New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 132118)

How much is a NIB Stern in your country

By Kiwipinhead

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Kiwipinhead
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Schermafbeelding_2015-07-02_om_20.41.44.png

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Well ST was my first NIB, and first Stern game. And I honestly never knew about how long code took from them. Or the issues with it. As I never read any Posts about Stern since I didnt own one.
    After getting it and finally reading some Stern posts on pinside. I found out what I was in for.

Okay, that's a bit different then. It is a good demonstration of how Stern is damaging the hobby though: you paid big money for what you reasonably assumed would be a finished product and got a work in progress. A lot of people buying their first ever game would simply walk away from the hobby disillusioned.

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from brent149:

Maybe there's a law against it, but could Canadians even remotely close to the boarder swing down to the U.S. and bring one back?

There is no law against it. Of course we could go across the border and buy one. I live a 30 min drive from the U.S. border.
    But with the duty and taxes and exchange rate on the dollar it would cost even more than just buying one here.

#53 5 years ago

That's what I was curious about. I didn't know if there was a charge to bring it across the border.

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from brent149:

That's what I was curious about. I didn't know if there was a charge to bring it across the border.

There is no duty on pinball machines. You have to pay Federal/Provincal tax whether you buy it in Canada or bring it across the border, so that is a wash. The big problem is the exchange rate, we have to add ~25% on top of the US price. Not Stern's fault, but it would be nice if they would offer a manufacturer discount on sales to other countries. I know my NIB purchases have dropped to zero along with the drop in the dollar.

#55 5 years ago

Has anybody figured out, how hard it is to convert the new SPIKE system to non-USA power....i.e. 220v?

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from Esoteric_rt:

Has anybody figured out, how hard it is to convert the new SPIKE system to non-USA power....i.e. 220v?

Swapping the voltage won't be an issue. But it'll need a bypass board to bypass the 60 hertz blocking built into the board. (USA 50hz machines will not work on 60hz, same as SAM boardsets ... Alternately a NZ/Europe 60hz machine will not work in the USA)

There are clever people who can sort this out.

rd.

1 month later
    #57 5 years ago

well 1 month on & a $400 price increase here in NZ

A Stern pro is now $9.9k.. The famous 10k by Christmas has come true

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pincrawler:

My MET Pro LED was purchased thru Nitro. They got it from Starburst from what I know. Monopoly intact.....

intact indeed

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

well 1 month on & a $400 price increase here in NZ
    A Stern pro is now $9.9k.. The famous 10k by Christmas has come true

Wow. So I know there is one Kiss Pro routed up in Auckland. At that price that may be it here. I don't know of any others in NZ, anyone else? No way I would pay that much.

This will just make conditions ripe for a group purchase and parallel importing as soon as the hack for making US spike boards is out here. Wait a year or two and grab a bunch of used pros from the US for half of what they would go for here.

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from clg:

This will just make conditions ripe for a group purchase and parallel importing as soon as the hack for making US spike boards is out here. Wait a year or two and grab a bunch of used pros from the US for half of what they would go for here.

Yep, that's the way it's heading. The reality is nobody can afford to slap down $10,000 (to $14,000 for LE) for a pinball machine every few months.

It just makes the older ones even more attractive.

(Excepting faded hammered Elvira's for $5000).

rd

#61 5 years ago

down here in south africa a guy has a kiss pro for $6080 usd. but i wont even buy one for half of that, but hey lets not bash stern they did keep the doors open when everyone gave up on it, but kiss aint impressive to me at all.

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

(Excepting faded hammered Elvira's for $5000).
    rd

Bargain i know!

3 weeks later
    #63 5 years ago

GoT is out, so are new prices!

LE 16k NZ or 10,088 US
    Pro 10.2k NZ or 6,431 US

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 79.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.50
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    BK Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 19.00
    $ 209.99
    $ 14.95
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 159.00
    $ 14.95
    $ 259.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 17.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Game Room Info Shop
    $ 78.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside