(Topic ID: 61333)

How much clean up is too much? Is there such a thing?

By redman822

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by redman822
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• Hook Data East, 1992

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9723.JPG
IMG_9721.JPG
#1 10 years ago

I have a Hook that I just got in June and it is my first pin.

The playfield and electronics are in great shape thanks to my friend 'shopping' it for me before I took it home, I was just wondering if there's such a thing as too much cleanup?

I know with some collectibles too much restoration hurts the eventual resale price - is it that way with pins?

Thanks in advance from a newbie...

#2 10 years ago

I would so no, the cleaner the better as far as resale goes. It also seems with pins that have not factory original "mods" IE: LED lights, powdercoated rails, toppers, etc raises the price. That all depends on the buyer though, some people are not a fan of LEDS and would not want to pay the higher price.

#3 10 years ago

It's a Hook... Don't worry, just enjoy it man.

If it were a war propaganda poster or vintage can of Spam however...

#4 10 years ago

Also replacing any broken plastics, putting new legs on, replacing playfield glass does not hurt resale. No one is jonesing for a Funhouse with the original rusted legs, broken backglass channel, scuffed up Rudy lip, worn shooter knob yadda yadda yadda. Condition is king. Most people want them as nice and fully operational as possible.

The other side of the spectrum is people that want a beater machine to restore themselves, but they are only going to be willing to pay a lower price anyway.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

vintage can of Spam however...

mmm delicious old mystery meat....

#6 10 years ago

Pinball is one of the few collector pieces that restoration actually increases the value. But on that note it makes 100% difference in who is doing the restoration.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballShawn:

But on that note it makes 100% difference in who is doing the restoration.

So true, sometimes you can do more harm than good with "restore" work. Please clean your machine though.

#8 10 years ago

Part of the fun of owning pinball machines

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from redman822:

I have a Hook that I just got in June and it is my first pin.
The playfield and electronics are in great shape thanks to my friend 'shopping' it for me before I took it home, I was just wondering if there's such a thing as too much cleanup?
I know with some collectibles too much restoration hurts the eventual resale price - is it that way with pins?
Thanks in advance from a newbie...

it can't possibly be "too clean"... so no, "too much cleanup" doesn't exist...

however, "restore" means a lot of different things to different people...

#10 10 years ago

Get yourself a buffing wheel and get to work!

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Prmailers:

Get yourself a buffing wheel and get to work!

(through a wire wheel on that 7" grinder and get to work) hahah

#12 10 years ago

Totally agree, the only way you lower the price is if you break something or mod the machine irreversibly.

By MOD I mean to include doing a crap hack job on a paint restore and clear coating over the top... etc.

DO no harm- cleaning is never bad.

Through cleaning, polishing, wax, new ball, new rubber, new plastics, new flippers (many come "pre-broken" on old machines), rebuilt flipper mechanisms, these are really great ways to make a game play a LOT better, that anyone with a little time and willingness to read instructions and ask questions can accomplish without damaging anything and actually improving things.

#13 10 years ago

Great, thanks. That's what I thought, I just wanted to be sure. My friend already replaced the flippers, rubbers, took everything apart cleaned/polished/waxed for me before I took it home.

Now I just have some body touchup and paint the legs to do - inside the body there appears to be a lot of black 'coil dust' residue. Any tips on how to clean that without causing damage to anything inside?

#14 10 years ago

PICS... of what you need to deal with will really help... hard to say what you mean by inside the body.

#15 10 years ago

I am an anti-dust freak with electronics, I have tried to vacuum it out but the remainder doesn't seem to want to budge...

IMG_9721.JPGIMG_9721.JPG IMG_9723.JPGIMG_9723.JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-clean-up-is-too-much-is-there-such-a-thing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.