(Topic ID: 148260)

How much interest in a Stern STAR TREK rules/info doc?

By Tuna_Delight

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 161 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ectobar
  • Topic is favorited by 39 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you like to see a comprehensive rules/info/strategy doc created for Stern ST?”

• Yes - I would LOVE to see this happen! 156 votes
    91%
  • Meh - it would be good for the game/hobby, but not really necessary given the info already available. 10 votes
    6%
  • No - I have no interest in this whatsoever. 5 votes
    3%

(171 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture_d’écran_2016-01-29_à_16.22.07_(resized).png
Do_it_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 8 years ago

I know Esabee is working on it, but two heads are better than one.

Please, I need a rule sheet, I really enjoy playing games after I read the rules. Currently I don't play ST as much because I'm wanting to read the rules first.

#33 8 years ago

thanks for doing this..

here is a nice AcDc rule sheet. I printed it out and it was something like 18 pages. Might be worth looking at, there is also a very comprehensive Tspp rules from a while back. Still looking for a good Metallica rule sheet. http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/4761-For-Those-About-to-Rock-AC-DC-Premium-LE-v1-65-Ruleset

But I learned a super ton of info I'd have never known otherwise.

I had suggested to Eskabee that it'd be nice for one brief maybe 2-3 page overview of the basic rules and then a more comprehensive rule sheet maybe with points (if possible).

anyway thanks again to both of you guys.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Heaven knows!
With the 3rd Star Trek film on it's way for 22nd July 2016, and i read somewhere on Pinside that Stern will be making more Premiums 'next year'; one can only hope they will pay the game some last respect and really squeeze out more of that untapped potential in the lighting effects and rules. Just a shame it might be another 5-6 months before we get to sample it...

If anything I'd like to see some side missions like the timed modes SM has like Rescue MJ or Bonesaw modes, just side missions/modes that bring in some variation from time to time.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I just tested this quickly with the glass off on two missions. Here are the scores I got:
NERO:
1st shot -- 100K (I believe)
2nd shot -- 145K
3rd shot -- 190K
Started away team
4th shot (red matter targets now) -- 1,180,000
5th shot -- 1,255,000
6th shot -- 1,330,000
7th shot -- 1,405,000
So the first shots were going up in value by 45K. Once I started away team, somehow the base value became 1.180M (not sure how -- it is not easily divisible by either 190K or 235K) and the shots increased by 75K.
DTD
1st shot -- 120K
2nd shot -- 165K
Started away team
3rd shot (left kickout) -- 855K
4th shot -- 930K
5th shot -- 1,005,000
So the away team shots are still increasing by 75K each time.
I didn't have time to play around with this enough. I'm guessing that the base away team shot is dependent upon how many prior regular mission shots you get -- I've heard this, and it has been my theory for a while now. The value of those regular shots appears to increase by 45K each time, with perhaps different starting values depending on the mission (??). The value of the away team shots appears to increase by 75K each time.
This will take a lot of additional work to verify. For instance, what if I did the same thing only starting with DTD and then doing Nero? What if I kept going through the missions? I need more time. Also, it is kind of a pain because as I write down the shot values, I take too much time, and the pin keeps going into ball search mode.

Thanks,

Is there any way to record the display and write/calculate the score later?

Seems more efficient that way.

#45 8 years ago

I've been playing more STLE, I've played it less than any pin in my collection.

I was playing more AcDc and Met after reading the rules and I'd concentrate on one aspect of the rules at a time. Kind of getting familiar with each area in isolation before putting it all together.

1 week later
#50 8 years ago
Quoted from Guitoone:

The base value of a mission is:
For Level 1 mission: 100 000 + 15 000 x (Number of shot level 1) + 30 000 x (Number of Shot level 2) + 45 000 x (Number of shot level 3)

Can you explain what you mean by number of shot level 2 and level 3?

I mean this is talking about level 1 mission, so I'm a bit confused.

Also does each shot add another +15K ( so first shot is +15K second shot +30K third shot +45K) or does it just count the number of shots n x 15K?

#58 8 years ago

I still don't understand, but now I'm starting to see a bit more clearly. It pays to make a lot of shots in the modes not just for the medals but to add to the next mode value.

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from Guitoone:

Thanks,
Shot level 2 means a shot with flashing arrow during a level 2 mission.
In my exemple (excel tab), i have done:
1 shot during Space Jump I
6 shots during Space Jump II
2 shots during Save the Enterprise I
So for the next mission, here Space jump III, the base value is:
300 000 (mission level III) + 15k x 3 (1 shot during SJ I & 2 shots during StE I) + 30k x 6 (6 shots during SJ II) = 525k
This works if you don't lose ball. I try to understand the decrease of the base value after lose a ball...

Does base value mean how much each shot is worth in that mission?

#69 8 years ago

So basically it rewards you for making more shots adding points to the next shots based on how many you have completed. ST builds each shot value based on how many shots you've already made and giving more value for upper level modes. It's very interesting. I'm no rules expert, I'm not sure if other games work this way or if this is unique.

#70 8 years ago

I don't know how the GAT shots work, but one time I had the glass off and was testing GAT Nero shots which is the standup targets. I didn't catch what they starting value was but it seemed to increase on each subsequent shot let's say +100k so that after 9-10 shots you were at 1M, 1.1M, 1.2M etc. per shot.

#76 8 years ago

I had been down on ST for a while, not playing it a lot. Had thoughts of trading for TWD or some other pin.

But now I'm getting more interested in the rules/scoring/strategy and whatnot.

#78 8 years ago

#81 8 years ago

I thought I'd like to add some contributions. The scores change depending on how many shots you have hit prior starting the GAT modes.

I spent around an hour with the glass off.

GAT shots count as a mode shot. So if you hit 2 shots then the third shot being the GAT it will award you a bronze medal.

Also, some of the GAT shots count as mode shots, so although the times is extended by another 20 seconds, it will end the mode after a certain number of shots. So in other words if you start GAT early you can hit more shots as GAT points before you max out.

I don't know if the GAT shots count as made shots to count as the base shots that add to the new mode. I did not look at the mode points at all. I was only looking at the GAT points.

Sometimes, and I don't know why, I will get slightly different points for my GAT shots.

I didn't do a full test on all the GAT shots so I'll just present what I did find.

-------------------------

Destroy the Drill GAT:

is the simplest one it's 75K per spin and adds 20 seconds. The spinners don't count anything towards completing the mode so you can hit away at the spinner (until the mode times out).

#82 8 years ago

Nero GAT

This is the mode I tested the most since the stand up targets are easier to hit than the ramps. So I have more data on this mode.

As we know making a GAT shot counts as a shot to complete the mode, so if you hit the GAT with the third it will give you bronze medal. If you hit with the 6th shot it will award you silver medal. It's important for several reasons. Once you get to a certain number of shots the GAT will end and your mode will end you just need to hit a mode start.

-Made on second shot adds 75K per shot.

1.015M
1.09M
1.165M
1.24M
1.315M
----- I don't understand what happens here but I've seen different values
1.84M or 1.96M

Maximum value 11.7 million

While the shots count towards completing the mode, and award you Bronze, Silver and Gold medals. It seems like more than the normal amount of shots to complete the mode.

I was not making any standard shots so I don't know if that effects the number of shots available as GAT standup shots or how those shots would effect the value of the stand up targets.

-Made on shot 3 (Gives you a bronze medal if you don't already have one). Note I played this on the third shot so I don't know what the points are if you make it on the 4th or 5th shot. Also adds 75K per shot.

1.18M
1.255M
1.33M
1.405M
1.48M
1.555M
1.63M
1.705M
-----have seen both 1.84M or 2.08M (don't know why exactly)

maximum value 13.6 million

-Made on shots 6 (gives silver if you don't have it already) I played this in the 6th shot.

1.99M
2.045M
2.12M
2.195M
2.27M

maximum value 10.6 million

I didn't test what happens if you hit it on a non medal shot, but likely it will start you at a higher point value and less total hits to get to maximum.

#83 8 years ago

My other notes are partial, not sure what shot I began the GAT on, but I believe that I started all the GAT early such as the second or third shot. Not 100% sure except where noted. I may not have gone to the last shots on these modes.

Klingon Battle: (alpha and beta ramps)

-second shot (each shot adds 75K)

-third shot
1.03M
1.105M

-6th shot
1.475M
1.550M
2.8M ( not sure what this is about but maybe the final shot is worth an extra million+)

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#84 8 years ago

Space Jump: (Vengeance shot)

I started this on the 2nd shot.

One shot only completes this 860K

I am sure if you wait until you are at 3,4,5,6,7,8th shot you will get a much higher point value.

--------------------------------------------------------

Save The Enterprise : (Warp Ramp)
to be determined

Prime Directive (top lanes)
to be determined

#85 8 years ago

Three in a row 'super spinner' is worth 110K per spin and that you can max out this award. After a certain number of spins (I don't know how many spins but it's probably more than 50 spins). Let's say it's 50 that would give you 5.5M points. After this point, the spinner becomes worth 2K or whatever base value it usually is.

Question: Does anything increase the base value of the spinners like the pop bumper level or something?

Question: How do you get a PF multiplier (I may have missed this part of the rules)

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

There seems to be an infinite amount of point strategy. I wonder if the programers (and there were a few) actually have a handle on the point scoring. Would love to hear from them considering a lot pf people are trying to figure this out...and it shoudnt have to be so complex.

it seems as if GAT points go up by 75K each successive shot. (except DTD GAT spinner which is always 75K) so it makes no difference when you start DTD, may as well start it as soon as possible.

I am not sure what value the GAT shots start at (might be different for each one), but it is determined by how many shots you complete before you hit the GAT shot so it seems as if it makes the most sense to wait until late in the mode like after the silver medal before you make the GAT since the shots there after start at or above 2M but you can't wait too long because once you hit 9 shots the mode ends (or the GAT shot becomes the final shot).

Also, seems like the GAT shots might not count towards the next mode total. But I can not understand that yet.

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

I'm sorry, what is GAT?

Each first level mode has a different Galactic Away Team shot.

Nero is the stand up targets for example, and the others are detailed in the above posts.

#99 8 years ago

Some people are reporting skipping of medals for some reason like it'll go straight to silver. Any idea why?

#105 8 years ago

What's the combo value, always 2x shot value?

#110 8 years ago
Quoted from deibert:

Does anyone know how GAT scoring is calculated? The machine I play just got the new code so I am just learning the value of playing the GAT mini-modes.
I was shocked to see the left orbit giving 1.5m+ when GAT was active for Save the Enterprise. This 1.5m+ seemed to increase every time the left orbit switch was hit. More valuable than jackpots. Combos from left orbit to warp ramp even more valuable

I made a post a few weeks back, Destroy the Drill GAT spinner doesn't change its 75k per spin.

The other shots, it depends when you hit the GAT shot. The earliest you ca make GAT is the second shot of the mode, the points related to the GAT shots will be low but increase with each additional hit.

See my posts #81 - 84

The data is incomplete, but seems like each additional shot adds 75k

#114 8 years ago

How do the second tier missions work?

There'll be mission color shots plus red or color changing shots? What counts towards completing the mission? Are the II or III tier missions on a timer?

#116 8 years ago

I think I've hit some regular color shots but didn't decrease the number of hits remaining. Don't think it's a switch problem. Might need to take the glass off to confirm.

Also how do you get medals in later tier is it still 3,6,9 shots?

3 weeks later
#121 8 years ago

Just bumping this up.

Was curious to hear what's the view of the Away Team missions. Are they worth playing or just some more than others.

On the one hand they give you more time and more chance to score gold medal and such but on the other hand they extend the time to beat the mode which makes it less likely (for some) that they'd complete a whole tier of missions since more time to lose a ball.

#127 8 years ago

going to watch that, thanks.

2 weeks later
#128 7 years ago

When I make it to KM which I'm now doing more often but only playing level 1 missions.

How is the mode color shot value awarded? What if I played level 2-3 on a mode would the shot value be much higher?

#130 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

I very rarely go past level 1 mainly because my main stragegy was just to get towards kobayashi maru multiball. After watching the vid above i attempted level 1-3 on Nero and I am supprised how well the dots look and how the modes play out!

I've been playing more, relatively speaking so I've gotten to KM 4-5 times now, but also just started to play three deep like Nero. Lots of fun in this pin. I had it next to SM for a while but sold SM for Tspp. But I like how ST you can play different modes or strategy moreso than some other pins.

I'm hoping the rules doc is still being worked on.

3 weeks later
#134 7 years ago

How do the standup targets next to ramps work. I know they're active for Nero GAT, but during regular play I noticed they light up and stay lit. Is there a significance of getting all the targets lit solid?

#137 7 years ago

Thanks and what does the black hole target do?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
10,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Boerne, TX
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lexington, SC
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winter Garden, FL
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-interest-in-a-stern-star-trek-rulesinfo-doc?tu=rai and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.