(Topic ID: 148260)

How much interest in a Stern STAR TREK rules/info doc?

By Tuna_Delight

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 161 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ectobar
  • Topic is favorited by 39 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you like to see a comprehensive rules/info/strategy doc created for Stern ST?”

• Yes - I would LOVE to see this happen! 155 votes
    91%
  • Meh - it would be good for the game/hobby, but not really necessary given the info already available. 10 votes
    6%
  • No - I have no interest in this whatsoever. 5 votes
    3%

(170 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture_d’écran_2016-01-29_à_16.22.07_(resized).png
Do_it_(resized).jpg

There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 6 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I just tried this with the glass off. It took me 9 shots to get gold. Are you sure you don't have a malfunctioning switch or something? Or perhaps you started GAT?

Definetly didn't hit GAT

I'm pretty sure I didn't hit 9 shots for gold because 7 shots are lit to start. Need to shoot 4 shots to get all 7 shot to the light. I know I didn't shoot enough shots to re light the pf 2x

#102 6 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I just tried this with the glass off. It took me 9 shots to get gold. Are you sure you don't have a malfunctioning switch or something? Or perhaps you started GAT?

You are correct. I was mistaken on how many shots you need to re light all the shots. I thought it was 4. But it's actually 5.

Because of this thread. I changed up on style of play.

I use my Klingon multi ball on PD2 because of that must hit warp ramp. With ball save on. I let the balls drain and try to nail the warp ramp.

Does anyone know or have a good idea how the game determines the shot sequence for SJ 1,Nero 1, STE 1. Is it pure random or variables. I normally finish KB 3 before I start Nero 1. But sometimes. I might do Nero 1 if kb3 the first shot is the warp ramp

I notice some games in nero1. Sometimes the game won't re light shots unless I make all the shots. Then sometimes it will re light quickly.

STE 1. Sometimes I get the alpha ramp lot repeatly. Sometimes it's the right side shots.

SJ 1. It's really slow the shots light up after making a shot.

#103 6 years ago

I'm new to this thread so apologies if I'm covering old ground! I understand Tuna_Delight is making a rulesheet for Star Trek, really looking forward to seeing this! I've had my Star Trek Pro for one week now and trying to get my head round the rules, as others are saying I would love to see a complete rulesheet. Any news on when this might be ready?

#104 6 years ago

Nothing imminent as it is a slow going process due to the CRAPLOAD of existing potential info to go thru and life keeps getting in the way. I actually need to jump back on my Mustang doc to wrap up the final iteration too. The good news is that I have a framework to compile info within and there appears to be some really good new rules research going on by others in the meantime.

Oh - also no success in getting any code insights from Stern so (time consuming) glass off research is even more critical.

#105 6 years ago

What's the combo value, always 2x shot value?

#106 6 years ago
Quoted from Guitoone:

I have made a video to see the scoring in game. if you want to see it : » YouTube video
It may be more clear in that way? :
The starting value of a mission is:
For Level 1 mission: 100 000 + Previous Shots value.
For Level 2 mission: 200 000 + Previous Shots value.
For Level 3 mission: 300 000 + Previous Shots value.
Previous Shots value=
15 000 x Number of shot level 1 from your last ball lost +
5 000 x Number of shot level 1 before your last ball lost +
30 000 x Number of shot level 2 from your last ball lost +
10 000 x Number of shot level 2 before your last ball lost +
45 000 x Number of shot level 3 from your last ball lost +
15 000 x Number of shot level 3 before your last ball lost +
Each shot on a Mission Level 1 increase by 45 000 pts.
Each shot on a Mission Level 2 increase by 60 000 pts.
Each shot on a Mission Level 3 increase by 75 000 pts.
You can double score for combo shots (or dual color on missions lvl.2 or 3),
or even quadruple score for a combo on a dual color shots during a mission lvl.2 or 3.
Every 3 shots on missions level 1 you win a medal. And every 2 or 3 shots on a dual color shot during missions level 2 or 3.
Bronze medal score 250 000 (+ 125 000 for any other one)
Sylver medal score 450 000 (+ 175 000…)
Gold medal score 1 000 000 (+ 275 000…)
You can use combo on the medals scores.
Need to understand now, how works the away team and the different multiballs...

Very interesting. I always wondered about the scoring. I thought for a while it was completely random.

This does change my strategy when playing for score. It seems more advantageous to play "easier" missions (even those in level 2) to build value of additional missions.

I really like how the rules were designed to encourage play and to not time out modes.

I do wish there was more encouragement to combo shots (other than 2x score). Perhaps combos are counted as part of bonus or increase base value of multi-ball jackpots?

#107 6 years ago

Does anyone know how GAT scoring is calculated? The machine I play just got the new code so I am just learning the value of playing the GAT mini-modes.

I was shocked to see the left orbit giving 1.5m+ when GAT was active for Save the Enterprise. This 1.5m+ seemed to increase every time the left orbit switch was hit. More valuable than jackpots. Combos from left orbit to warp ramp even more valuable

#108 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

What's the combo value, always 2x shot value?

A combo should double the value of any major shot (2x what it should have been) in both modes and mutli-ball. I know it doubles the Vegence Multiple final shot from 5m to 10m. I also know it doubles the super ramps value.

I do wish there was more encouragement to combo shots (other than 2x score). Perhaps combos are counted as part of bonus or increase base value of multi-ball jackpots in future code.

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from deibert:

I do wish there was more encouragement to combo shots (other than 2x score). Perhaps combos are counted as part of bonus or increase base value of multi-ball jackpots?

I think this is ST's real downfall.

It's wants to be a combo's are important game so bad, but it's really not. The points are all in getting far in the game.

#110 6 years ago
Quoted from deibert:

Does anyone know how GAT scoring is calculated? The machine I play just got the new code so I am just learning the value of playing the GAT mini-modes.
I was shocked to see the left orbit giving 1.5m+ when GAT was active for Save the Enterprise. This 1.5m+ seemed to increase every time the left orbit switch was hit. More valuable than jackpots. Combos from left orbit to warp ramp even more valuable

I made a post a few weeks back, Destroy the Drill GAT spinner doesn't change its 75k per spin.

The other shots, it depends when you hit the GAT shot. The earliest you ca make GAT is the second shot of the mode, the points related to the GAT shots will be low but increase with each additional hit.

See my posts #81 - 84

The data is incomplete, but seems like each additional shot adds 75k

#111 6 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

I think this is ST's real downfall.
It's wants to be a combo's are important game so bad, but it's really not. The points are all in getting far in the game.

This is true. What do u think. Every mission. Every shot should be worth the same points throughout the game?

#112 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballophobe:

This is true. What do u think. Every mission. Every shot should be worth the same points throughout the game?

Not at all.

More it would just be cool if there were some big points strategy that wasn't just get to the wizard modes.

I'm well aware there are some big points strategies, such as completing all 3 DtD's and Nero's and then starting StE's GAT mode. But that's a lot of setup, and in the end it's still not all that valuable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of the game, but it's not without it's flaws, and unfortunately I doubt we'll see code changes that are that drastic.

All of my highest scoring games a generally the result of making it too EA and in my best game I had double scoring going into both KM and EA, which equated to bonkers points. And knowing that, and where my comment above came from is that to make it to EA, I have to harness my inner Spock and slow the game way down. Which means basically not trying to make any combos, and mostly ignoring the warp ramp.

Wishfull dreaming is all.

There have been lots of good ideas presented in this thread and several others, but odds are they aren't happening and that's a shame.

If they do nothing else, I'd like to see the warp ramp points boosted up a bit. Most dangerous and fun shot in the game. I'd be cool if there was a Warp Ramp all day strategy, because that would still be lots of fun.

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from Guitoone:

I’m not fluent in english so i’m quite afraid to make some grammar mistake. That’s why i’m a bit shy on the forum.

Congratulations! You write English better than half the United States!

Don't hesitate to post more! You'll get better that way!

#114 6 years ago

How do the second tier missions work?

There'll be mission color shots plus red or color changing shots? What counts towards completing the mission? Are the II or III tier missions on a timer?

#115 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

How do the second tier missions work?
There'll be mission color shots plus red or color changing shots? What counts towards completing the mission? Are the II or III tier missions on a timer?

Red shots worth more. Still only count as 1 shot for the mode. There are timers, but you must complete the modes by hitting x shots. Your progress towards x is saved if your timer runs out.

#116 6 years ago

I think I've hit some regular color shots but didn't decrease the number of hits remaining. Don't think it's a switch problem. Might need to take the glass off to confirm.

Also how do you get medals in later tier is it still 3,6,9 shots?

#117 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I think I've hit some regular color shots but didn't decrease the number of hits remaining. Don't think it's a switch problem. Might need to take the glass off to confirm.
Also how do you get medals in later tier is it still 3,6,9 shots?

Not exactly sure, but it can't be. Shots needed for completion varies, but I'm sure one of the modes only needs 8 shots to complete. Maybe that is where the timer comes in.

#118 6 years ago

Thanks for all the contributors, great info here.

#119 6 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Not exactly sure, but it can't be. Shots needed for completion varies, but I'm sure one of the modes only needs 8 shots to complete. Maybe that is where the timer comes in.

That would be Klingon Battle II. You only need 8 shots, but I believe they have to be the color-changing shots.

#120 6 years ago
Quoted from Guitoone:

Hi Guys,
Here is how I see the scoring on Star Trek.
The base value of a mission is:
For Level 1 mission: 100 000 + 15 000 x (Number of shot level 1) + 30 000 x (Number of Shot level 2) + 45 000 x (Number of shot level 3)
For Level 2 mission: 200 000 + 15 000 x (Number of shot level 1) + 30 000 x (Number of Shot level 2) + 45 000 x (Number of shot level 3)
For Level 3 mission: 300 000 + 15 000 x (Number of shot level 1) + 30 000 x (Number of Shot level 2) + 45 000 x (Number of shot level 3)
Each shot on a Mission Level 1 increase by 45 000 pts.
Each shot on a Mission Level 2 increase by 60 000 pts.
Each shot on a Mission Level 3 increase by 75 000 pts.
You can double score for combo shots (or dual color on missions lvl.2 or 3), or even quadruple score for a combo on a dual color shots during a mission lvl.2 or 3.
Every 3 shots on missions level 1 you win a medal. And every 2 or 3 shots on a dual color shot during missions level 2 or 3.
Bronze medal score 250 000 (+ 125 000 for any other one)
Sylver medal score 450 000 (+ 175 000…)
Gold medal score 1 000 000 (+ 275 000…)
You can use combo on the medals scores.
Every 6 missions of a level done, before each mini wizard mode, you got a bonus for your medals:
On level 1:
Bronze medals score 1 000 000 each (10 000 000 for a set of 6)
Silver medals score 1 500 000 each (15 000 000 for a set of 6)
Gold medals score 2 500 000 each (25 000 000 for a set of 6)
It increase for level 2 and 3, of course…
do you see something wrong here?

Wow!

2 weeks later
#121 6 years ago

Just bumping this up.

Was curious to hear what's the view of the Away Team missions. Are they worth playing or just some more than others.

On the one hand they give you more time and more chance to score gold medal and such but on the other hand they extend the time to beat the mode which makes it less likely (for some) that they'd complete a whole tier of missions since more time to lose a ball.

#122 6 years ago

Space Jump away team is not really worth it since it is just one shot. Klingon Battle is left and right ramps which can be hard at least for me. I like all the others. Prime Dir. is the top lanes - easy and fun. DtD uses the warp ramp. Difficult but very great fun. Same for StE that uses spinner. Nero is pretty good but dangerous hitting red targets

#123 6 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Space Jump away team is not really worth it since it is just one shot. Klingon Battle is left and right ramps which can be hard at least for me. I like all the others. Prime Dir. is the top lanes - easy and fun. DtD uses the warp ramp. Difficult but very great fun. Same for StE that uses spinner. Nero is pretty good but dangerous hitting red targets

Unless it is by accident, I never play Nero Away Team without a multiball.

#124 6 years ago

I think it really depends upon the circumstances. Sometimes I do the away teams to extend the time and try to get gold. Sometimes I do them because I have multiball lined up and want to score some serious points with Nero or PD away teams. If neither of those apply, I usually don't do the away teams unless there is some other compelling reason.

#125 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Just bumping this up.
Was curious to hear what's the view of the Away Team missions. Are they worth playing or just some more than others.
On the one hand they give you more time and more chance to score gold medal and such but on the other hand they extend the time to beat the mode which makes it less likely (for some) that they'd complete a whole tier of missions since more time to lose a ball.

The GAT missions = HUGE points. Especially the Prime Directive and Save the Enterprise.

PD lights both orbit shots and top lanes. Left and right orbits always ends in lanes due to gate. I've had 20M plus totals for this mission
STE lights left orbit and warp ramp. I've seen values over 1.25M for these shots. Combo for even more.

I also like Destroy the Drill.

DTD lights a spinner for 75K per spin AND the left scoop and left orbit are the only shots lit for the rest of the mission.

See Zack Sharpe play some of the GAT missions here:

#126 6 years ago

Thanks for all the info so far! ST is the only pin in my area that is still in playable condition.

#127 6 years ago

going to watch that, thanks.

2 weeks later
#128 6 years ago

When I make it to KM which I'm now doing more often but only playing level 1 missions.

How is the mode color shot value awarded? What if I played level 2-3 on a mode would the shot value be much higher?

#129 6 years ago

I very rarely go past level 1 mainly because my main stragegy was just to get towards kobayashi maru multiball. After watching the vid above i attempted level 1-3 on Nero and I am supprised how well the dots look and how the modes play out!

#130 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

I very rarely go past level 1 mainly because my main stragegy was just to get towards kobayashi maru multiball. After watching the vid above i attempted level 1-3 on Nero and I am supprised how well the dots look and how the modes play out!

I've been playing more, relatively speaking so I've gotten to KM 4-5 times now, but also just started to play three deep like Nero. Lots of fun in this pin. I had it next to SM for a while but sold SM for Tspp. But I like how ST you can play different modes or strategy moreso than some other pins.

I'm hoping the rules doc is still being worked on.

#131 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

I very rarely go past level 1 mainly because my main strategy was just to get towards kobayashi maru multiball. After watching the vid above i attempted level 1-3 on Nero and I am surprised how well the dots look and how the modes play out!

I'd recommend "drilling down" into the Level 2 and 3 modes. They are fun and have some cool animations/call-outs. They also add to your medal count which can make getting to Maru more valuable. Some are very easy to finish (such as the Level 2 Red mode) while others (STE level 2) have more difficutl "required" shots.

I usually go for Maru and maxing out Level 1 and Galactic Away team modes when playing on location and going for score and replays, but if (when?) I owned this in the home environment I'd definitely play more Level 2 and 3 modes.

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Nothing imminent as it is a slow going process due to the CRAPLOAD of existing potential info to go thru and life keeps getting in the way. I actually need to jump back on my Mustang doc to wrap up the final iteration too. The good news is that I have a framework to compile info within and there appears to be some really good new rules research going on by others in the meantime.
Oh - also no success in getting any code insights from Stern so (time consuming) glass off research is even more critical.

Hi Tuna_Delight, I was just interested to see if this is something you were still planning on working on, having seen your strategy doc for Mustang i'm more than a bit excited to see one for Star Trek! Nice work. Cheers

#133 6 years ago
Quoted from Bruce:

Hi Tuna_Delight, I was just interested to see if this is something you were still planning on working on, having seen your strategy doc for Mustang i'm more than a bit excited to see one for Star Trek! Nice work. Cheers

Thanks Bruce. I'd still like to, but unanticipated work and other issues have kept me from having the time available that I anticipated I'd have and that doesn't look to change for a while yet. Still hoping to complete my final Mustang doc version too.

2 weeks later
#134 6 years ago

How do the standup targets next to ramps work. I know they're active for Nero GAT, but during regular play I noticed they light up and stay lit. Is there a significance of getting all the targets lit solid?

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

How do the standup targets next to ramps work. I know they're active for Nero GAT, but during regular play I noticed they light up and stay lit. Is there a significance of getting all the targets lit solid?

Complete them to light the black hole target

#136 6 years ago

The red matter targets are tied in with the black hole stand up target. I think lighting all the red matter targets lights black hole, or something like that.

#137 6 years ago

Thanks and what does the black hole target do?

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

Do it... Do it...

Do_it_(resized).jpg

What movie is this from?

#139 6 years ago

Black Hole gives a reward that varies, which one you get partly depends on what mode you have running at the time. It will generally add a ball during multiball, add time during the level one missions. It can also just give points, or increase the value of the pops. I think it will light special on rare occasions as well.

#140 6 years ago

All of that and occasionally light extra ball

3 weeks later
#141 6 years ago
Quoted from T7:

What movie is this from?

Starsky and Hutch reboot!

2 weeks later
#142 6 years ago

K I just had the best game ever

1.7B finished all missions

KB - shoot vengence center shot to start it
EA - shoot the mission to start it

5YM - how do you start this? I was shooting the ball every where and couldn't start it. There was no obvious lit shot for me.

Anyone know?

#143 6 years ago

You start all 3 Wizard modes by shooting the vengeance. The droptarget is going down when you finish the last Mode of the tier. Shooting behind starts the Wizard Mode. This is the only lit Shot at this moment.

#144 6 years ago
Quoted from sto:

You start all 3 Wizard modes by shooting the vengeance. The droptarget is going down when you finish the last Mode of the tier. Shooting behind starts the Wizard Mode. This is the only lit Shot at this moment.

Have you started 5YM on the latest code?

#145 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Have you started 5YM on the latest code?

Yes, three times, but wasn't able to finish it

#146 6 years ago

Is someone still working on the comprehensive rule sheet for the game? I could use it...

#147 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Is someone still working on the comprehensive rule sheet for the game? I could use it...

I would enjoy this as well

#148 6 years ago
Quoted from sto:

Interesting

I know for sure KM I shoot the vengence to start

I have only made it to EA once. But I was fairly certain I made the under the right upper flipper shot to start it because i collected the medals bonus. But I could be mistaken. It was a 2 ball multi ball. I am suppose to shoot the flashing targets. starts out flashing blue. Make a shot then that target stays solid blue. Somehow I did something that changed everything to flashing white targets. But I drained 1 ball and the mode was over.

The FYM. I was certain I shot the center vengence but I could be wrong. I know for sure there was nothing flashing to identify the vengence shot. I basically had 2 balls to shoot around with and I couldn't start it. I had the captains chair flashing with 110 hits in the pops. I finished that because I started Klingon multiball.

Hmm. If I ever get that far again. I LL shoot the center ASAP

Thanks

#149 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I for one am not at this time - sorry. The time I anticipated to be available for this compilation/research effort has not materialized due to changing demands with my job.

The good news is that this thread has spawned lots of new rules info AND ...

I'm assuming that Stern's Star Trek video version, to be released as part of the new Stern Pinball Arcade product through Farsight, will include a rules set as past games have.

#150 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballophobe:

Interesting
I know for sure KM I shoot the vengence to start
I have only made it to EA once. But I was fairly certain I made the under the right upper flipper shot to start it because i collected the medals bonus. But I could be mistaken. It was a 2 ball multi ball. I am suppose to shoot the flashing targets. starts out flashing blue. Make a shot then that target stays solid blue. Somehow I did something that changed everything to flashing white targets. But I drained 1 ball and the mode was over.
The FYM. I was certain I shot the center vengence but I could be wrong. I know for sure there was nothing flashing to identify the vengence shot. I basically had 2 balls to shoot around with and I couldn't start it. I had the captains chair flashing with 110 hits in the pops. I finished that because I started Klingon multiball.
Hmm. If I ever get that far again. I LL shoot the center ASAP
Thanks

yes you started ea. Still dont think you did this by shooting under the right flipper, but to be honest, i never tried this...
If 5ym is ready, the machine will show you this very clear. The vengeance shot is lit very aggressiv. Only thing that i can imagine where you have 2 balls in play and nothing is lit(except an error), maybe you were in vengeance Multiball after defeating the vengeance.
Keep on trying and have fun with this great game

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Islip, NY
$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 59.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!