New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 183422)

How much have you spend on pinball?

By rvdv

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 91 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Rarehero
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

50000-cash-300x199 (resized).jpg
    dark-knight-burning-money (resized).jpg
    ironman-costume-horrible (resized).jpg
    350 (resized).jpeg

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Don't ask, Don't tell.

I thought they changed that to Do ask, Do tell.

#52 3 years ago

Started with a $1400 Space Station.....

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

I could tell you exactly what I paid for each game, when I bought it, where I bought it , who I bought it from, condition (with pictures) and then who I sold it too, how much I sold it for, when I sold it and if there was a profit how much that was as well. It's all documented from the very first game. Believe it.

Very impressive.

I couldn't tell you how many nickels, dimes, or quarters I dropped in these machines, because it's been going on for near 50 years.

I suppose if I had kept a pencil and pad of paper in my pocket at all times it might have been easier, but I was more interested in playing the games than counting my pennies.

#55 3 years ago

I only spend about $50 a year on this hobby.

*looks over shoulder* *wife is still in the room*

Yep. Fifty dollars.

#56 3 years ago

My daughter says I've spent 8 semesters at Princeton on pinball machines.

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

My daughter says I've spent 8 semesters at Princeton on pinball machines.

She should think herself lucky, that's one hell of a Pinball education you have given her, couldn't get that kind of quality education in 8 years anywhere else

#58 3 years ago

Paid plenty, but have enjoyed every minute of it. No regrets.

#59 3 years ago

9k for my collection

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Funny, I'm the same way. Like yourself I've bought and sold way more then I have. And can still remember what I paid for each game and where I bought it. But couldn't tell you what I ate for breakfast yesterday.

Yup same thing here, but that's why I started writing everything down after like game five because I knew that I'd never remember a year later.

John

#61 3 years ago

like two corvettes or so. Rather have the games so im good.

#62 3 years ago

Purchasing my pins was the inexpensive part, but I only have 2. I have spent way more on new parts, mods, and boards than the purchase price. Then there are the shows and arcades which add up to even more. Gas, hotels, entrance fees. But any hobby can be expensive. As long as you enjoy it

#63 3 years ago

Due to the rising cost of the hobby, regrettably..... I've had to do some cost cutting on other hobbies.....

ironman-costume-horrible (resized).jpg

#64 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Yup same thing here, but that's why I started writing everything down after like game five because I knew that I'd never remember a year later.
    John

My wife and I could be out driving in the middle of nowhere, 100 miles from our home. All of the sudden I would shout out "Hey I know where we are. I bought a High speed from that house for $300 with a bad flipper 16 years ago" She'd just looks at me and asked when our anniversary is and I'm a complete blank. No F-ing clue?????

#65 3 years ago

Probably 25-30 grand over my lifetime if counting the money dropped in pins on route and going to shows , etc.
    I would get a pretty hefty portion , if not all, of that back if I sold off my collection and mods. Best bang for the buck of any hobby I've ever had. Overall, worth every cent I ever paid. Countless hours of fun for me and others that have played them.

#66 3 years ago

Last year/so far this year just under 30k, after loosing my entire collection 5 years ago, last year and this year will be the continuation of getting all my old games back plus a couple extra/new games to spice things up.

Add to that the silly money I've spent buying literally every part for a Sega Goldeneye restore and we are talking silly money but the enjoyment I get from this hobby from the games to the great people in it is priceless.

#67 3 years ago

Lost count. Maybe this much?

50000-cash-300x199 (resized).jpg

#68 3 years ago

Here's my friend who's into sailing

dark-knight-burning-money (resized).jpg

#69 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Paid plenty, but have enjoyed every minute of it. No regrets.

I've theoretically thought of what I would do with the giant heap of money if I sold all of my machines and I honestly couldn't find much of an answer, because when I get money I usually just buy more pinball machines... I definitely love it.

#70 3 years ago

I do not want to know parts and games. It is up there....

#71 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

I could tell you exactly what I paid for each game, when I bought it, where I bought it , who I bought it from, condition (with pictures) and then who I sold it too, how much I sold it for, when I sold it and if there was a profit how much that was as well. It's all documented from the very first game. Believe it.
    John

This is amazing John! And I know then that I'm on your documentation. With a game sold to you and a game bought from you. By the way John....have anything for sale?

I think I'm up around $50k after 3.5 years in the hobby. And I love my mix of EM to SS to DMD games that I hope to continue to add to.

#72 3 years ago

Not enough

#73 3 years ago

I couldn't even tell you how much I've spent on wine, women, booze, or song, let alone pinball. I just don't find it that important.

#74 3 years ago

Considering when I did most of the buying, and what has happened to prices since, I am confident that I am actually in the black. Many of my games have doubled in value in the last 5 years.

#75 3 years ago

ALL OF IT

#76 3 years ago

Who cares, besides my wife?

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Here's my friend who's into sailing

Yeah, boats are no joke. They tried to get me to trade up my boat after 1 year and for 6 extra feet it doubled in price. I did not make that trade.

#78 3 years ago

Probably just a bit north of $100k on machines alone. Wow - thinking about this number, that is crazy. I remember thinking I'd get a restored machine or two for <$5k. Next thing you know, I'm finishing my basement to create a 'true' arcade & movie theater experience, expanding the garage, etc. Sad thing is, I really don't even play that much!

#80 3 years ago
    Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

This is amazing John! And I know then that I'm on your documentation. With a game sold to you and a game bought from you. By the way John....have anything for sale?
    I think I'm up around $50k after 3.5 years in the hobby. And I love my mix of EM to SS to DMD games that I hope to continue to add to.

You sure are Robert, I got you down in the files forever.....LOL. Only thing for sale right now is a Minstrel Man.

John

#81 3 years ago

It's not how much you've spent, it's what you've got. Very happy with my current collection! Hope I never lose interest.

#82 3 years ago

I have always said if I had a nickel for every quarter I have put in a pinball that I would have one hell of a collection! Current money in collection 17K....amazing to think what I have actually spent with repairs and parts....

#83 3 years ago

400% more than I have space for.
    300% more than I said I would.
    200% more than I could spend.
    100% not enough.

#84 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

You sure are Robert, I got you down in the files forever.....LOL. Only thing for sale right now is a Minstrel Man.
    John

Wow! All I can say is thats a very interesting game John. Just looked it up on youtube. Um....I think I'll pass.

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

I shudder everytime I think about it.
    Between the three I currently have: $16k or so. That's just straight-up purchase price combination. No mods even included.
    Remember back in the "good ol days" when that would buy you 6-8 games?

Ok, I am adusting this: up to $30k since 4 days ago. Bought a pristine CFTBL and Alien.

Holy shit...

#86 3 years ago

$100
    well, that is what started it

#87 3 years ago

look at my collection and do the math.

#88 3 years ago
    Quoted from mario_1_up:

look at my collection and do the math.

We're not doing "value" we're doing "money spent"

#89 3 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

We're not doing "value" we're doing "money spent"

oh ok. I asked my wife she said 10k.

#90 3 years ago
    Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

Wow! All I can say is thats a very interesting game John. Just looked it up on youtube. Um....I think I'll pass.

No problem Robert, the game is sold and gone anyways. See you at the Zoo.

John

#91 3 years ago
    Quoted from rvdv:

Just curious what most pinsiders have spend on pinball incl purchase machines, repairs ,mods, travel to show
    Just a ball park nr of $$$$$

Less than you.

I tried to calculate it a while ago...it's definitely less than it seems after I factor in the games I repaired/shopped out and sold.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 11.95
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Tools
    PinDoc Restorations
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9.00
    $ 5,899.99
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    The Pinball Place
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 700.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside