(Topic ID: 290122)

How many SURVIVED? The state of EMs today...

By Gott72

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4663565305_be5c913275_o (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    20210317_150956 (resized).jpg
    raven-pinball_6923 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dono.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 3 years ago

I'm just glad we had a fair share of operators who couldn't bear the thought of trashing their old pins, and continued to hold onto their games in warehouses/sheds/storage bins/barns, you name it; if it was always about the money, we'd have very few EMs left (a fellow hobbyist whose father was a major operator outside Pittsburgh was thrilled to take all those old games (including jukes, bowlers, gun, p&b) straight to the dump without a thought, occurring many times until the business closed.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

I know of two collectors who have large storage buildings with mostly EM machines stacked up. One currently doesn’t want to sell any of his duplicates, I’ve tried. The other stores them for different reasons and does sell them when the market may be hot for certain titles and when he can get top dollar for them.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Better than that they end up on the street competing for his money?
    That’s one of the rationales I’ve heard the old timers say.

Good point, yep for sure.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from steviechs:

I bet the random single game in the basement or garage is probably higher than we think.
    Pulled an OXO out of an about-to-be-demolished garage. The owner got it for his birthday back in the 70s. Said it hadn’t worked in some 20 years but the bg was perfect!
    Also rescued an Aloha from another garage as a son was cleaning out his dads old stuff. BG was 99% gone on that one.

Got a call from a guy in Chicago who was looking to sell a bunch of pins from his father's estate in VA... made an offer based on some pix and after some negotiations bought them. There were seven total games: four woodrails, one 60s EM, and two early SS games. Those games hadn't been played in 20 years +, just sitting in a climate controlled family room collecting dust. I'm sure that scenario will be played out hundreds if not thousands of times over the next several decades; some amazing gems yet to be uncovered.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dono.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-survived-the-state-of-ems-today?tu=dono and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.