Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ectobar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

A64B04AB-7CB7-4DBD-B533-BC45C7CB3F03 (resized).png

#1 2 years ago

I've been playing and re-evaluating GoT recently after pretty much dismissing it for quite a while. I put in some time on it when it originally came out, but moved on fairly soon due to a combination of what seemed like overly complex rules and God awful looking video clips. Both of these have been remedied for the most part (for me anyway) by watching chuckwurt 's detailed tutorial videos and ColorDMD's recent release for it. After further review, its ruleset and gameplay now seem pretty cool.

What say you - does GoT truly deserve to be ranked (currently) back in the Pinside Top 100 pack at 38th or does it still "kick ass" two plus years later?

#2 2 years ago

Bought a Pro with the intent of rotating it out around the 6 month mark. Wife wound up falling for it and asked me not to sell it.

Two years later it's still kicking major ass. So much so, I'm now on the hunt to upgrade to an LE. And yes, ColorDMD is a must.

Later,
EV

#3 2 years ago

Still one of the best games in my collection. I don't see it going anywhere soon..

#4 2 years ago

Oh it kicks a load of asses. I have to admit I've "forgotten" about it a bit in recent months as I've been swapping out a few other machines and playing the new ones more. I played a game on my pro last night and was blown away all over again. It shoots so damn smooth. The shots are interesting with ramps that feed back to the same flipper (rather than crossing like most), yet can both be made with a clean backhand for lots of combo opportunities (with rules to encourage that to boot!). The dragon shot is great. The ram is a unique take on a "bash toy" and I love that it isn't a gimme, but rather takes a hard shot, like a real battering ram would. The rules are perfect with just the right amount of depth and difficulty for the layout. It has a very obtainable, exciting multiball for less experienced players, great stacking opportunities and an reachable mini-wizard mode for good players, and deep scoring strategies and a difficult but obtainable final wizard mode for the great players. Great callouts (though I would still love a few more sound clips added), especially the custom stuff from the Hound (BLACKWATER MULTIBALL! gets me pumped every time). Great music. I really like the art, though I know many do not. The main modes are nicely varied, with interesting "side quests" to shake things up, and there are many paths to take through the game.

I knew I loved the game, but revisiting it last night it really sunk in just how awesome it really is. I've been playing a lot of Star Wars lately as that is newest in my collection. I like that game but can't say I love it. In many ways it is similar to GoT, but in many ways it is not. SW is missing some of the more interesting and satisfying shots, and also missing the obtainable payoff for beginner players. Tie Fighter multiball is no where near as easy to achieve as Blackwater for instance. While they are both fast, flowy machines, Star Wars is just brutal and way less forgiving. It sounds strange, but going back to GoT has really made me question if SW is going to be a keeper. For me it just isn't in the same league. Sorry...I know this isn't a comparison thread...just my ramblings after playing the two machines back to back.

Bottom line, GoT still wears big old heavy, steel toed ass kickin' boots!

#5 2 years ago

Good to hear - thanks. The Pro looks like fun, but I'll likely go for a Premium/ LE if I get one. I like the upper playfield - just wish there was more to it code-wise.

#6 2 years ago

I love GOT and I miss my LE.

I like long playing games, lots of set-up and deliberate execution and there really is no game like GOT in this respect:
- Ghostbusters -- tough shooter but the real problem is vague scoring rules: people I have spoken to that have scored 6+ billion (including myself, on 3 occasions) say it just sort of happened. To this day nobody can explain to me the rules of 'super jackpot' increase. Too much luck. Cheap-o drains.
- SW -- much easier shooter but again, the high scores of 10+ billion happen in way too random a way.
- Hobbit -- certainly a complex rule set but I really don't care about the layout. This game is also NOT a deliberate shooter as for the most part you get multi ball and are shooting for everything and anything.
- Aerosmith -- KISS rules and same layout and no deep rules IMO. Cheap-o drains.
- Guardians -- hasn't been too interesting yet and definitely cheap-o drains.

I really liked the upper play field and its integration into the game play for modes. I am really surprised this isn't talked about and valued more.

#7 2 years ago

It still kicks all kinds of ass.
Almost 2 yrs in, still my favorite pin of all time. jediturtle made many excellent points about it. Music, custom callouts by the Hound are superb and really get you pumped.
I think more people are slowly coming around to it. The art presentation wasn't the best given the source material, but now that the display has been colorized its just badass.

It could be one of Stern's best ever, if they can finish that last 5% of it. Needs that final polish code update. A few bug fixes, expand/improve some of the House benefits and most importantly fill out the audio callouts in a bunch of spots (expanding the character dialog when they come up on screen) and it'll be pure dynamite to play!

#8 2 years ago

This much ass!!

A64B04AB-7CB7-4DBD-B533-BC45C7CB3F03 (resized).png

#9 2 years ago

I obviously still love my GOT. Haha. Gonna do a temporary swap soon, but man this game is all time good.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballOsp:

- SW -- much easier shooter but again, the high scores of 10+ billion happen in way too random a way.

This was far more true on older code - turned out there was a bug where the point values for "4th mode" multiballs never reset between games. So yeah, after a few games, I've had Death Star mode shots over 2B alone. That bug's been fixed as of 1.0 (or even earlier), so the only really huge shot opportunity left is a 40x Hyperspace hurryup.

- Guardians -- hasn't been too interesting yet and definitely cheap-o drains.

The 0.90 code made the modes a lot more interesting, and it seems like Orb got toned down a bit, so it's definitely not just a "Groot all day" or "Orb all day" deal anymore. Magnets haven't been particularly drainy so that's a plus. I feel like each update peels the "Aerosmith copypasta" a little more.

#11 2 years ago

GOT is awesome. It's bolted to the floor at my house. With the colorDMD upgrade and the LE art package, IMO, it is a top 20, if not top 10 pin. Since buying it NIB, I've bought and sold GB premium, GOTG, and a number of other pins that just don't make the cut. It gets considerable game play at my house and is still one of the pins that I go back to over and over. Personal highlights:

- Strategic, mode based game with plenty of different routes to take for either progress in the game or for high scoring.
- Multiple houses to choose to start from brings a new experience every time you change houses. Dwight has done a good job of making most of the houses have some sort of reason to try them out and as a few pinside members have shown, you can get crazy high scoring going with houses other than Martel which proves you don't have to just go with that house over and over (even though it clearly has the most fun action button feature). If you're like me, you can play one house for a few weeks/months and really get to understand the nuance of that house rules, and then switch it up to a different house and it feels fresh and new. With all the houses it'll keep you busy for a while.
- Multiple multiballs that aren't just "gimmes" and feel good each time you get to them beyond the simple blackwater MB (Wall, WHC, HOTK, Castle MB, etc).
- HOTK mini wizard mode - I love games that have these mini wizard modes that you can get to frequently but not all the time.
- Iron Throne Wizard mode is one of my favorite wizard modes, easily a top 5. it's really cleverly thought out, fun to play, fun to advance through, and takes into consideration what you earned/how you played in the main game.
- LE art package - GOT got a lot of shit for the Pro art package, but honestly, anyone who talks down on the LE package I don't think has seen one in person. The artwork is all original, hand painted, and beautiful. The fire and blood theme is done really well - the laser cut side rails with mirrored backing, the mirrored translite, and all the other little goodies really makes the game sparkle.

Pro or Prem/Le, they're both great players. Play the Prem/Le, but play it with some knowledge ahead of time on how it works, how scoring and rewards are done during modes and out of modes, etc. A lot of people hate on the upper playfield but I think a lot of it is just not understanding it. There's a time and place to flip up there and not every shot up there should result in time spent up there... With the recent prices I've seen mint HUO LE's go for, I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I didn't own one already.

Anyway, my $0.02. I think it's a fantastic game.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

LE art package - GOT got a lot of shit for the Pro art package, but honestly, anyone who talks down on the LE package I don't think has seen one in person. The artwork is all original, hand painted, and beautiful. The fire and blood theme is done really well - the laser cut side rails with mirrored backing, the mirrored translite, and all the other little goodies really makes the game sparkle

I couldn’t agree more. The LE one of the best art packages around from before 2016 by Stern. I think if Mormont was on the backglass instead of Drogo it would have been better received. Drogo should have been head side art in my view and let Mormont be on the backglass.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballOsp:

SW -- much easier shooter but again, the high scores of 10+ billion happen in way too random a way.

If by random you mean systematically building up the shot multiplier through the use of hits to the 3 bank via direct hits and multiballs, completion of the FORCE targets to get 2X multiplier scoring, and then strategically aligning the multiplied playfield shot on the more commonly hit shots and moving it to the big payout shots at the critical time, then yeah, I guess that's "random." Every game I've had on SW over 5 to 10 billion I knew exactly how and why I got that score. Anyway.... back to GOT...

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I couldn’t agree more. The LE one of the best art packages around from before 2016 by Stern. I think if Mormont was on the backglass instead of Drogo it would have been better received. Drogo should have been head side art in my view and let Mormont be on the backglass.

Nailed it. Why they picked a character that (spoiler alert) dies almost immediately for the backglass is surprising. Although, when you look at the rest of the art packages for the Pro and Premium it honestly would not have surprised me if the art was done by someone who wasn't really an enthusiast of the show...

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

With the colorDMD upgrade and the LE art package, IMO, it is a top 20, if not top 10 pin. Since buying it NIB, I've bought and sold GB premium, GOTG, and a number of other pins that just don't make the cut. It gets considerable game play at my house and is still one of the pins that I go back to over and over. Personal highlights: ...

Thanks!

Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think if Mormont was on the backglass instead of Drogo it would have been better received.

I've seen the entire series, but I had to look up who Mormont was again.

So many great characters to choose from, but the LE still looks very nice IMHO!

#16 2 years ago

Should have been Daenarys shacked up with « Spoiler! Click to reveal. Jon snow » on the back glass.

I love the multiple strategies and scoring adventures this pin offers. Seeing the big X multiplier on the dmd is great to know how or why you just got a lot (or a little) of points - sometimes it was only a combo X multiplier shot, sometimes a playfield X shot, or both...Mixed X! Love making a 20X mixed for like 300 million points where normally the shot would only be worth 15 mil.

Game has achievable wizard modes that play slightly different each time you play. Not to mention it is the best flowing pin ever created.

On the flip side of all the good; The game does need a good rinse of code polish and some better rules associated with the upper playfield.

All in all it’s a top 3 stern for me but don’t have a lot of time on SW, it’s steroid counterpart.

#17 2 years ago

I traded my GOT awhile back for an Adams Family.

I like AF much better. Don't miss GOT much. I can play it pretty much everywhere in STL still.

I love my SWLE much better. SWPrem would be same experience. Much better in comparison.
Still lots of orbit shots.

#18 2 years ago

To me the pro is the better game. I don’t like the upper pf at all on the LE/Premium.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

To me the pro is the better game. I don’t like the upper pf at all on the LE/Premium.

Agreed. I have regular access to both versions. Still enjoy the pro. I rarely touch the LE.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Oakland, NE
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
York, PA
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside