Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 116 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by blondetall
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Does Tim change your opinion of the PHOF”

• Not at all. I love the place 55 votes
      46%
    • I look past his attitude and play pinball 22 votes
      18%
    • It gets old. Still like to go there though. 9 votes
      8%
    • It drove me nuts. Now I don't bother. 5 votes
      4%
    • I don't like the place because of the lack of maintenance. 28 votes
      24%

(119 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1377130_511216302299200_1831418823_n.jpg
    IMAG2305.jpg
    IMAG2304.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#30 10 years ago

This is the first time I've heard of Tim yelling at kids...

#33 10 years ago

Well look, you can either have him spend all day talking to you, or you can have him back to fixing up the Cactus Canyon. Which one would ruin your trip more, him not cuddling with you for a while or you not being able to see Bart's hat move?

#41 10 years ago

First time I went, my wife and I took our (then at the time) 2-year old son with us. Tim came over and showed us over to the crane games and pointed out that the little spiky balls are really easy to grab because they're grippy and it's easy to win. My kid won a couple of them and he left more than happy. We still have those balls, and my now 17-month old kid plays with them all the time.

All this happened without Tim going into a rage and yelling at my kid.

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from ReallifePin:

Not sure if this is directed at me. I hope not, as I certainly don't believe I gave the impression I needed hand holding. I have been there many times and never bothered him unless I needed help with a game that just wouldn't play. 2 balls in the trough, for example.

No, not at you, just in jest overall.

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from ReallifePin:

Would love to add some more balanced options. Is there a way?

Don't sweat it. I think they're all just choosing the top option.

#88 10 years ago

Every time the PHoF is brought up I get a little more disappointed by the sense of entitlement that is growing in this hobby. It's really disheartening.

#93 10 years ago

What I see are a bunch of people complaining that LOCATION games in a highly trafficked location aren't up to their HUO or collector quality standards. A game isn't "virtually unplayable" if it has a couple of switch errors here and there. The place isn't home to terribly maintained machines. Are some machines down on any given day? Of course they are.

Complaints about Twilight Zone or Medieval Madness having a few issues are so shortsighted. These are the most popular pinball machines of all time, getting played on hundreds (at least!) of times per week. All of those machines in there are getting played far more than yours do at home. How do you expect a guy and a handful of volunteers to keep everything in 100% working order 100% of the time? It's simply not feasible unless you want to employ 2-3 full time technicians and pay them a livable wage of $40,000-$50,000 per year. So ok, do that. Now you're cutting $120,000-$150,000 a year out of the bottom line just from payroll. Add in benefits and it goes up from there. You're taking a huge chunk of what the place makes and taking it away from charity, THE WHOLE REASON THE PLACE EXISTS.

If the PHoF was about preserving pinball rather than charity, Tim could have just left everything in storage or in warehouses set up to play for his circle of family, friends, and the lucky few that got invited from time to time. That's not what this place is about. If that's what you're looking for, go visit one of the other pinball museums out there, because their mission statement is more in line with what you're hoping for.

And no, you can't have it both ways.

As for Tim's attitude, most people don't have any sort of problem with him because they just leave him alone. Any time you go and distract him, he's getting more and more behind on keeping the place kept up. Say hi, let him do his thing. Don't pester him for 20 minutes and then whine that ToM has an issue that "should only take 20 minutes to fix."

#95 10 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Will overhead go up? Absolutely. But the donations will go up at the same time.

Do we know this? Do we know for sure that the vast majority of his visitors even care? A hardcore pinhead will notice a flaky switch in the orbit on an AFM, but will the random visitor? If the random visitor doesn't notice, which makes up the biggest part of his customer base, why raise overhead? It's not like he doesn't want the games to be in good condition, but the trade off probably isn't worth it for Tim. He does the best he can and hopes that people will love the place regardless of a few rough spots here and there.

#110 10 years ago

To be clear, I'm not saying that Tim is a beacon of sunshine and happiness. I personally haven't seen him get upset with anybody, but I figure if you go enough times, it's an inevitability.

#112 10 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Saying Tim could do better is like saying Mother Teresa was lazy.

If you're a big fan or admirer, don't dig too deeply into Mother Teresa's dealings...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-does-tim-change-your-opinion-of-the-phof?tu=jar155 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.