitching about it all day....???!!!...............Joey

#74 8 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Ahh.....another great morning....good morning all.....does anybody around here PLAY pinball.....or just sit around bitching about it all day....???!!!...............Joey

Quoted for irony.

#75 8 years ago

I'm no psychologist, but I think the reason why most people react so vitriolic to most of your threads, Kaneda, is because they highlight a materialistic part of society that they're trying to get away from when playing pinball (and visiting this site). I'm guessing most people are here because they think pinball is fun. Most of the threads you start however seem to revolve around monetary value (and deriving social status from that). You hardly seem talk about the fun aspect of pinball, but almost exclusively about what stuff's worth in dollars.

To me, it makes you come across as someone that doesn't "get" the fun-factor, the positive emotions that drive people to dive into this hobby. On top of that, by again starting a monetary focused thread on a topic that caused a lot of people a lot of emotional stress, you come across as even more materialistic than usual.

But hey, truth be told, you have improved a lot over the last half year or so, which is why I took the time to write this post. I'm not trying to bring you down, but just trying to make you see your posts from another perspective. Try to focus less on the money, and more on the fun man.

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

You can go research his past but basically he stole a rare arcade game from a kid and then made the kid jump through all sorts of hoops to get his money. Nobidy will ever know if the kid realy got his money as Kandeda was doing things like making the kid delete posts which talked bad about him as blackmail to get the funds. For all we know he is still taking advantage of the kid.
He now claims he has paid up but it appears the kid was still severely hurt by the situation.

I stole the game? Do you want to check your facts here? This statement is a flat out lie. Every single bit of it. A lie. I paid $6,500 in cash for Felix. And whatever differences Colton and I had were settled. Both parties have been happy for over a year and half. The only unhappy people are guys like Whysnow who keep complaining about that situation.

Whysnow, I will pay you $1,000 if you can show any proof that Colton is "severely hurt by the situation." Oh but wait, aren't you the big talker who doesn't pay his bets? I'll make it $2,000.

I know you're bitter as hell because you sunk your money into a loser like Kevin and it just burns you up inside seeing someone having the game you paid for. The situation is bullshit. You should have your pin. What you need to stop doing is slandering me personally. While I know the mods will never stand up for me (I'd be banned for saying half as much as others say about me), you're just making yourself look stupid by distorting the facts.

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

» YouTube video

I was there playing it. I took that video.

But hey if thats semi playable....manually moving the ball around, Ramos not designed properly ,playfield overlay that was all bumpy and couldnt make the ramp,weak flippers. It had artwork and a ton of missing mechs

#78 8 years ago

I like turtles.

- In before the LTG

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from cogito:

I'm no psychologist, but I think the reason why most people react so vitriolic to most of your threads, Kaneda, is because they highlight a materialistic part of society that they're trying to get away from when playing pinball (and visiting this site). I'm guessing most people are here because they think pinball is fun. Most of the threads you start however seem to revolve around monetary value (and deriving social status from that). You hardly seem talk about the fun aspect of pinball, but almost exclusively about what stuff's worth in dollars.
To me, it makes you come across as someone that doesn't "get" the fun-factor, the positive emotions that drive people to dive into this hobby. On top of that, by again starting a monetary focused thread on a topic that caused a lot of people a lot of emotional stress, you come across as even more materialistic than usual.
But hey, truth be told, you have improved a lot over the last half year or so, which is why I took the time to write this post. I'm not trying to bring you down, but just trying to make you see your posts from another perspective. Try to focus less on the money, and more on the fun man.

I play and enjoy pinball everyday man. Love it! Just had an awesome league match last night in NYC.

A big part of this hobby is the collector aspect. If you think I'm hellbent on the monetary aspect of pinball, you're wrong. I think my discussion in that area is equal to everyone else on here.

Let's be honest...we're on a message board talking daily about pinball and there's just not enough real news to sustain the level of engagement we enjoy here. So we talk about other aspects of the hobby. Collecting. When pre-orders will ship. Art issues. Outcomes of Skit-B and JPOP. And this community is a great one.

I've never made anyone read my threads. Over the past year, I've stopped personally insulting anyone. I've simply shared my opinions. Sometimes people agree. Sometimes they don't. That's cool. That's the point of this place. And I'm like the rest of you...I want to see pinball machines shipping, I want to see unboxing stories, I want to see beauitful artwork, I want to see people refunded, I want to see more discussion of gameplay...

I'll end with this note. I began to start post that were like, "What makes Medieval Madness so Special.." And even then, in the most positive of posts, I had people slamming me saying the post was redundant and to go read the reviews on the game to find out. Pinside is a place that no matter what you say, people will derail the thread sooner or later. Aren't those people the trolls? Much love guys. Can't wait to hang at Expo.

Chris

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Whysnow, I will pay you $1,000 if you can show any proof that Colton is "severely hurt by the situation."

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kaneda-makes-good-on-felix-deal#post-1812857

while the thread title makes it sound like all is good, the content make it obvious that you played all sorts of games witht he kid just so he could attempt to get the money he was owed. I stopped paying attention after all this and pretty much wrote you off at that time.

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

I was there playing it. I took that video.
But hey if thats semi playable....manually moving the ball around, Ramos not designed properly ,playfield overlay that was all bumpy and couldnt make the ramp,weak flippers. It had artwork and a ton of missing mechs

Magic Girl can flip, but is not even close to being a final prototype. The lack of working mechs after 4+ years is unfathomable. Hats off the Bill and Co. for getting it this far. They were told that the ramps were the final piece. So they worked their asses off to get the ramps made...and then...clearly once installed it was apparent the game still had ways to go. It's just crazy to think a final whitewood was not completed first before the art was commissioned. But all that said, someone would pay a lot just to have this thing sit there as a work of art.

Predator on the other hand is a fully working pin. I've always felt it looked like a totally turd. Strip away the Predator theme and show people the shot layout and Kevin would have gotten ZERO orders. Kevin is also a total piece of trash. He has no pinball history. No redeeming qualities. At least JPOP had at one time given pinball some amazing pins.

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kaneda-makes-good-on-felix-deal#post-1812857
while the thread title makes it sound like all is good, the content make it obvious that you played all sorts of games witht he kid just so he could attempt to get the money he was owed. I stopped paying attention after all this and pretty much wrote you off at that time.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Dude how pathetic can you get? You said I caused great harm to him. Where does it say that? Colton wrote a note saying we were all good and then pinside trolls jumped in and cried foul. Well, you're used to writing stuff off. You've written me off and trying to write off the money you lost on Predator. You're such a pathetic little man.

Why don't you post all of the comments about you bailing on your predator bet? Pot calling kettle black.

#83 8 years ago

SchruteBuck.jpgSchruteBuck.jpg

#84 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I've always felt it looked like a totally turd.

And yet you tried to buy a spot from someone in the list... you may have edited that post, but we do remember.

#85 8 years ago

I have not written off what is owed to me for Predator. In fact, the exact opposite but I will not talk about ongoing legal matters.

I paid up on all predator bets I actually had and it was well documented that I did pay up.

Reality is that you obvioulsy played all sorts of games with that kid, including coercing him to make a BS thread and withholding funds until he did. He then admitted that you had even put him up to it and then you never came through with all the funds.

I should not say that i had written you off back then. Reality is that recently you have been a bit more tolerable and actually some fun to engage with on the forum. However, threads like this show that you have not broken your cycle and make me see that somethings may not be possible to change.

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

And yet you tried to buy a spot from someone in the list... you may have edited that post, but we do remember.

Don't forget where Kaneda impersonated Colton on EBay to screw up the FIF deal.

Kaneda later said he did it "as a joke".

Here's hoping this thread joins the dozens of other locked threads that Kaneda started.

Meet the need Kaneda.... Same as the old Kaneda.

#87 8 years ago

Hey folks...whether you agree or don't with the topic, this is not going to turn into a "jump on Kaneda" thread. If you don't agree with the topic, don't post in it. If you have an opinion on the OP, leave it elsewhere. Take it up with the moderators. Start a thread in the Moderator Feedback area. But let's keep this on topic.

#88 8 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

I did. Not hiding from that fact. But that was before the final pin was revealed. Why? Because I LOVE Predator. One of my favorite movies of all time. And when Kevin showed the callouts and how he envisioned the black light working, I got excited. Just like everyone else. But as time went on, it became clear that he was never gonna get the black light effect working.

But the man thing that made me bail was Jim Hopper hanging upside down. The most amateur looking, piece of crap detail I'd ever seen on a pin. The final game just looked like shit. And once people started playing it, the feedback wasn't good.

Look guys...so many people have decided this thread is not a topic people want to discuss. Sorry for making the post. I wasn't trying to troll, I just saw the discussion happening in both threads and decided to bring the discussion together.

Since this thread is now nothing more than Whysnow doing his typical complaining and others questioning my sanity, it's safe to say we can close her down. To the few of you who actually answered the question in a respectful manner, thank you. To those of you who were offended, I'm truly sorry and I hope everyone impacted by both JPOP and Kevin gets a refund (or game) in the future.

Whysnow, I hope you go to expo so I can buy you a beer. Maybe if you actually talk to people face to face, you won't be so quick to write people off and go on these crusades to slander them every chance you get. I'm sorry Kevin ripped you off man, I really am. And I'm sure you're a great guy in person. Let's both let bygones be bygones. It's just pinball

#89 8 years ago

IBTL? (had to be said, LOL)

Not sure these would garner that much cash. Maybe some interest,
but they weren't made by a known company and they aren't "good"
titles. They weren't made at all. There wasn't a company.

Not sure all the hype/conjecture would create high bids.
Not sure it would even be a $1400 game, folks.
Sure not on many wish lists by Christmas.

#90 8 years ago

My own opinion on this by the way...
The jpop stuff might have some value as a collector. It's got a lot of crazy ideas and would be an interesting conversation piece. Jpop screwed himself, but he does have some good history in the industry prior to this. The ZombieYeti artwork is gorgeous. I see it as being $7-10k.
The predator...not worth a thing. The only thing it has going for it is the scandal. I wouldn't even see it as a conversation piece, I would bury it under blankets. Even owning it is dubious. I wouldn't want anything to do with it.

And, for the record, I don't own either, nor have I ever been offered, or have interest in that.

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

If you think I'm hellbent on the monetary aspect of pinball, you're wrong. I think my discussion in that area is equal to everyone else on here.

That's the thing. I'm talking about perception. I can only judge the letters on the screen. I'm hoping you won't construe this as a dig at you, but I actually tried to test this statement quickly. I tried scoring the last 50 threads you started on monetary aspect. Judging conservatively (dollar sign in the title, "worth", "value", that sort of thing), and I labeled 18/50 threads as "about money" (36%). Then I tried to find a pinside member that was comparable to you in sign-up date and post-count in this thread , which turned out to be POMC. When I scored the 50 most recent threads he started, I scored 4/50 threads as "about money", resulting in a score of 8%. I can send you the excel file if you'd like to see the scores, btw.

So, statistics notwithstanding, roughly 1 out of 3 of your threads are "about money", whereas a random, somewhat comparable person is 4 times less likely to talk about money. If you want me to perceive you differently, talk about other stuff more often. I really liked the "what's so special" threads, and I can even enjoy you enjoying your hellcat. So keep it up man, you're improving!

#92 8 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

My own opinion on this by the way...
The jpop stuff might have some value as a collector. It's got a lot of crazy ideas and would be an interesting conversation piece. Jpop screwed himself, but he does have some good history in the industry prior to this. The ZombieYeti artwork is gorgeous. I see it as being $7-10k.
The Predator...not worth a thing. The only thing it has going for it is the scandal. I wouldn't even see it as a conversation piece, I would bury it under blankets. Even owning it is dubious. I wouldn't want anything to do with it.

I totally respect your opinion, but mine is the exact opposite.
- MG is barely playable. I have little space and would not take a precious spot for a non functional piece of furniture, even if good looking.
- Predator on the other hand is a fully functional game with a complete ruleset. Yes it's simple, nothing special but it's a decent shooting game.

Assuming it was legal and that the money would go to the unfortunate predator victims, I would openly bid on Predator, not on MG. Sadly I doubt my budget would allow me to win that auction anyway.
(except if my initial $4750 count !? )

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

Freedom of speech man.

LOL..."Freedom of Speech". Let me try that out.

"How much is Kaneda's prized collection of platypus vaginas worth?"

Yeah, see - you may have the freedom to say something, but you should also have the common sense to know when you're just being a platypus vagina.

#94 8 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Hey folks...whether you agree or don't with the topic, this is not going to turn into a "jump on Kaneda" thread. If you don't agree with the topic, don't post in it. If you have an opinion on the OP, leave it elsewhere. Take it up with the moderators. Start a thread in the Moderator Feedback area. But let's keep this on topic.

*sigh* You were much cooler before you were a moderator. Now you're just WAY too serious. I long for the old days.

Anyway, slapping Kaneda around is one of my few little joys in life, and many times he brings it on himself. (And he was doing so good recently!) I'm also one of the first to defend him when it gets out of hand. Also, (I think) he knows I actually like him...I mean, what's not to like about a guy with TMNT bedding?

But in this case, Greg, I think the post was just offensive. So--to get back on topic before you eject me from this thread--let me answer the question of what a Magic Girl and Predator is worth: It's worth millions of lost dollars to people who believed in boutique pinball enough to support two guys with a vision. They entrusted their cash to those guys and watched it vanish. And now to have prototypes floating around being rubbed in their faces just adds insult to injury. And then Kaneda has to throw gasoline on the fire.

So, yeah...the attacks on Kaneda are directly tied to the subject of this thread and, I think, are actually relative to the topic. It was insensitive, hurtful, and showed a complete disregard for the feelings of people who've lost a ton of cash on something they were excited about and believed in.

See you in 24 hours...

/eject

PS - I think you should lock the thread.

#95 8 years ago
Quoted from cogito:

revolve around monetary value (and deriving social status from that

Seems to be a lot people getting their "shine on" here on pinside...Cars, homes, pin collections, kids, gas powered power tools, pets, peacocks, home movie theaters, etc...

And with that, everyone falls into one of 3 categories...Love it! tolerate or ignore it hate it!

#96 8 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

People are so quick to attack lately. It's just a fun discussion. If you don't like it, don't read or post.
Anyway, I don't see them fetching that much. Maybe a few grand each. They have such a negative history attached to them and I think that would deter many buyers.
Plus, mg isn't finished.
I don't think people will see them as a prototype like Pinball Circus or Kingpin.

I agree. Even with all the well deserved negativity, it's an interesting question. Neither off them are worth much to me, but an auction might bring in a surprising amount.

#97 8 years ago

Beelzeboob for Pinside Mayor.

#98 8 years ago

Some people just don't get it...

Courtesy is too much to ask for.

#99 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

PS - I think you should lock the thread.

I second the notion.

#100 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I stole the game? Do you want to check your facts here? This statement is a flat out lie. Every single bit of it. A lie. I paid $6,500 in cash for Felix. And whatever differences Colton and I had were settled. Both parties have been happy for over a year and half. The only unhappy people are guys like Whysnow who keep complaining about that situation.
Whysnow, I will pay you $1,000 if you can show any proof that Colton is "severely hurt by the situation." Oh but wait, aren't you the big talker who doesn't pay his bets? I'll make it $2,000.
I know you're bitter as hell because you sunk your money into a loser like Kevin and it just burns you up inside seeing someone having the game you paid for. The situation is bullshit. You should have your pin. What you need to stop doing is slandering me personally. While I know the mods will never stand up for me (I'd be banned for saying half as much as others say about me), you're just making yourself look stupid by distorting the facts.

Don't the original disney fif's go for $20k? thats a hell of a steal then

There are 257 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-is-predatormagic-girl-prototype-worth/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.