(Topic ID: 148260)

How much interest in a Stern STAR TREK rules/info doc?

By Tuna_Delight

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 161 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ectobar
  • Topic is favorited by 39 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you like to see a comprehensive rules/info/strategy doc created for Stern ST?”

• Yes - I would LOVE to see this happen! 157 votes
    91%
  • Meh - it would be good for the game/hobby, but not really necessary given the info already available. 10 votes
    6%
  • No - I have no interest in this whatsoever. 5 votes
    3%

(172 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture_d’écran_2016-01-29_à_16.22.07_(resized).png
Do_it_(resized).jpg
There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 8 years ago

As a fan and an owner of a Stern STAR TREK, I'm considering compiling a rules/info/strategy doc for it similar to this one that I've put together for MUSTANG:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7bI7gUksbVgeW8yT1BsZ3R5cW8/view?usp=sharing

I'm aware of the ST WIKI Rulesheet currently on Tilt Forums, the various ST informational threads that are already on Pinside, Stern’s code update README file, and the numerous ST gameplay videos available on YouTube. I'm proposing to consolidate the applicable info from these, and fill in any voids as much as possible, in order to create a single comprehensive ST reference gameplay document.

Given how much work is involved though, I'd like to get a feel for the level of interest among Pinsiders before I decide on moving ahead with this. ALSO, I don't want to duplicate any effort(s) that may currently be in progress.

So ...

How interested would you be in seeing this happen? (please respond to the poll)

Are you aware of anyone else already working on a similar document for ST?

Anyone have any direct code/rules information connections with Stern?

Suggestions/comments?

Thanks.

#2 8 years ago

I know Esabee is working on it, but two heads are better than one.

Please, I need a rule sheet, I really enjoy playing games after I read the rules. Currently I don't play ST as much because I'm wanting to read the rules first.

#3 8 years ago

I would love to see this put together.

#4 8 years ago

Mark me a VERY interested

#5 8 years ago

Yes, please! Happy New Year!

#6 8 years ago

Sounds fantastic! As a future Star Trek owner, color me very interested.

#7 8 years ago

Cant wait, please do!

#8 8 years ago

Yes, Wow your Mustang summary is awesome. Star Trek is my favorite pin and I'm not even scratching the surface of how cool it is.

#9 8 years ago

Do you really have to ask? YES! Bring it on!

#10 8 years ago

Do it... Do it...

Do_it_(resized).jpgDo_it_(resized).jpg

#11 8 years ago

I would be interested, especially if there was information on point awards for the different modes and shots. I think I have all the rules of the modes down, but I still haven't quite figured out how they calculate points.

#12 8 years ago

I'd love to see this. Go for it!

#13 8 years ago

Yes I'd be interested!

#14 8 years ago

I'm very interested also. I look forward to reading it. I would be willing to help if I could.

#15 8 years ago

I'd be happy to contribute as well.

#16 8 years ago

Interested here...

#17 8 years ago

I would be interested as well

#18 8 years ago

Also interested. Can't wait to see it.

#19 8 years ago

I would love to see this - it would be very much appreciated!

#20 8 years ago

Agreed!

#22 8 years ago

Yes, please do!

#23 8 years ago

YES,

#24 8 years ago

Wow, that would great, it would be a lot of work. Maybe SKB could give you the foundation.

#25 8 years ago

Yes, thanks!

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I would be interested, especially if there was information on point awards for the different modes and shots. I think I have all the rules of the modes down, but I still haven't quite figured out how they calculate points.

Me, too. Scoring seems to be full of variables. I think that would be tough to figure out without talking to programmers.

#27 8 years ago

Myself,as well! Can't figure out how to go from level 2 to level 3 on missions?How does it end??Rules PLEASE!!!

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I'm just guessing here

But isn't the starting value of a game for a lit shot 100,000pt and then each lit shot you make it goes up 35,000pt or 65,000pt or something like that?

However if you start the away mission. The lit shot is locked at whatever your lit shot value is multiplied by the away mission value.

That's my guess.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballophobe:

I'm just guessing here
But isn't the starting value of a game for a lit shot 100,000pt and then each lit shot you make it goes up 35,000pt or 65,000pt or something like that?
However if you start the away mission. The lit shot is locked at whatever your lit shot value is multiplied by the away mission value.
That's my guess.

That's a good theory. Should be easy to verify with the glass off if I get time later this week.

#30 8 years ago

Thanks to all who have responded to the poll and/or provided comments. It's great to see that so many Pinsiders are in agreement that Star Trek is overdue for a single reference source rules/info/strategy doc! Barring any surprises, this will be a go right after I've completed some final in-progress refinements on my Mustang doc. I've been in contact with Eskaybee and he has graciously offered to provide me with the ST rules info that he started to put together. As soon as I have a suitable initial draft ready, I'll post it on Pinside for review and input.

Quoted from Nokoro:

Nokoro raises a good point and this is an element that I'm hoping to cover as comprehensively as possible in the document. It can be very challenging to try and figure out all of the various code intricacies from just playing the game with the glass off though. I recently reached out to Stern directly and requested their help in overcoming this challenge on the Mustang rules set and hopefully, this approach will bear fruit for both it and a future ST rules set as well.
Stay tuned.

Added over 8 years ago: Effort ON HOLD due to anticipated available time not materializing.

#31 8 years ago

I am absolutely interested. Thanks

#32 8 years ago

Is it done yet?

#33 8 years ago

thanks for doing this..

here is a nice AcDc rule sheet. I printed it out and it was something like 18 pages. Might be worth looking at, there is also a very comprehensive Tspp rules from a while back. Still looking for a good Metallica rule sheet. http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/4761-For-Those-About-to-Rock-AC-DC-Premium-LE-v1-65-Ruleset

But I learned a super ton of info I'd have never known otherwise.

I had suggested to Eskabee that it'd be nice for one brief maybe 2-3 page overview of the basic rules and then a more comprehensive rule sheet maybe with points (if possible).

anyway thanks again to both of you guys.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I'm hoping to cover as comprehensively as possible in the document. It can be very challenging to try and figure out all of the various code intricacies from just playing the game with the glass off though.

Yes I would be interested . Thank you for working on a rule sheet . Happy New Year !

#35 8 years ago

Are there going to be more code updates? This is a big job, you don't want to go to all that effort only to have them move the goalposts with new code.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Are there going to be more code updates? This is a big job, you don't want to go to all that effort only to have them move the goalposts with new code.

Heaven knows!

With the 3rd Star Trek film on it's way for 22nd July 2016, and i read somewhere on Pinside that Stern will be making more Premiums 'next year'; one can only hope they will pay the game some last respect and really squeeze out more of that untapped potential in the lighting effects and rules. Just a shame it might be another 5-6 months before we get to sample it...

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Heaven knows!
With the 3rd Star Trek film on it's way for 22nd July 2016, and i read somewhere on Pinside that Stern will be making more Premiums 'next year'; one can only hope they will pay the game some last respect and really squeeze out more of that untapped potential in the lighting effects and rules. Just a shame it might be another 5-6 months before we get to sample it...

If anything I'd like to see some side missions like the timed modes SM has like Rescue MJ or Bonesaw modes, just side missions/modes that bring in some variation from time to time.

#38 8 years ago

Yes, please. Already a great game but I feel as if my approach to the game is haphazard at best.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballophobe:

I'm just guessing here
That's my guess.

I just tested this quickly with the glass off on two missions. Here are the scores I got:

NERO:

1st shot -- 100K (I believe)
2nd shot -- 145K
3rd shot -- 190K
Started away team
4th shot (red matter targets now) -- 1,180,000
5th shot -- 1,255,000
6th shot -- 1,330,000
7th shot -- 1,405,000

So the first shots were going up in value by 45K. Once I started away team, somehow the base value became 1.180M (not sure how -- it is not easily divisible by either 190K or 235K) and the shots increased by 75K.

DTD

1st shot -- 120K
2nd shot -- 165K
Started away team
3rd shot (left kickout) -- 855K
4th shot -- 930K
5th shot -- 1,005,000

So the away team shots are still increasing by 75K each time.

I didn't have time to play around with this enough. I'm guessing that the base away team shot is dependent upon how many prior regular mission shots you get -- I've heard this, and it has been my theory for a while now. The value of those regular shots appears to increase by 45K each time, with perhaps different starting values depending on the mission (??). The value of the away team shots appears to increase by 75K each time.

This will take a lot of additional work to verify. For instance, what if I did the same thing only starting with DTD and then doing Nero? What if I kept going through the missions? I need more time. Also, it is kind of a pain because as I write down the shot values, I take too much time, and the pin keeps going into ball search mode.

#40 8 years ago

I'm very much looking forward to this! No pressure! lol. But seriously, thanks for your time and effort.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I just tested this quickly with the glass off on two missions. Here are the scores I got:
NERO:
2nd shot -- 145K
3rd shot -- 190K
Started away team
5th shot -- 1,255,000
6th shot -- 1,330,000
7th shot -- 1,405,000
So the first shots were going up in value by 45K. Once I started away team, somehow the base value became 1.180M (not sure how -- it is not easily divisible by either 190K or 235K) and the shots increased by 75K.
DTD
1st shot -- 120K
2nd shot -- 165K
Started away team
4th shot -- 930K
5th shot -- 1,005,000
I didn't have time to play around with this enough. I'm guessing that the base away team shot is dependent upon how many prior regular mission shots you get -- I've heard this, and it has been my theory for a while now. The value of those regular shots appears to increase by 45K each time, with perhaps different starting values depending on the mission (??). The value of the away team shots appears to increase by 75K each time.
This will take a lot of additional work to verify. For instance, what if I did the same thing only starting with DTD and then doing Nero? What if I kept going through the missions? I need more time. Also, it is kind of a pain because as I write down the shot values, I take too much time, and the pin keeps going into ball search mode.

I know if your 1st mission is KB or SJ

The starting value is 100k and increases by 45k

I think the factors that determine the starting value is. How many missions completed in total while accounting for thier tiers, how many shots are availible. Ex. I think STE would have a higher starting vs KB or SJ because STE only has 3 shots and never more than that while KB1 has 6 shots to start than 5 after. SJ starts at 2 then increases if you can't make the shot

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

NERO:
2nd shot -- 145K
3rd shot -- 190K
Started away team
5th shot -- 1,255,000
6th shot -- 1,330,000
7th shot -- 1,405,000
DTD
1st shot -- 120K
2nd shot -- 165K
Started away team
4th shot -- 930K
5th shot -- 1,005,000

Thanks,

Is there any way to record the display and write/calculate the score later?

Seems more efficient that way.

#43 8 years ago

I'm pretty sure the away team shot values depend on how many shots you completed in the regular mode. That or time. In a mode like STE, I have seen a huge difference in points. I remember being shocked seeing something like 40m score with only getting a few warp shots. Other times, I feel like I should have a huge score from hitting a bunch of warps but only have like 20m.

One thing I am curious about is scoring bonuses in modes. In Nero2, you get a bonus for hitting the left, middle, and right shot within a certain time period. If you get all the flashing shots, it can be a pretty big bonus. Hard to notice them unless you look up at the display at the right time. Curious if there are other modes with bonuses like that.

The other scoring thing I am curious about is the shot values in Kob. Maru. They used to be related to how well you did in the modes but not sure if that is still the case. I rarely complete Kob Maru but often get a ton of points from it.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Thanks,
Is there any way to record the display and write/calculate the score later?
Seems more efficient that way.

That would certainly be more efficient, but it all takes time. Perhaps this weekend if I feel motivated. I have a feeling I could spend hours doing this and still not figure out the algorithms.

#45 8 years ago

I've been playing more STLE, I've played it less than any pin in my collection.

I was playing more AcDc and Met after reading the rules and I'd concentrate on one aspect of the rules at a time. Kind of getting familiar with each area in isolation before putting it all together.

1 week later
#46 8 years ago

Hi Guys,

Here is how I see the scoring on Star Trek.

The base value of a mission is:
For Level 1 mission: 100 000 + 15 000 x (Number of shot level 1) + 30 000 x (Number of Shot level 2) + 45 000 x (Number of shot level 3)
For Level 2 mission: 200 000 + 15 000 x (Number of shot level 1) + 30 000 x (Number of Shot level 2) + 45 000 x (Number of shot level 3)
For Level 3 mission: 300 000 + 15 000 x (Number of shot level 1) + 30 000 x (Number of Shot level 2) + 45 000 x (Number of shot level 3)

Each shot on a Mission Level 1 increase by 45 000 pts.
Each shot on a Mission Level 2 increase by 60 000 pts.
Each shot on a Mission Level 3 increase by 75 000 pts.

You can double score for combo shots (or dual color on missions lvl.2 or 3), or even quadruple score for a combo on a dual color shots during a mission lvl.2 or 3.

Every 3 shots on missions level 1 you win a medal. And every 2 or 3 shots on a dual color shot during missions level 2 or 3.
Bronze medal score 250 000 (+ 125 000 for any other one)
Sylver medal score 450 000 (+ 175 000…)
Gold medal score 1 000 000 (+ 275 000…)
You can use combo on the medals scores.

Every 6 missions of a level done, before each mini wizard mode, you got a bonus for your medals:
On level 1:
Bronze medals score 1 000 000 each (10 000 000 for a set of 6)
Silver medals score 1 500 000 each (15 000 000 for a set of 6)
Gold medals score 2 500 000 each (25 000 000 for a set of 6)
It increase for level 2 and 3, of course…

do you see something wrong here?

#47 8 years ago

Guitoone, It looks like you've only made 10 posts on pinside, so I guess it is quality over quantity for you. How in the world did you figure this out????

#48 8 years ago

I’m not fluent in english so i’m quite afraid to make some grammar mistake. That’s why i’m a bit shy on the forum.
I love read rules of pinball, quite like the mustang one. I really appreciate a pinball when i understand it. So i spent quite a lot of time filming my game and i analyse scoring on a excel tab. I make a few tries glass off to confirm some ideas too…
I think this is the main way of scoring during modes, sometimes there is some extra bonus in the mode total that i still don’t understand. But most of time it works.

#49 8 years ago

There is still a problem when you loose ball. I make my test with one ball. The base value reduce after losing a ball. Need to be determine...

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from Guitoone:

The base value of a mission is:
For Level 1 mission: 100 000 + 15 000 x (Number of shot level 1) + 30 000 x (Number of Shot level 2) + 45 000 x (Number of shot level 3)

Can you explain what you mean by number of shot level 2 and level 3?

I mean this is talking about level 1 mission, so I'm a bit confused.

Also does each shot add another +15K ( so first shot is +15K second shot +30K third shot +45K) or does it just count the number of shots n x 15K?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 24.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-interest-in-a-stern-star-trek-rulesinfo-doc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.