(Topic ID: 171946)

How much is my 1977 Gottlieb Lucky Hand worth?

By spalmerton330

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Lucky hand (resized).jpg
Lucky hand 2 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hello all,

I am new to the pinball community and received a 1977 Gottlieb Lucky Hand. The one whom gave me the machine is former Buffalo Bills player, Wray Carlton, whom scored the first AFL Buffalo Bills touchdown. It has all of its original components and is in pretty decent condition. I have attached some photos as well so you can see for yourself. The legs were detached for transportation.

I am curious as to how much this machine is worth. I have one offer for $450, it seems a little low. Let me know.

I appreciate any and all responses!

Lucky hand 2 (resized).jpgLucky hand 2 (resized).jpg
Lucky hand (resized).jpgLucky hand (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

I am in the Western New York area.

#3 7 years ago

Single player wedgehead and AAB version of Jacks Open. About 610 made, but they typically didn't make a lot of AAB games. Hard to see insert condition and if the reds in the backglass are flaking or faded.

From what I see here, I'd guess $800-$900ish.

#4 7 years ago

$1500 plus, all day long

#5 7 years ago

$10k by xmas!

#6 7 years ago

Replay version is worth more IMO, but this is one of the few "A+" EM titles, very desirable

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

$1500 plus, all day long

I must not see what your seeing.
Mike

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Mike

What would you price this machine at, Mike?

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Mike

It's an EM collector thing

#10 7 years ago

With a title like this, it depends on how much you want to wait. If you want it sold in a week, list it for $1000 and take less. If you want top $ for it, it may take a while to sell. If you are willing to ship it to the West coast, you may even get closer to 2K for it. It really depends on what length you are willing to go for the buyer when you are selling a machine. Your location is key as well. EM's are typically a hotter commodity on the West coast.

So, your how much is it worth question can have a lot of different answers. You see?

#11 7 years ago

One of the 70's greatest. $1200-$1800

#12 7 years ago

Pending pics id value and offer 1k as-is

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from spalmerton330:

What would you price this machine at, Mike?

If you consider area,because it seems California has everything over priced and I live in the New England,In my opinion if your looking to sell it without waiting 6 months or longer for someone with deep pockets,you should take $1000 cash and have no regrets.
Mike

#14 7 years ago

Considering it was given to him, the original $450 isn't really a lowball offer.

#15 7 years ago

I've seen really nice examples of this game fetch $1800, $2200, and $3500. All of them, however, were extensively restored.

#17 7 years ago

That is an aggressive price well above everyone's estimates. Seems strange to ask for help and then discard it all.

#18 7 years ago

With the better pics I'll still offer 1k pending pics w the playfield glass off

#19 7 years ago

1K give or take.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

That is an aggressive price well above everyone's estimates. Seems strange to ask for help and then discard it all.

He turned into a pinsider quickly!

#21 7 years ago

I sold a nice replay version, no flaking, no play field paint loss, average cabinet for $1500. Need close up pics but w/good glass and decent play field should be in that ballpark.

#22 7 years ago

What a dillweed. Gets a free game, gets a free evaluation and then lists game for free for twice the valuation. Was it Thing who said.... GREEEEEED?

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

What a dillweed. Gets a free game, gets a free evaluation and then lists game for free for twice the valuation. Was it Thing who said.... GREEEEEED?

Actually, I am a pretty poor individual trying to make ends meet, bills to pay, mouths to feed. Before you say GREEEEEEED, find your facts first. If you add all evaluations and divide them (thats the average, buddy), its around 2000.

#24 7 years ago

As is always the case, the market will decide what it's worth - it's worth what anyone is willing to pay for it. In general, I think this is a $1,000 game. If you want more than that, be prepared to wait. If you need to sell it, be prepared to lower your price.

In general, it's tough to sell a game on a collector's forum after asking people for advice on how much a game is worth and then telling them you got it for free. For some reason, people like to think that what you paid for a game has an effect on what you can sell it for.

At any rate, selling a game is always about finding the right guy at the right time at the right price. Your game will sell but what you get for it will depend on how many factors (right guy, right time and right price) happen at the same time.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

In general, it's tough to sell a game on a collector's forum after asking people for advice on how much a game is worth and then telling them you got it for free. For some reason, people like to think that what you paid for a game has an effect on what you can sell it for.

Agree 100%, what someone paid for something previously is completely irrelevant to what something is actually worth in present sale. The owner has the absolute right to make as much as possible. For someone to come on here and say I will give you $X because you only paid $Y , and you should be happy with that, is total bullshit. Go play that game with your local car dealer.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. How many of us have sold one of our machines for LESS than what we paid for it? I am raising my hand.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

Considering it was given to him, the original $450 isn't really a lowball offer.

Not sure what that has to do with it.

If I gave you a MM for free, it wouldn't still be worth $8,000?

As for everyone else, why are you filling the OP's head with lies?

This is an EM pinball machine, medium collectability, that hasn't been shopped in 40 years. It's not worth $1,000. It's not worth $2,000. $450 is a little low probably but if he really wants to sell it he should be happy with $700ish.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Not sure what that has to do with it.
If I gave you a MM for free, it wouldn't still be worth $8,000?
As for everyone else, why are you filling the OP's head with lies?
This is an EM pinball machine, medium collectability, that hasn't been shopped in 40 years. It's not worth $1,000. It's not worth $2,000. $450 is a little low probably but if he really wants to sell it he should be happy with $700ish.

He already has a $1k offer.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

He already has a $1k offer.

Fair enough...but we are seeing people throw out numbers north of $2,000 here.

And let's see what happens with his "offer" when it comes time to collect. About 75 percent of all pinball offers blow away with the slightest breeze, like a fart in the wind.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

EM pinball machine, medium collectability, that hasn't been shopped in 40 years.

Who knows when it was shopped? EM's shopped/non shopped only matters if a non pinhead buys it. If you are an EM person you'll know how to and actually want to go through the game anyway. It's the condition of the game which you can't really tell from the pics. This game is more collectible than the replay version and like I said, a nice Jacks Open goes $1500...I sold one for that and have watched prices on it lately.

If this is nice it'd sell for $1500 shopped or not. If glass is flaking and/or play field worn, probably $1000 or under. Over 2k is full on shopped, working 100%, end of the rainbow, selling to a non pinhead price I think. No harm in trying for that price though...then adjust down a bit if it sits.

#30 7 years ago

So, using the original thread creator's logic: if some random uninformed person says it's worth $200, you are going to factor that in to your "asking price"? That's just nonsense.

If you add up the "evaluations" in this thread that are not jokes, you should get $1220.

900 (less than 1K was quoted)

6100 divided by 5 = 1220

And that is considering a couple quoted prices that were "completely restored". This one is NOT.

I would not expect an offer over 1K. Hell, anything is possible... I just don't see it "in the cards" this time.

If you are "poor against time" like your post above suggests, 1000 is a ton of money. You should take it.

Likewise, if someone offers you $2000 for it and you post a pic of the $ with my handle in it, I will send Pinside a donation on your behalf, since you will likely not pay the fees that you should for the ad you created.

1 month later
#31 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

About 75 percent of all pinball offers blow away with the slightest breeze, like a fart in the wind.

I AM DEAD!

In regards to value I think that machine looks to be in really nice condition. Sure we don't know the operational state of it. We assume it hasn't been shopped but judging by this fellow he doesn't know much about it's history. Maybe that football fellow is a closet pinhead who thoroughly shopped this machine and has autographed it all over
Truthfully I could see him getting upwards of 1k.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-is-my-1977-gottlieb-lucky-hand-worth and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.