(Topic ID: 111229)

How many TH LE's compared to Smaug LE's?

By Atomicboy

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by dgpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I'm sure this is answered somewhere in the middle of any one of those 25 paged TH threads, but just looking for a quick answer?

#2 9 years ago

LE pre-order folks can change to an SE at no cost (if they were paid up at the time of announcement) but I'm not sure if you do if that basically opens up another LE spot (I'd guess so). 1500LE spots to start with if I recall correctly. From my understanding, the SE is available through the end of the year and then done. I'm guessing that means as many SE's as are ordered.

As a pre-order person myself, I chose to change to the SE version as soon as it was announced. I'm personally less concerned about no longer getting a 'limited edition' as 1500 isn't really all that limited anyhow.

#3 9 years ago

There are 37 people switching as of today per pinside thread, by Dec that number may be 50. There are 200 pinsiders listed as owners of THLE, which is roughly 15% of the total. Presuming the same rate of attrition, 50 pinsiders / 15% is approx 350 SEs required (my guess). Expect all 1500 LEs to sell so JJP better get busy.

#4 9 years ago

Nice question. But for the serious pinballer/collector, I am not sure it is that big of an issue. You can replace both the cabinet sides and Smaug toy for about 8% of the cost of any early pre - order. I have a fully paid pre- order for THSE. I switched from the LE because I loath the ballchinian goblin on the one side. . This is an interesting environment because with a bit of purchase/customization, you can have a game few others own. Personally, I am thinking about putting Smaug on one side of the box, the LE version (non-ballchinian) on the other, and the red Smaug on the playfield.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

LE pre-order folks can change to an SE at no cost (if they were paid up at the time of announcement) but I'm not sure if you do if that basically opens up another LE spot (I'd guess so).

You bring up an interesting point... I'm assuming there will be only 1500 LE's (Smaug & Standard LE's). I see many switching #'s when they do. I actually thought most LE's were spoken for. Strange

#6 9 years ago

and they will make 1000 standards before they make one LE? really want this game but seems like standard WOZ were out and available way faster than pre orders... still the same?

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from oropuro:

and they will make 1000 standards before they make one LE? really want this game but seems like standard WOZ were out and available way faster than pre orders... still the same?

Don't think so. WOZ LE delay was mainly caused by direct print issues and direct print is not in the picture anymore.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Lotr-Hobbit:

Nice question. But for the serious pinballer/collector, I am not sure it is that big of an issue.

Just curious really. Both look good, I think there is a little too much Smaug in the SE all in all, but the all over red cab looks impressive. I'm having a hard time deciding.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Just curious really. Both look good, I think there is a little too much Smaug in the SE all in all, but the all over red cab looks impressive. I'm having a hard time deciding.

I agree, a little too Smaug for me as well so I've opted to stick with the OG LE and I dig the seaside bronze powder coat.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

You bring up an interesting point... I'm assuming there will be only 1500 LE's (Smaug & Standard LE's). I see many switching #'s when they do. I actually thought most LE's were spoken for. Strange

When people switch to a Smaug SE that frees up a regular LE for a new customer.-At least that's how Jack explained it when they were announced. So numbers wise if all are produced we'd have 1500 LE's and an indefinite number of Smaug SE's. My guess is that probably around half of pre-sold LE owners will switch. My guess is anywhere from 500-800 Smaug SE's. We'll probably never know the true number unless JJP releases it since the number system isn't based on anything concrete.

I think the true "rare" JJP games are anything that isn't numbered as some kind of special or limited edition. Even the first 1000 standard WOZ machines are numbered on the apron.

#11 9 years ago

Wow... so the limited 1500 LE, really went to (most likely) 2000+ with the SE version added. For the "Limited" aspect, too bad it didn't stay at 1500 with a mixture or SE & Standard LE's.

I guess this is really no different than WOZECLE at 1000 and WOZ Ruby Red LE at blank#'s ?

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Wow... so the limited 1500 LE, really went to (most likely) 2000+ with the SE version added. For the "Limited" aspect, too bad it didn't stay at 1500 with a mixture or SE & Standard LE's.

I guess this is really no different than WOZECLE at 1000 and WOZ Ruby Red LE at blank#'s ?

Yes JJP needs to do away with the word "limited" altogether. Just come up with other ways to say "I am producing more than enough of these so most that want it will get it and if not I will add a new more limited version on top of it"

#13 9 years ago

From the JJP email, you don't need to be paid up to switch from LE to SE. Just need $4000 on board by 12/31/14 deadline.

As far as numbering, when I switched about a week ago I went from LE #115 to SE #108 assigned by Jen. Don't know if my original number was already taken but it had no significance to me.

Eric

#14 9 years ago

I officially switched mine over yesterday.

#15 9 years ago

Limited really just means "extra stuff" to me for this. I could care less how limited it actually is. I just want it to come out NOW so I can play it

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

From the JJP email, you don't need to be paid up to switch from LE to SE. Just need $4000 on board by 12/31/14 deadline.
As far as numbering, when I switched about a week ago I went from LE #115 to SE #108 assigned by Jen. Don't know if my original number was already taken but it had no significance to me.
Eric

Hmmm. I hadn't thought about what number SE I'd get. In fact, I hadn't even thought about it being numbered. Might be interesting to email Jen and find out what my deal is.

#17 9 years ago

I kept asking Jen for numbers I would like and they were all taken, so I just said screw it - just send me whatever number

It is 8 hundred something...

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I kept asking Jen for numbers I would like and they were all taken, so I just said screw it - just send me whatever number
It is 8 hundred something...

For a SE? There are already over 800 SE's?? Wow!

#19 9 years ago

I don't think so...the numbers are all over the place...

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I don't think so...the numbers are all over the place...

When you start producing things and numbering them in a different order, weird things happen.

I don't even know why you would sign up for this headache as a manufacturer. Produce game number 1 first, then game 2 second... wow amazing concept to KISS.

Especially since we scientifically established anybody buying a game because it has a particularly cool number on it was misguided at best

#21 9 years ago

JJP builds the pins by order date, and not machine number. That way the buyers are able to choose the number for their machine (granted that number has not already been selected by a previous buyer, which was my case)

#22 9 years ago

I'm thinking 1500 LE's, and another 1500 SE's because anyone who has an LE can switch to a SE at no additional cost. They will sell whatever numbers remain for each edition as the requests are made.

#23 9 years ago

I'm not happy!

Have been number 83 since it started, got an email from my distributor and he was slow to ask for an SE upgrade and I've lost my number!!!

#24 9 years ago

Are these in production yet?

I really want to try it out.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

I'm not happy!
Have been number 83 since it started, got an email from my distributor and he was slow to ask for an SE upgrade and I've lost my number!!!

Who's your distrib? PM me?

#26 9 years ago

I spoke with Jen today. I think I got something in the 120's or 150's. My LE was 153 if I remember correctly. Funny. I was probably one of the very first people to switch as my email went out the moment they announced it at the EXPO but I didn't really think about the number. Mainly just assumed the number would be the same. This thread is what made me rethink that and email her today.

#27 9 years ago

I picked #825 for my Hobbit SE to match my WOZ ECLE #825.

#28 9 years ago

I have SMAUG GOLD #113

#29 9 years ago

Something tells me Smaug will have so many gaps in numbering that getting worked up about the numbers is even more comical than normal. Why not just have people put up to a 6 or 9 digit number on them?

Its not like any of this means anything, UNLESS they are somehow capping smaug at 1500 or manage to sell SO MANY Smaugs between announcement and the end of december that all of the holes in between numbers are filled.

This is seriously crazy town. Population: us

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Something tells me Smaug will have so many gaps in numbering that getting worked up about the numbers is even more comical than normal. Why not just have people put up to a 6 or 9 digit number on them?
Its not like any of this means anything, UNLESS they are somehow capping smaug at 1500 or manage to sell SO MANY Smaugs between announcement and the end of december that all of the holes in between numbers are filled.

Yeah, the way they are doing the Smaug numbering doesn't make any sense. Would have been better if they just made a generic plate that said "Smaug Special Edition" without the number. Or better yet just do what Stern does and give people numbers randomly out of the total number produced. If there are 924 Smaug's as of the cutoff date of 12/31 then just make them number x/924. It feels more limited when you actually know the number produced vs. owning game 1500/?

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

So you are saying I can't get 496832 now?! I'm out.

#32 9 years ago

There is no specific numbering on the SE. They are making as many that are purchased before the cutoff date of December 31st of this year. You could have #1500 and still be only one of 300 SE made.

#33 9 years ago

I guess the point is usually there is a X of Y on LE machines. I wonder if they do that with SE? or does the plaque just read SE X (no 'pun' intended)

or do they do: SE #X (354) - if they make 354

#34 9 years ago

I thought I read the your number will be displayed on the LCD, not on a plaque on the apron.

#35 9 years ago

Another crazy numbering story, this time on my WOZLE...

Asked JJP to delay shipping for a few weeks and I had to give up my #103 and got pin #964 instead when I was ready for delivery.

It is overly complicated for some reason.

Eric

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

There is no specific numbering on the SE. They are making as many that are purchased before the cutoff date of December 31st of this year. You could have #1500 and still be only one of 300 SE made.

It's my understanding, they are making 1500 LE's, PLUS as many SE's (orders) they can before 12/31/14. So they may actually have 500-750 SE's (1/3? 1/2? more, just guessing). So the actual #of LE's (both) could be in excess of 2,000.

What I don't understand is the numbering system for SE's. If you switch from say LE #1000 to a SE #1000 and there are only 700 made, what gives? In addition, that opens up #1000 for the standard LE.

#37 9 years ago

I was an LE preorder at #153 and ended up with #151 SE.

#38 9 years ago

Anyone who has an opportunity to switch to the Smaug SE for free should do it, that's the real LE...they're making 1500 LE hobbits regardless, but there's no way they'll be making 1500 Smaugs.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Anyone who has an opportunity to switch to the Smaug SE for free should do it, that's the real LE...they're making 1500 LE hobbits regardless, but there's no way they'll be making 1500 Smaugs.

Even if you think it's ugly?

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Even if you think it's ugly?

Yes, but get the red Smaug, replaceable cab art, and seaside side bronze frame. Then you can either at any time

Just kidding...sort of.

#41 9 years ago

Here's my thing...I just think there's too much dragon and too much gold. The original cabinet is much more colorful and represents all the movies, not just the dragon (who has a minor role in the movies and the book). The colors are much more balanced on the LE, and the seaside bronze fits the color scheme of the PF better, IMHO. I also like the red dragon toy better. And now that they put the picture of Smaug dead center on the PF, staring at me, I don't see any reason to see him everywhere else. When I look at the Smaug Edition, I'm like, "Where's the f-ing hobbit???"

And I can always put the Smaug decals on...they just won't go well with seaside bronze.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Here's the real, real story. Anyone that is basing their decision on if they should switch based on LE #s or if it makes their game worth more should quit the hobby and find a new one cause you are making decisions for the wrong reason. Get what you like, they will both have their appeal for different reasons.

Let's get these bad boys shipping already!

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Here's my thing...I just think there's too much dragon and too much gold. The original cabinet is much more colorful and represents all the movies, not just the dragon (who has a minor role in the movies and the book). The colors are much more balanced on the LE, and the seaside bronze fits the color scheme of the PF better, IMHO. I also like the red dragon toy better. And now that they put the picture of Smaug dead center on the PF, staring at me, I don't see any reason to see him everywhere else. When I look at the Smaug Edition, I'm like, "Where's the f-ing hobbit???"
And I can always put the Smaug decals on...they just won't go well with seaside bronze.

Yeah...couldn't have said it better myself. My preference is the LE.

--Luke

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Here's the real, real story. Anyone that is basing their decision on if they should switch based on LE #s or if it makes their game worth more should quit the hobby and find a new one cause you are making decisions for the wrong reason. Get what you like, they will both have their appeal for different reasons.
Let's get these bad boys shipping already!

If you're already buying a Hobbit LE, obviously you already care about the 'LE' part to begin with, otherwise you'd be buying a standard (and probably getting it much sooner). So why not get the true 'LE', the Smaug one? I'm not buying either, but if you really are buying for the 'LE' part, then Smaug is the way to go. 1500 = around the same amount of Iron Mans that were made when you add in the VE (1600).. Anyone think IM is limited?

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

If you're already buying a Hobbit LE, obviously you already care about the 'LE' part to begin with, otherwise you'd be buying a standard (and probably getting it much sooner). So why not get the true 'LE', the Smaug one? I'm not buying either, but if you really are buying for the 'LE' part, then Smaug is the way to go. 1500 = around the same amount of Iron Mans that were made when you add in the VE (1600).. Anyone think IM is limited?

Not true. You're getting it for the powdercoating, the invisiglass, and the shaker. Oh, yeah...and the number, which seems to mean a lot more to others than to me. If you're getting a Smaug edition, you're essentially paying $500 more for a different attract mode. And who gives a shit about that? Hit the f-ing Start button already!

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

You're getting it for the powdercoating, the invisiglass, and the shaker.

Not to mention the fact that it (if preordered, that is) is cheaper.

#47 9 years ago

Im With Beelzeboob on this one. I think there is way too much Smaug and I like the original, so I'm sticking with it. Smaug is ok, but I think there is enough with a very large head of Smaug and that big picture in the middle of the play field. Now if there was a pin called "Smaug" I could understand, but it is the Hobbit.

#48 9 years ago

Smaug me. I love it.

#49 9 years ago

I had a high number in the LE version -- But I guess I got lucky because I was able to get #10 in the Gold Edition and I also got #10 in LE -- I basically bought the Gold Smag to have in next to the LE - I did the same for WOZ LE and Ruby Red Edition -- But I would be curious on the number of Gold Editions that they sell and they should annouce it after Jan 1st

#50 9 years ago

The numbering system does seem confusing, but I was able to transfer my #848 LE over to the SE with no problem. I tried to get # 8, 88 or 888 which is what I originally wanted for WOZ, but I guess everyone who has those #'s is sticking with them for The Hobbit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 25.50
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-th-les-compared-to-smaug-les and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.