• 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by mcclad
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

congo_9.jpg
There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

This may ruffle a few feathers but how much is Congo worth now in 2015.

Reason i ask? I have a very poor condition Congo, that needs a lot of work, probably over 2k worth ,is it worth spending the money on it? Or is the bubble about to burst?

It appears people who own mint congos are claiming they are the holy grail just now.

Cheers.

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from GeoNeo:

It appears people who own mint congos are claiming they are the holy grail just now.

You got it. Congo is not in demand. Hype is the reason you see Congo in the threads!

#3 8 years ago

Beater that needs that much work is probably worth 1200-1500 if the playfield is in good shape. Good player condition games seem to be going for 2800-3400. Nice examples seem to be going for 3500-4200. Anything else better be clear coated and restored in my opinion. Others might find it worth it though.

So if your game is currently worth 1200 and you need 2000 to get it into shape you will be doing a lot of work for pretty much no profit. If you are doing it to keep the game it might be worth it as a fun project.

#4 8 years ago

I wouldn't pay over $2,900 for a nice Congo. I'd say it's a mid-upper $2k game, not $3k+ by any means (however it's possible that other people would pay that)

#5 8 years ago

I always thought it played like a Sega. Great layout, but not robust. I bought mine for 1200 and sold it for 1400 around 10 yrs ago. Hope everyone gets to play, own and pass it on.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from GeoNeo:

I have a very poor condition Congo, that needs a lot of work, probably over 2k worth

curious, what all needs to be done?

$2k is alot of stuff...

Players machines sell for 3kish. Nicer go up from there.

#7 8 years ago

They are worth a fortune since the playfields are covered in diamonds.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

You got it. Congo is not in demand. Hype is the reason you see Congo in the threads!

Nice logic. People are buying and selling Congo's for decent prices but that's all make believe according to you.

All pins have value and they go up and down. Congo is a good title that people are looking for. It's a semi-rare game so hard to find for many people. Condition is everything so nice examples seem to be around $3500. Not sure what you mean by bad condition. That could mean anything from not working to a banged up cabinet. If you get it working 100% and clean, someone will want it.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Players machines sell for 3kish.

More like 2k and up.

#10 8 years ago

if your looking for one its on the - side of asking price if you are selling its on the + side!

Quoted from McCune:

maybe in UT. it's not desirable but here on the east coast it a hot commodity.

#11 8 years ago

I think it's about on par with TS, though i'm obviously biased towards TS. They are both good players that were cheap for a long time because they have ugly backglasses. I wouldn't pay more than 2800 for a nice example of either. We enjoy better prices down south, though. Guys around the great lakes and on the west coast should expect to spend about 3,500 for a nice example of either.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

More like 2k and up.

where? I would like a 2k players machine! Seriously, ben looking for a friend for a long time. he fell in love with mine and just wants a player.

#13 8 years ago

Congo has one of the best playfield layouts in pinball - it's a similar layout to Funhouse and Tron...but with more shots.

I'd value a complete beater at $2000 if it needs $2k of work. $3500 seems to be the going rate for a good clean game.

#14 8 years ago

Since A-list titles have climbed ridiculously high in price, people flocked to the cheaper B-list and C-list titles, which have now also crept up in price. They probably won't go back down unless the A-list titles do.

#15 8 years ago

Today, Id say its a bit hard to find under 3K without issues...Cabinet, Playfied wear, or in need of all new ramps and repair.
I felt I did well with this a few weeks ago at 3K, and have spent around $300 to restore.
Anything I found under $3K, had more playfield where, or restoration expense.
So, I have passed on $2600 type games, as playfield repair and time would have run more to reach this point.
Plenty of demand in the south...a Fun game that my wife and young neighbors kids enjoy.
The Green Foliage artwork, music, video modes...its an even package all around.

congo_9.jpgcongo_9.jpg

#16 8 years ago

I just am looking forward to colorDMD on this game!

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Today, Id say its a bit hard to find under 3K without issues...Cabinet, Playfied wear, or in need of all new ramps and repair.
I felt I did well with this a few weeks ago at 3K, and have spent around $300 to restore.
Anything I found under $3K, had more playfield where, or restoration expense.
So, I have passed on $2600 type games, as playfield repair and time would have run more to reach this point.
Plenty of demand in the south...a Fun game that my wife and young neighbors kids enjoy.
The Green Foliage artwork, music, video modes...its an even package all around.

congo_9.jpg

Wow, that one really pops.

#18 8 years ago

Thanks!,

Tweaking the lights has been a joyous pain....I wish I could photo better....next skill to learn.
A few more steps, the Volcano has now an assortment of panel flashers, and awaiting some new stuff to add...
Ice Blue in the Pops, or any game where they can fit is a surreal glow in this color!

#19 8 years ago

looking forward to seeing it ART!

#20 8 years ago

Congo is not a good game imho watch it on you tube it's awful!!! I would not own one terrible theme music ect bad movie too I'm gonna say it's worth 1200 beat up maybe.boring come on it's about an ape that uses sign language ugh I know people claim it's so great but only when they're trying to off it!!thumbs down me if you hate Congo too!!!!!lmao

#21 8 years ago

Had a chance to finally play a Congo two months back. great game don't think you would find a working one in Canada for under 3200$.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Snowyetti:

Congo is not a good game imho watch it on you tube it's awful!!! I would not own one terrible theme music ect bad movie too I'm gonna say it's worth 1200 beat up maybe.boring come on it's about an ape that uses sign language ugh I know people claim it's so great but only when they're trying to off it!!

Have you played one? Nobody cares about the movie or any theme if the pin is fun to play. The opposite is also true. Nobody wants a pin with a great theme but terrible gameplay. I didn't think Congo was all that from pics and videos until I played one. Great fun.

#23 8 years ago

Fun pin took me over 6 months to find a decent one and its been the most played ever since .Seems 3 -3500for a nice working one is the going rate and ones with new ramps, window, plastics , leds, cliffys and in really nice shape are 3500-4250 at least thats what I found when I was looking for one . I also have been messaged many times or asked at shows when im going to sell it . I've turned 4k down twice and 3750 down 5 times .mine has new everything and is in dam fine condition but im not ready to part with it yet . Yea tbere are people that claim it isn't worth 2k but remember games like bsd, ts and wh20 use to be in the same situation and now look where they are ? Congo is much rarer and in higher demand than most titles the past year or so also which is also y prices are up .

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Have you played one? Nobody cares about the movie or any theme if the pin is fun to play. The opposite is also true. Nobody wants a pin with a great theme but terrible gameplay. I didn't think Congo was all that from pics and videos until I played one. Great fun.

Exactly I mean look at ts and jm awesome games to play but the movies were much worse than congo imo.

#25 8 years ago

Those who are selling: $5,000
Those who are buying: $2500.00

All kidding aside, it's a great pin. I love mine. I wouldn't sell it for under 4k. Regardless it's not for sale.

My friend just sold one for 4k and it was gone within a day of posting it. It's rare and fun.

I feel like congo gets some hate from those who can't find one/afford one to buy for some reason.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

where? I would like a 2k players machine! Seriously, ben looking for a friend for a long time. he fell in love with mine and just wants a player.

One that was in decent shape sold for 2200 at the Ohio show.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

One that was in decent shape sold for 2200 at the Ohio show.

so a 1 off and not actually 2000...

Any more realistic ones or ones that are available actually? I was not at OH show and assume that was a 1 off. I have been keeping my eyes peeled for the past 12 months and nothing close to 2k (actually 3k seems the norm for a players game).

#28 8 years ago

Glad I picked one up for $1,000 when I did. It's a fun, unique game, but I wouldn't pay anywhere near $3,000 for one...let alone more than that.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Any more realistic ones or ones that are available actually? I was not at OH show and assume that was a 1 off. I have been keeping my eyes peeled for the past 12 months and nothing close to 2k (actually 3k seems the norm for a players game).

Picked up a nice candidate with no wear for $2400 about 4 months ago. Spent about $350~ to get it looking awesome

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Picked up a nice candidate with no wear for $2400 about 4 months ago. Spent about $350~ to get it looking awesome

awesome. That is what I am looking for for my buddy.

#31 8 years ago

I got mine fro $2200 a year ago and was pretty happy about that. It was in pretty decent shape, but freaking filthy. Typical cab fade. Had one broken plastic and a chip out of the volcano. That is is.

I am doing a ground up restore on it now. Playfield has been cleared and cabinet is being repainted and is getting new decals. New ramps, plastics etc. Should be sexy

#33 8 years ago

I think many of us chase the same goal which can be hard.

A decent title, that is $2000-$2500 that we can fix up.
I have bought a few in the last year.
Shadow $2100....$900 to restore $3K
Congo $3K, plus $300
Pinball Magic $2600 plus $400 $3K
Whitewater $2500 plus $500 $3K

So I dont think twice, when someone has done all this work, and offers a really nice restored game
for $3000-$4000.

Seems fair all around.

I wish they were the under $2000, but so close to impossible to find once it gets on the web.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Quoted from LesManley:

Glad I picked one up for $1,000 when I did.

Quoted from Gov:

I got mine fro $2200 a year ago and was pretty happy about that.

Well there's 2 more examples. Where are all the 3k examples?

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

those were over a year ago. I bought my personal game 2 years ago for 2500 and it is a very nice example.

recently/ in the past year that is not the case. I wish it was so I could help my buddy out.

here you go for current listings
https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/congo/market

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-congo-for-sale

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-congo-for-sale-3400

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-congo-3k-come-get-it

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

those were over a year ago. I bought my personal game 2 years ago for 2500 and it is a very nice example.
recently/ in the past year that is not the case. I wish it was so I could help my buddy out.
here you go for current listings
https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/congo/market
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-congo-for-sale
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-congo-for-sale-3400
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-congo-3k-come-get-it

I will eat my humble pie in peace. Unbelievable. Wish I would've bought the one at the Ohio show now.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Again these needed alot of love and all said and done they will have well over 3k in them to make them nice. The title asked about a congo in rough condition and needs alot of attention so depending on what it needs will depend what its worth. Its hard to really put a price on a pin with unknown condition but in general a nice players congo is 3 -3500 all day long just look how fast they sell for that price on here. The sky is the limit just like any pin depending on the condition and restore .for example rob had a beautiful nos populated play field and newly decaled cab with chrome trim that sold rather quickly at 6k I believe?

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I got mine fro $2200 a year ago and was pretty happy about that. It was in pretty decent shape, but freaking filthy. Typical cab fade. Had one broken plastic and a chip out of the volcano. That is is.
I am doing a ground up restore on it now. Playfield has been cleared and cabinet is being repainted and is getting new decals. New ramps, plastics etc. Should be sexy

Sell it to me Gov.

#39 8 years ago

I've seen a few (non-retail) $3k-$3500 JD's listed in the past couple months. Last year it was a $2200-$2800 game. Before that, it was a $1400 game, folks. Prices keep climbing on all these B-list titles

#41 8 years ago

I think once a B List game (supposedly) hits $4k, you're better off buying an A List game or NIB. Historically, you could buy 2-3 Bs for the price of one A and for good reason. Now that the difference is much slighter, paying $500-$1000 more the the IJ, TAF, TZ, TOM, SM, LOTR, NIB Metallica, etc is a No Brainer.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I think once a B List game (supposedly) hits $4k, you're better off buying an A List game or NIB. Historically, you could buy 2-3 Bs for the price of one A and for good reason. Now that the difference is much slighter, paying $500-$1000 more the the IJ, TAF, TZ, TOM, NIB Metallica, etc is a No Brainer.

No way I enjoy playing congo more than my tz and met . I really cant explain it except its just a fun good shooting pin that isnt to serious like my met and tz .same goes with wh20 just a fun fun pin

#43 8 years ago

I had a Congo for a while years and unloaded it for 1500 about 4 years ago. The game is OK but nothing special... just a bunch of disconnected modes with no cohesion. The gorilla toy can be beaten by flailing... the volcano is pretty cool, especially when the tip breaks off and it starts throwing pinballs all over the place. The music is by far the best part of the game. Upgrade the speakers so you get the bass out of the diamond hunt cha-cha.

I predict this game being a passing fad, and it will fade away as people get bored with it and more Stern and JJP games come out. But, who knows. I know I'm done with it.

#44 8 years ago

Been a fad for over 2 years now lol . Actually seems to be getting more popular .o well soon there will be no decent priced w/b pins . Nothing we can do as long the hobby keeps growing which is usually a good thing but prices on everything including nib is getting crazy .at least you get a full featured pin if you buy older pins lol.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

No way I enjoy playing congo more than my tz and met . I really cant explain it except its just a fun good shooting pin that isnt to serious like my met and tz .same goes with wh20 just a fun fun pin

That's a spot-on assessment, D. Every now and then you get tired of the ultra deep games and just want something moronic to play. Collect 100 diamonds and work your way through the mystery and map awards? Sounds like a plan to me!

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Been a fad for over 2 years now lol

actually 3 years from what I can tell. About 3 years ago at MGC I remember a nice one being available and then later that year I remember another nice one at expo. Ever since then people started to realize it is a really fun game. It is also somewhat rare by 90s production standards. The reality is that many people really like it once they have it (mine will never leave as it is a top 5 for me and I put it right next to games like TAF, TZ, TWD.

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

actually 3 years from what I can tell. About 3 years ago at MGC I remember a nice one being available and then later that year I remember another nice one at expo. Ever since then people started to realize it is a really fun game. It is also somewhat rare by 90s production standards. The reality is that many people really like it once they have it (mine will never leave as it is a top 5 for me and I put it right next to games like TAF, TZ, TWD.

Well ive only been in hobby for 2 lol so thats y I said that .but yes I dont plan on getting rid of mine unless a restored one pops up for a nice price

#48 8 years ago

I had a pretty nice one (a few scratches on the cabinet, but a really nice PF) a couple years ago that I paid $1900.00 for. I didn't steal it either, as I simply paid the going rate at the time from SoCalPinballs.

I like the pin overall, mostly because of the Volcano shot, but the lower PF is a joke, and some of the callouts (especially from Amy) are just dreadful.

Getting to the wizard mode is easy, and it's disappointing when you do get there. It's a good shooting pin, with some unique features, but it never had a chance of staying in my collection for a significant period of time.

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

It is also somewhat rare by 90s production standards. The reality is that many people really like it once they have it (mine will never leave as it is a top 5 for me and I put it right next to games like TAF, TZ, TWD

Hey, to each their own. It just gets kinda boring... the only strategy is making sure you grab locks as soon as they light, so collected diamonds always go towards the next lock. Otherwise, it's pretty mindless. Skill Fire is pretty cool, and the music is great... but otherwise this is an average pin with substandard toys and wizard mode IMHO. Oh, and Tim Curry could go away as well. Glad people are throwing cash at this one and not games I like

#50 8 years ago

Pretty funny that the reasons people give for not liking Congo is reasons why I like it. I also think the whole A and B rating is mindless just like any of the rankings. For me, A-rated just means it costs a lot more. Plenty of expensive, top rated pins, do little for me and would rather have so called B rated pins because they are more fun. It is difficult to spend $4000+ on an old pin when you can get a new Stern pro for not much more. However, when the pro's start looking like they do with GoT, that decision gets a lot easier.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 37.50
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-is-congo-actually-worth and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.