(Topic ID: 61936)

How much $ are LE features and build quality really worth???

By DnDPins

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Aurich
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I am a pinball enthusiast who is willing to purchase any good game no matter which company makes it. What I am not willing to do is pay a huge $ differential for LE features and build quality (I expect that already)...there is a limit. Without getting into a Stern vs JJP bashing, lets use them as an example:

Stern Pro - $4500 - I personally feel that Stern has come out with some really solid products in the Pro class. AC/DC, Tron, XMen, Metalica are preferred by many over the LEs and the price seems like a bargain these days.

Premiums / LEs - Stern $6300 - $7500 (or more) JJP LE $7500 - $8000 and Standard (great build quality) $7000 - $7500. Is it really worth it?

Assuming you have the disposable $ to buy LEs, do you really feel they are worth all the extra dollars? How high are you will to go? I for one, am really liking the current value at the $4500 price point and would love to see JJP and others find a way to make a quality product at a lower price point. Am I dreaming or what...

#2 10 years ago

Yes you are dreaming.

Honestly I don't get all this negativity over the LE buyers lately. So they like to buy a pin that has a unique art package and is limited and will pay a good amount over other models to get it. Most people work hard for their money if the LE floats their boat and they can afford it why not go that route?

Seriously, I don't know if it is jealousy or what but those that don't have/want LEs seem to really take offense to the buyers that do want and have them. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If your budget does not allow you to get an LE and you are happy with a Premium or Pro then go that route but don't hate on or try to discourage those that prefer to go with the LE.

#3 10 years ago

AC/DC Premium is worth the cost over the Pro for me. I don't know that any others are at this point. The LEs aren't a huge price bump from the Premium if you can get one before the markups. It isn't worth it to me for the extra art, but if I had a lot more disposable income, I would buy the LE. I think the Premium model is the best option for all but the high end collectors. Before the premium was introduced, the LE was probably more important.

#4 10 years ago

Thanks for your comments Dude. I hope that my post does not make it seem like I have a problem with LEs (I am in on WoZ and Hobbit LEs) what I am really putting put there is a question of how much additionally are you willing to pay for it. Not too long ago, the LE additional cost was about $600. Now it is so much more than that.

#5 10 years ago

I do not make enough money to justify buying a NIB pinball machine. If I did, I would not get a LE. I would rather buy a pro and spend the extra money that a LE would cost on another lesser priced machine. If someone can afford a LE and thats what they want, I say go for it. Life is short. I just personally would not feel comfortable spending that much money on a new game or an old one for that matter. As much as I would like to own a MM someday, I would not spend 12K on one. I would rather spend 2K on 6 lesser machines that I would have just as much, or more fun, than one (to me at least) expensive game.

#6 10 years ago

Tell you what, it doesn't get talked about much for some reason (that I notice at least) but my favorite thing about the LEs is the mirrored backglasses. I wish there were more options for those out there. CPR is starting to add them to older translite designs, I love it.

#7 10 years ago

To me it is not worth the extra $$$$. I am worried about the playing experience, not the artsy side of it. With the introduction of the premium model, you can have the LE play with a cheaper cost. If art and uniqueness are your thing, the LE is the way to go. With the pro it is a completely different game and there is a whole other argument to be made there.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

but my favorite thing about the LEs is the mirrored backglasses.

The mirrored backglass in WOZ is used for both the LE and Standard.

LTG : )
    Disclaimer : I'm one of them.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Tell you what, it doesn't get talked about much for some reason (that I notice at least) but my favorite thing about the LEs is the mirrored backglasses. I wish there were more options for those out there. CPR is starting to add them to older translite designs, I love it.

I a msurprised we haven't seen a bunch of these from all of the mod makers. They would probably sell really well.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from DnDPins:

Not too long ago, the LE additional cost was about $600. Now it is so much more than that.

The LE is about $600 more...than the Premium...if you get it before they're sold out. After that the price is a crapshoot.

Prices are the way they are because of supply and demand. There's not as much demand for pinball, especially in the coin-op world for which it is intended. Fortunately for those making pinballs, there's demand in the home-buyer/collector world...but even with that they'll never be able to sell as many units as they used to...custom designs/parts/R&D/programming is still as expensive as it was, if not more. The Stern Premium/LE & JJP pricing is just what it has to be for these companies making culturally irrelevant products to remain in business. The Stern Premium/LE price vs. Pro isn't about bill of materials...of course the Prem/LE doesn't have $2k worth of stuff in it...it's about collectibility or having a "better" version of the game...and those higher prices are probably subsidizing the Pro version to some extent so it can remain at a lower price for operators or homeowners who can't justify spending over $6k.

#11 10 years ago

... and sometimes this comes down to total pin budget. I have space for 2-3 pins and can sink the same amount in those as some of you have in 10+ pins. I don't have any more money than you, just less space. That pushes me towards LEs and better examples of existing pins.

I envy those of you with a large variety of pins to play.

#12 10 years ago

I couldn't justify buying an avengers LE for an additional $2500 and got the pro, which I am very happy with and have never looked back. I added LEDs on my own for $140. Hulk bridge and crossover ramp hardly seemed worth the added $$$. Don't think I'll ever own an LE unless there is a big difference in game play. Acdc might be the only one where i'd get a premium as I could not stand to look at angus' face like that on the pro.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Nexyss:

I a msurprised we haven't seen a bunch of these from all of the mod makers. They would probably sell really well.

Hard to do I imagine. I'm doing an alt translite right now for a popular application, and even still I'd be pretty nervous about trying to set up a print run with something like mirroring. Expensive, more of a commitment, etc.

My fantasy right now is that CPR does the Elvira and the Party Monsters playfield, and does a mirrored backglass conversion to match it. That would look awesome, mirror out the BBQ grill and find some other spots for it!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-are-le-features-and-build-quality-really-worth and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.