Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by schudel5
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FB_IMG_1679868646660 (resized).jpg
    Depositphotos_115005582_S.jpg
    630C0CE6-D509-41FD-ABEE-AD6685C05EE7 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dakine747.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Currently, I have six early solid-state Ballys, all fed from only one power outlet and an Alexa smart plug, so I’m able to power up the entire setup simultaneously. The machines are all completely LED’d. In addition, this same outlet powers five toppers (three of which are glass tube neon), and three glass-tube neon wall signs.

So far, so good……but am I pushing it?? <crossing fingers>

630C0CE6-D509-41FD-ABEE-AD6685C05EE7 (resized).jpeg630C0CE6-D509-41FD-ABEE-AD6685C05EE7 (resized).jpeg
    #3 1 year ago

What might be the ramifications, if any, since it’s been okay so far? Any guidelines on pinballs vs. power outlets?

I assume splitting them into two outlets would be better, but still pushing it??

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from sparky672:

I'd be more worried about the smart plug. The power rating on the Alexa smart plug is 15 amps, and it will likely not have a long life if you're running near the 15-amp limit of your circuit. Otherwise, if you're on a 20-amp circuit and operating everything over 15 amps, the smart plug is on borrowed time.

Quoted from zacaj:

Depends on the rating of the circuit breaker, the thickness of the wires, how good the wiring is, etc. In some cases I've seen issues even with just 5 games on one 20A circuit (flippers getting weaker, random resets, when they're all being played).

Just went down there and divided it between two separate outlets, one with a WEMO, and one with Alexa. I know that’s probably better. I was able to combine the two plugs into one ‘group’, so I can still bring everything up at once.

I think I remember reading somewhere that three games in one outlet wasn’t uncommon, and since all lamps and displays are LED, I should be good?? At least until I buy more games LOL.

Appreciate all the feedback….

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from Insanity199:

Correct. If they are on the same circuit, the circuit still has the same load regardless of the number of outlets.

It's a large open basement area, with only two outlet boxes, one on each end of the basement. I'm using one outlet box for all my games, so in order to use separate circuits I'll have to figure out a creative way to run half the power needed, from the other side of the space - at least until I can get a couple more outlets down there.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from Drain1:

How many games do you expect to be playing at one time?

It isn't often that more than one is being played at a time, since I'm single. But occasionally, there's a crowd of friends, family or neighbors. Then all hell breaks loose. LOL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dakine747.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-can-a-single-outlet-power?tu=Dakine747 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.