Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 98 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Wamprat
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How much do you nudge?”

• Not at all, I'm afraid to nudge it down the drain 22 votes
      9%
    • Very little, never tilt 51 votes
      21%
    • Average nudger, rarely tilt 112 votes
      47%
    • above average nudger, often tilts 41 votes
      17%
    • Big nudger, nudges the machine across the floor, tilts very often 13 votes
      5%

(239 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nudge.png
    image-2.jpg
    image-1.jpg
    on_wall.jpg
    pinbeatdown.jpg
    pinbeatdown.jpg
    pinballburied.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    tickletickle.jpeg
    MP.jpeg
    There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 11 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Look at this Moron ,, If that was my JM , his AZZ would have been Stomped !!!!!
    » YouTube video

This guy has other issues beside not being good at pinball.

#52 11 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

I nudge nearly all the time...edit. now that I took your poll, my real answer isn't there. Lotta nudging, rarely tilt

Same here. More nudging doesn't mean more tilting

#53 11 years ago

How about when you're playing on location and tilt your 3rd ball to end the game and realize if you just let it drain the bonus would have put you over the replay. Replay at 50M, my score after tilt 49,895,000. Arrgg.

#54 11 years ago

I nudge as far as a machine will let me. You can set the tilt bob as sensitive as you want so a mouse fart causes a warning. If you dont like people nudging your machine and want them to gingerly caress your flippers or else cause a tilt then set it that way. I wouldn't like people beating on my lockbar or my glass though, thats a benefit reserved for me

#55 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

NimblePin said:Bang Backs are also a BIG NO-NO! Especially at my house...
    If I saw somebody do a Bang Back on one of my machines, I'd be inclined to perform a Bang Back on their skull!

I'm gonna just guess that a "Bang Back" is where you slap the side of the machine? Right?
    OK, if so here's a story. It will might piss someone here off but Oh Well.
    I was in the Tournaments at PATZ on Saturday. There was this young kid, probably 14 or 15 yrs old. He was using this technique on the machines. I understood the jist of what he was doing although I must admit until I read this thread I didn't know that it was a common thing or technique. I've always just been a semi-nudger myself.
    Anyways, like I said he was just smacking the shit out of these really nice machines AC/DC, Tron and Avatar. Not that the Classics in the line up deserved to be smacked either, but you know what I mean. These were obviously not his machines to be doing what I considered abuse to..
    Plus he had just horrible sportsmanship, he was getting all pouty and I remember seeing him purposely Tilt a few times.
    All the time I'm thinking this kid needs some counselling or something? JMHO though maybe I'm getting old?
    Oh yea another thing, he kept trying to take my stool that I brought from home. I need a hip replacement and brought because I can't stand long periods at a time.. If I turned my back to sign up for a game or something, I'd turn back around and he was trying to pull it away to sit on. He did this shit twice.. I'm thinking Jesus kid, I can barely walk and you're gonna take my stool every time I don't have my hand holding it down?

Just Bitchin I guess, but glad those weren't my machines there. I would more than likely said something.. Maybe I'm just a dick IDK?

Bill in Indiana

#56 11 years ago

If the operator has not idea about setting up the tilt or they just dont care, then I will take advantage of that for sure.

#57 11 years ago

Nudging is an inherent part of playing pinball, otherwise there wouldn't be a tilt plumb!

I nudge, slap, slide, jiggle the machine all of the time. If a machine has the tilt set liberally, then it is an open invitation to manipulate the machine to your advantage.

If you do not want people to perform death saves/bang backs, or overly nudge your machines, then keep your tilts TIGHT.

Like I said, I am physical with my games. They are meant to be played after all.

That being said, I do keep the tilts tight on my games. People may(and do) complain to me about it, but when I am in a competition where the tilts are tight and it counts, I am less likely to tilt.

LEE

#58 11 years ago

I pretty much never nudge, I'm always afraid that it'll contribute to something breaking under there.

#59 11 years ago
    Quoted from Kingoftron:

I pretty much never nudge, I'm always afraid that it'll contribute to something breaking under there.

That's Kinda the way I feel, Hell i just Moved BSD from 1 end to the other in the GRG and I had a Credit dot ( a Year or so ago ) and I Sure as Hell Don't want to Bump/Nudge TZ !!

#60 11 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I Sure as Hell Don't want to Bump/Nudge TZ !!

How about a gentle caress then B_R?
    Like the others echoed, nudging is an integral part of pinball, just like flipper skills. It doesn't take much to coax a ball back from the edge of the dreaded abyss. Practice makes perfect... Or, you can just pick up an IM and it will be a mandatory "Oh $#!t" save every 5 seconds!

#61 11 years ago

My pins I nudge alot but never tilt or get warnings.

I agree with older pins nudging is a part of making good scores.

Other peoples pins on location alot lighter nudging.

Other peoples pins at home location usually will not nudge even if told it is ok.

#62 11 years ago

Watch Gomez Nudging the BIBLE in this video,, the ball is in the Pop-bumper area , why Nudge or Bump when it's in that location ? I was @ Shanetastic's 2-nite , Played his RBION ,, All j=his Pin's ,, talk about Nudging ,, He would almost bring his IM off the ground to the Left or right, That Left Ramp if it don't completely make it up , It Will head SDTM..

#63 11 years ago

If you wear a motorcycle helmet with horns coming out of the sides of it all viking style, you should nudge... Just sayin. I guess by the same logic, if you wear a motorcycle helmet with horns coming out of the sides of it all viking style, people should probably listen if you tell them not to nudge your table...

#64 11 years ago

I usually rely on my flipper skills to get outta trouble, but will shake it on the outlanes.The occasssional push to get some more pop bumper action.Over all I think I "hudge" less than others.Scott

#65 11 years ago

Hit + nudge= Hudge

#66 11 years ago

OK, can someone please tell me the difference between a 'bang back' and a 'death save'?

#67 11 years ago

i nudge hard! what i love is to drag the machine to the side and sometimes i get away with it muhahahahahahah

#68 11 years ago

B_R, You have that Ac/Dc on the way, you will have to nudge or slap to get that ball from coming SDTM sometimes. Its just a fact of life to avoid those short ball times. But you know when it's excessive with the tilt warnings, even without them you know how much is too much.

A recent classics tournament taught me how to nudge, it doesn't have to be too hard, just a gentle jitter to get away from those outlanes.

#69 11 years ago
    Quoted from cevans82:

if its someone elses i try to keep it to a minimum but mine i nudge quite a bit.

Well said, that's the right thing to do, also route machines are not someone's collection.

I nudge enough to be effective, only when absolutely necessary. However it really pisses me off when it's going straight down the center or is already down the out lane and someone gives it the last super shake and tilt, when it can't possibly be saved. I set me tilt pretty tight.

If someone did a bang back or death save on my machines, they would never be invited back. Probably kick them out on the spot.

I have had many visitors, and found most to be courteous and ask how I feel about nudging. I simply tell them dont worry if I think you are nudging to much you can just buy the machine

On a serious note though, my visitor are pin owners which I think understand how much a pin is and how hard it is to fin a nice one.

#70 11 years ago
    Quoted from Blakesell:

B_R, You have that Ac/Dc on the way, you will have to nudge or slap to get that ball from coming SDTM sometimes. Its just a fact of life to avoid those short ball times. .

That's "randomness" as Gary calls it, personally I like flow, but played ACDC a couple days ago and noticed the same! Ironman is another nudge required game

#71 11 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

If someone did a bang back or death save on my machines, they would never be invited back

And the difference between these two is...?

#72 11 years ago

I have a flock of waiting ninja who behead anyone who nudges my machines, even gently.

#73 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

Here you go pinballslave:

@ 0:58 = bang back and at about 1:05 = death save

#74 11 years ago
    Quoted from system11:

I have a flock of waiting ninja who behead anyone who nudges my machines, even gently.

Funny !!

#75 11 years ago

It's important to nudge.

nudge.pngnudge.png

#76 11 years ago

The games were designed to be nudged. All the best players do it...effectively. I have actually shaken balls back up an outlane when they were already partially down. Most recently I seem to recall doing it on SM and BSD. Some games have multiple tilt warnings as a default in the software to allow you to get away with it to a certain extent.

#77 11 years ago

I'm not the best slap-saver, but I've gotten decent at nudging the ball off the top of the slingshots or the post between the inlane/outlane.

#78 11 years ago

Playing a game like Flash you have to nudge...

#79 11 years ago
    Quoted from wesperron:

NimblePin said:Carry Over!
    Thank we needed that here....wink wink nudge nudge.

A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat.

#80 11 years ago

I am considering buying these and wearing them while I play. I wonder if they'll help my nudging?

http://www.amazon.com/Title-Boxing-TITLE-Weighted-Gloves/dp/B001152MD6/ref=sr_1_8

#81 11 years ago

Depends on machine.
    Sterns like Elvis, BBHP and Indiana Jones are very nudgeable as theres a lot of rubbers for the ball to bounce around. I nudge modern sterns like crazy. I think they're lighter so its easier. I do nudge other games just not as much.

#82 11 years ago

I nudge very rarely. I guess it comes from being over-protective of my pins. At a public place, I'm probably a moderate nudger.

I had a visitor to once play my pins and he was very hard on them. He beat the shit out of my LOTR LE. I was cringing watching him play, for I do not mistreat my pins! I didn't want to hurt his feelings by asking him to stop, but I was really glad when it was all over with!!! I don't want a lot of jarring or slapping around on my pins! Might loosen something up and next thing you know you've got something broken or not working.

I rely on my flipper skills with MUCH less emphasis on shaking and quaking them.

#83 11 years ago

I nudge very rarely. I guess it comes from being over-protective of my pins. At a public place, I'm probably a moderate nudger.

I had a visitor to once play my pins and he was very hard on them. He beat the shit out of my LOTR LE. I was cringing watching him play, for I do not mistreat my pins! I didn't want to hurt his feelings by asking him to stop, but I was really glad when it was all over with!!! I don't want a lot of jarring or slapping around on my pins! Might loosen something up and next thing you know you've got something broken or not working.

I rely on my flipper skills with MUCH less emphasis on shaking and quaking them.

#84 11 years ago

I am sore from playing BSD. If you don't nudge that machine, the ball is going out.

#85 11 years ago

I guess I might not nudge a Sega, the playfield might fall off the rails or it might spontaneously combust or suddenly split into two exactly even halves or melt.

#86 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pintucky:

That wasn't me was it?

#87 11 years ago

Look at the force used in moving them, and especially pulling out the PF's on DE/sega/sterns. That always makes me cringe, as they are not on smooth pull out tracks as with WPCs. Nudging, even tilting will not hurt a thing.

#88 11 years ago

DM with the Up-Rite Handles is the Perfect Tool's to Nudge with .. I Don't move the Pin to much tho .

#89 11 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

DM with the Up-Rite Handles is the Perfect Tool's to Nudge with .. I Don't move the Pin to much tho .

You shaking a DM with the handles must look violent

#90 11 years ago

I'm probably in the large minority, but I never nudge. I don't like jarring my pins. I know they're built for it, but I just don't like it. I get nervous something is going to break.

Although i'm buying a pinbot this weekend and we'll see how long my non-nudging can continue.

#91 11 years ago

I find myself nudging more and more... Usually just a warning or two, but I rarely tilt. IM really got me into nudging. You have to nudge and bump that one, especially on slow returns from the orbit, or you will be cursing in no time....as it drains in some impossibly crazy and almost magical way.

#92 11 years ago

When playing location games: Average nudger, rarely tilt

When tilts are set tourney-tight: above average nudger, often tilts

I do the same amount of nudging, but those tight tilt settings kill me

#93 11 years ago

As a somewhat new pinball player I have recently discovered that I can use nudging successfully while playing. Literally maybe two days ago (I've been playing on average 15hours a week of pinball) I kind of just felt it come naturally into my play. If I see the ball coming SDTM or even at an angle but heading down the middle I can nudge and sort of glide the machine a bit to the right or left (I push left or right, towards the opposite side the ball has a better chance of hitting. If its coming SDTM but maybe ever so slightly to the right, I'll nudge left, pushing the machine left and therefore the ball will catch the right flipper.

It's odd how nudging came into play for me...it was very natural. I just kind of started doing it..it felt right.

I have been having a difficult time getting better at pinball in general since I started playing about 3 weeks ago. I felt like I hit a brick wall skills-wise, but in the last few days I started nudging and starting getting a lot more aggressive with catching the ball, and passing it to the other flipper. I feel like my scores have been lower since I've been more aggressive, but it's such an awesome feeling to successfully pass the ball from flipper to flipper, or to nudge and save what would have been a SDTM drain.

#94 11 years ago

Never used to do it, now its become a regular part of my game. I started getting a feel for outlanes, but ive also started nudging forward just as the ball hits the slings. This has helped me get a lot more ball control.

#95 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

ovfdfireman said:If someone did a bang back or death save on my machines, they would never be invited back

It's pinball 101....

1 month later
    #96 11 years ago

I never used to do it then i watched Pinball 101 and learned how to. I never have done a bang back or deathsave and I will not do one on someone elses machine. but I nudge quite regularly and my scores have gone up.

#97 11 years ago

Not as much as I should!

#98 11 years ago

I have always given pins a good workout in the nudge dept, either in the wild or in my home.
    I have not found any problems or things breaking etc from nudging the pins I own or have owned.

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-do-you-nudge/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.