5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 116 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by blondetall
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Does Tim change your opinion of the PHOF”

• Not at all. I love the place 54 votes
      46%
    • I look past his attitude and play pinball 22 votes
      19%
    • It gets old. Still like to go there though. 9 votes
      8%
    • It drove me nuts. Now I don't bother. 5 votes
      4%
    • I don't like the place because of the lack of maintenance. 27 votes
      23%

(117 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1377130_511216302299200_1831418823_n.jpg
    IMAG2305.jpg
    IMAG2304.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 5 years ago
    Quoted from srmonte:

Tim is a jerk. I have been there many many times and have never found him friendly. Last time he was yelling at my kids and they were not doing anything wrong. He probably has no kids. But the place is an arcade what does he expect. I always watch my kids close to make sure they are being good.

So your kids were just standing there and Tim came up and yelled at them for no reason?

Doubtful.

From the negative tone of the title to the biased poll, this thread just makes me sad.

#102 5 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

As for Tim's attitude, most people don't have any sort of problem with him because they just leave him alone. Any time you go and distract him, he's getting more and more behind on keeping the place kept up. Say hi, let him do his thing. Don't pester him for 20 minutes and then whine that ToM has an issue that "should only take 20 minutes to fix."

I totally agree with what you said about maintenance on the machines. There are a few there that could use some love but many times more that play just great. Games that you just won't see other places.

I think you are off base suggesting that the only people he is grumpy with are people that are distracting him. Most people that go there don't even know who he is. Is it distracting him to ask for a credit back for a machine that took their quarters? Is it pestering to ask for an arcade attendant to come correct a game that started and there is no ball in the shooter lane? Assuming these things are requested politely and with some manners, is it reasonable to expect some common courtesies more than just grunts?
    I know who Tim is and what he does for both charity and pinball. Most people that go there don't and expect better customer service than what I have seen him give run of the mill arcade requests. At the end of the day if you want to make more money, either for yourself or for a charity, customer service is important.

#104 5 years ago

Pardon me, but I thought it was the "Pinball Hall of Fame" and not "Tim Arnold's House of Hospitality"?

Seriously, if you don't know what it's like having to maintain a bunch of games for the general public, be a little more tolerant of the peoples' attitudes that have to run these things.

I have my own place now, with close to 100 machines. We aren't open to the public. We occasionally have parties, and a few of the public come in and after every event, at least 20% of the machines have some sort of malfunction that takes me at least two weeks to fix. On top of that, there's always someone who comes in and treats the machines poorly or has unsupervised kids that cause issues - not just pinball issues like swinging from a plunger like it's a set of monkey bars, but leaving food and spilling drinks all over the place, that I have to clean up... after everybody is gone, I'm the one there, who has to clean up the whole mess. It's not all its cracked up to be, but we do it because we like to share what we have and hope others appreciate it. Sometimes we get grumpy. I apologize in advance.

As far as Tim, I don't find him "inhospitable" or un-friendly. When I first met him and commented about how he didn't seem very friendly his response was, "You want a friend? Get a dog." Now that may seem offensive, but I found it hilarious. On other occasions where I got more of a chance to know him better and chat, he's been very gracious. I don't blame him for being a bit apprehensive about meeting people. He's very busy. He's one of the pinball community's great benefactors as well as great characters. I wouldn't want it any other way.

#105 5 years ago

I frequent the PHOF once a month and really enjoy it. I am not the personality police. I am not going to have a conversation with the owner. I could careless if he is nice or not or if he has a personality. I go to play pinball plan and simple. The beauty about the PHOF is that he provides many people with a variety of machines they normally are unable to play. If it's broken choose another one. I am sure many owners of business's aren't nice but you continue to by their product. Relax, have fun and play pinball.

MFW

#106 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

when Tim is gone, the PHoF will be gone too.

This is an absolute fact. The moment Tim is out of the picture, there is no PHOF.

The PHOF is run by a non-profit group, the Las Vegas Pinball Collector club or something of that nature, but the non-profit does not own the collection. The non-profit only owns the building and some newer Sterns, and is tasked with operating and maintaining Tim's collection. So basically Tim is letting the PHOF use his collection to raise money for charity. He takes ZERO salary. If anything happened to Tim, you'd have a building with probably 6 mediocre Stern games in it.

#107 5 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Saying Tim could do better is like saying Mother Teresa was lazy.

Aww come on. You know that's not what I'm saying.

Tim deserves the highest level of respect for the way he has dedicated his life to his cause, but why does he have to do it alone?

Even Mother Teresa had thousands of people working at her organization.....

#108 5 years ago

Not sure why the OP started this thread, but if it's to be unkind to someone who has done more for the hobby than most of us will ever do.... well; mission accomplished, I guess.

#109 5 years ago

You deiced already- lots of people that know this person, and who have visited this person and some who have seen him once have all replied to you...

There are a lot of things that can be going on with a person that makes then seem or be unapproachable or gruff- some in the 'wiring' some in the environment and sometimes both-

I'd think it would be cool if there was a 'ticket' system or something developed for "next to nothing" (in terms of overhead) that would flag problem machines down and let a person prioritize- but I haven't figured it out yet.

#110 5 years ago

To be clear, I'm not saying that Tim is a beacon of sunshine and happiness. I personally haven't seen him get upset with anybody, but I figure if you go enough times, it's an inevitability.

#111 5 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

That's got to be the best thing I've heard!

#112 5 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

If you're a big fan or admirer, don't dig too deeply into Mother Teresa's dealings...

#113 5 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Not sure why the OP started this thread, but if it's to be unkind to someone who has done more for the hobby than most of us will ever do.... well; mission accomplished, I guess.

Not at all. I don't believe that is the sum total of what this thread has done either. There are many accounts of Tim as a person that show what kind of person he is: generous, devoted, hard-working, funny, and human.

#114 5 years ago

12 years ago, right after I got my first game, Tim Arnold offered to pick me up from the Vegas strip, drive me over to his warehouse, and let me check out his huge personal collection. He didn't even know me.

In the years since he's helped me several times with parts, back when they were much harder to find than now.

There's nothing wrong with that dude.

#115 5 years ago

I don't know who Tim is but when I went to PHOF everyone was nice to me? I try and be nice to people so maybe that helps?

my opinion of PHOF is entirely based on the rather sad state of a lot of the machines there, although I have mixed feelings since I also operate machines so I feel their pain... but they really need to be more on top of their games over there... which I know is easier said than done when you have that many games (I maintain 9 on route, so not even close to the same)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6.00
    $ 131.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 95.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 149.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    £ 75.00
    $ 67.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 49.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 36.99
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 349.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside