(Topic ID: 168855)

How much have you spent on pinball... Poll!

By paynemic

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by paynemic
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How much have you spent on pinball?”

• $0-$1000 10 votes
      3%
    • $1000-$5000 36 votes
      10%
    • $5000-$20,000 103 votes
      28%
    • $20,000-$50,000 113 votes
      31%
    • $50,000-$100,000 53 votes
      15%
    • More than $100,000 (?!!) 47 votes
      13%

(Multiple choice - 362 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

60710006 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

No really, how much? Don't put it in the comments, because I want real, anonymous answers. You can comment and poll separately so you can keep it private. Include trips you might have taken with pinball goals, buying, fixing, etc. Net out the sales prices (if you bought and sold for same price, net zero spent...). I'm just wondering and hoping for truthful answers. It's clearly an addiction for me, and I'm not sure I want my wife to know...

#2 2 years ago

I know this poll has been done at least once before, but it'll be interesting to see if it has differed in a year's time.

#3 2 years ago

All of my machines are stolen, so $0.

#4 2 years ago

If i buy a game sell it then buy another one do both purchases count? Or, are you asking what i think my collection is worth? Either way I'm not answering.

#5 2 years ago

I keep a spreadsheet of all my pinball machines currently residing in my collection and their "invested" value. Any sold machines are in a separate section with both invested and sold-for values. I voted in this poll using the invested value of my current collection.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

If i buy a game sell it then buy another one do both purchases count? Or, are you asking what i think my collection is worth? Either way I'm not answering.

I'm thinking he's asking just what you spent. IOW if you spent $800 on the pin and put $700 into it but it's worth $2500, your answer is $1500.

#7 2 years ago

buying games is well under 5000

but if you include all the quarters I spent it might be close to that 100,000+

#8 2 years ago

ONE MILLION DOLLARS

#9 2 years ago

Do people really keep track?

Sorry, but I have better things to do with my time.

#10 2 years ago

This is like asking about the mistress.
    I'll never tell.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Do people really keep track? Sorry, but I have better things to do with my time.

I call BULL$HIT on the better things part. ha. I'm just bustin' yer ballz.

#12 2 years ago

somewhwere between too much and not enough...

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I call BULL$HIT on the better things part. ha. I'm just bustin' yer ballz.

Yeah, and like I'm supposed to remember how much money I put in these machines in the 60s and 70s and beyond.

This whole question is stupid.

Let's ask "How much have you spent on hamburgers and fries in your life?" instead.

#14 2 years ago

Including parts spent on them for the past 20+ years?

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

This whole question is stupid.

99% of the content on here is. I only reactivated my account to pm someone about a game and foolishly posted on three threads now. Pinball forums are about as unpinball as it gets.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

99% of the content on here is.

I try to contribute 95.435% myself.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Sorry, but I have better things to do with my time.

Pinside?

#18 2 years ago

About this much
    image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#19 2 years ago

So if I never sold a single thing, then it would be over 100k...however since prices have gone for crazy money now, selling games that I had for years are paying for the new ones, so my overall cost is only a fraction of that

#20 2 years ago

Well, with pinside, at least I don't have to think.

#21 2 years ago

So, I definitely meant only a general estimate. But if you're holding pinball machines (playing or investing) I would count that as money spent. I'm talking grand total. Parts. Upgrades. Purchases. Not labor really. We all soak a lot into that.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from paynemic:

But if you're holding pinball machines (playing or investing)

If you are buying as an investment and more money has been put thru the coin door than you spent on the machine, does that give you a negative then? Do you count slugs that made it thru as a positive if they will work in a candy machine too?

Oh, why do I bother...

#23 2 years ago

60710006 (resized).jpg

#24 2 years ago

Bought 578 pins in the last twenty years. Kept what? 75 +/- of those. The 500 other pins all paid for all the keeper games a little over four years ago. Buying and selling parts at the shows paid for all the d├ęcor that's on the walls and ceiling. Basically everything in the basement cost me nothing in the end.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

#25 2 years ago

Way too much!!! Look at all the games I have owned

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm sure some of us have to. These things don't fill out the tax forms themselves!

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

I'm sure some of us have to. These things don't fill out the tax forms themselves!

Maybe some do. But I lost track after I dropped the first dime in one near 50 years ago.

#28 2 years ago

Maybe add this to the poll, when asked by non-pinhead friends and family, are you honest?

My wife knows, she's OK with it, knows I have an addiction and is a little concerned. Each addition is "the last one". But really, I'm almost done given crazy prices today. The addiction will cure itself with these prices.

But seriously, when I have people over, which isn't that often, I dread the inevitable question:

"So how much does one of these cost?"

I'm honest to them, and accept the laughs, looks of concern over my mental health, etc.

But going forward, I might just start lying...

To the friends, not the wife.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from mamawaldee:

"So how much does one of these cost?"

My answer is "too much, but it's fun (or can't take the money with you)" - something like that. Later, if someone really wants to know because they are interested in getting into owning a pinball machine I will give them a more accurate number - and tons of free advice.

#30 2 years ago

Love the answers. I wonder if in ten years, newer guys like me will be able to say similar things like "the pins have gone up in value so far that pins I've sold have paid for the keepers..." That would be astronomical increases from here. Interesting thought.

#31 2 years ago

I guess my answer depends on how you see things.

For example, traded a BSD and project JM for a NIB IMVE --> 250 plays later --> sold and bought a NIB TWD Pro ($4800) --> 200-300 plays later sold it and bought a NIB TWD Prem ($6200) --> Less than 200 plays later sold and bought AFM ($8200). So, did I spend $4800 + $6200 + $8200 = $19,200 ? No, I'd say more like $8200 = ($4800 for TWD Pro + $1400 difference for TWD Prem + $2000 difference for AFM).

Guess it depends on the perspective =/....

#32 2 years ago

About $12.83.

#33 2 years ago

I feel like I could have a pretty good collection for about $15,000.

#34 2 years ago

I keep pretty good track of what I spent. I don't insist on getting what I put in when I sell. I just like to know. I envy you guys who don't keep track. I'd rather not know I have a $2500 Pinbot.

#35 2 years ago

An addict once said, "One is too many and a hundred isn't enough".

Does the cost of my detached gameroom count?

#36 2 years ago

I don't care what I bought it for.

I don't care what I sold it for (which is rare that i sell but more is coming)

I basically don't give a F.

If you care instead of playing and having fun then you will be in for a BIG letdown.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

I guess my answer depends on how you see things.
    For example, traded a BSD and project JM for a NIB IMVE --> 250 plays later --> sold and bought a NIB TWD Pro ($4800) --> 200-300 plays later sold it and bought a NIB TWD Prem ($6200) --> Less than 200 plays later sold and bought AFM ($8200). So, did I spend $4800 + $6200 + $8200 = $19,200 ? No, I'd say more like $8200 = ($4800 for TWD Pro + $1400 difference for TWD Prem + $2000 difference for AFM).
    Guess it depends on the perspective =/....

You're like that kid who traded a paperclip for a porch.

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from Neuromancer87:

You're like that kid who traded a paperclip for a porch.

*slits eyes wondering how to take that* thaaaaaaaaannnnnnk you ?

#39 2 years ago

When people ask about quantities about any hobby (pins, guns, motorcycles) I say more than I need and not as many as I want.

#40 2 years ago

I didn't think I had a problem until you put a dollar on it

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

My father-in-law could tell you how much he paid for almost anything he bought in his entire life. He had a phenomenal memory. It was always amazing to listen to his accounting of purchases over the years. he had stories about things like his condo in florida that were really fun to listen too because of the detail. If he had been into pinball he could probably from memory have told you what he spend to within a hundred dollars. So just cause some people don't have a clue what they do, doesn't mean others can't come up with great estimates. Most of any estimate revolves around what you wish to include. This is great hobby. It's worth what you can spend.

#42 2 years ago

It is easy to remember how much you spend to buy each pinball machine. It is also easy to remember how much you sell them for especially if you sell them for more than you bought them for! Pinball prices in Australia are crazy at the moment.

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

I keep pretty good track of what I spent. I don't insist on getting what I put in when I sell. I just like to know. I envy you guys who don't keep track. I'd rather not know I have a $2500 Pinbot.

I also have a $2500 pinbot

#44 2 years ago

I dont keep track because I really dont want to know. It doesnt make any sense financially to put a $700 playfield in a silverball mania but I did it.
    My answer to the question would be more than they are worth.

#45 2 years ago

This question was asked less than 6 months ago. There are references all over this website.

Most would rather prefer not to share actual values for a reason.
    This is predominantly due to aspects such of parts, machines, projects, and the rest of the things that make this hobby was it is.
    It becomes an excuse to brag, no large collector advertises everything he owns.

Not to forget those that have owned businesses, worked as technicians, or prefer not to give opportunities to be targets for thieves.

Right now pinball machines are targets for break ins, not for the cash boxes, but the machines themselves.
    Most owners right do not have proper insurance, keep serial numbers, or even take photos of their games.
    Many do not think they can be "stolen", until it happens to them.

This was last prevalent around 2003-2005.

#46 2 years ago

I can't imagine how much I will spin once I win the damn Powerball!

#47 2 years ago

1 million dollars.

#48 2 years ago

I've wasted far more on women and new pins are a far better investment. Easier to maintain and they get better with age.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from Stretch7:

I didn't think I had a problem until you put a dollar on it

truth......

#50 2 years ago

It is only money and you cannot take it with you ...

so enjoy life and play pinball ..

I only now wished i would of spent it on pinballs instead of cars..lol

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 295.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    ...redshiftLED
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 239.00
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 229.99
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Other
    Funhouse Custom Lamp Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10,999.00
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside