Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 104 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by toyotaboy
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ed-mcmahon-johnny-carson.jpg
    There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 10 years ago

not sure about now but they were pretty much rock stars in the 90's.. and I *believe* that Lawlor at least was being paid a bonus on a per-unit basis (so he cleaned up pretty well)

Not to mention some of these guys own patents

#102 10 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Ouch.. I guess you've never heard of an associate's degree? Well I'm going to get back to my designing in solidworks at my engineering job... or maybe I'm not since it's not real

I would say go for the whole degree. In a tough job market who wants to hire someone with a 2 year degree? Especially in a technical field? If you said no one then you are correct. I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but you can't just go to ITT tech and make 80k a year or whatever they portray on their commercials.

#103 10 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but you can't just go to ITT tech and make 80k a year or whatever they portray on their commercials.

But ITT and DeVry offer *nine month wonder* programs as well. And then there was R*E*T*S .....

#104 10 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

I would say go for the whole degree. In a tough job market who wants to hire someone with a 2 year degree? Especially in a technical field? If you said no one then you are correct. I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but you can't just go to ITT tech and make 80k a year or whatever they portray on their commercials.

Honestly at this point in my life, I'm not really sure I care. I make decent money, I don't have student loans, I don't have the worries that a product manager has, I'm in a nice comfortable middle position. I'm not a cad monkey that makes drawings from models all day, but I still get to design and make improvements to existing products. Also education isn't everything. I've worked with engineers with Bachelor's degrees that are book smart, but have never even touched a vertical mill or a lathe. How can you design anything without knowing how molds are machined or the capabilities?

When I get laid off in a massive cutback 2 years ago, I was re-employed in less than a month so I'm not really that worried about the job market (my experience on my resume speaks for itself). I realize by "definition" I'm not a "mechanical engineer" by license, but I do mechanical engineering work. Not any different than Steve Ritchie being a mechanical engineer without a degree.

Sometimes a 4-year degree can hurt you because you're too big of an expense. How many stories do you hear about people with master's degree working at a fast food joint because nobody wants to hire them? I've been told by many managers (including my current one) that upper management see engineering as nothing but a cost they'd like to get rid of. Design the product, and just keeping cranking the production gears until the product obsoletes itself. Nobody makes any money working for the man, if you want to make real money you have to work for yourself (at least on the side) which I have plans to do (and have).

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-does-a-pinball-designer-make/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.