(Topic ID: 290122)

How many SURVIVED? The state of EMs today...

By Gott72

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4663565305_be5c913275_o (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    20210317_150956 (resized).jpg
    raven-pinball_6923 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 3 years ago

I believe attrition has been very limited over past 15 years or so, but I have no doubt huge swaths of games were destroyed In the late 70s-late 90s.

They were just taking up space and were basically worthless, as they could not make money on location and there was no home market. In my many years in the hobby I’ve heard many tales from old timers about entire warehouses worth of games getting hauled to the dump. Old timers love to tell stories but I think there’s a kernel of truth there.

Surely, nobody knows the actual survival rate. I’ve personally parted out games so I guess I’m not helping, but one parts machine can help keep other games running for many years.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

I also agree that there’s more around than what that formula would render but maybe not a huge percentage more.
    Here’s 3 of my machines using that formula.
    1970 Flip a Card: 1800 made.
    2020 left: 56 machines
    1975 Wizard!: 10,000 made
    2020 left: 470 machines (approx.)
    1962 3 Coins: 1100 made
    2020 left: 20 machines (approx)
    I think there’s definitely more out there in most all cases. I could see those numbers being: 90, 1000 and 45 respectively. Just a guess

Some games got trashed more than others. Games like Wizard look amazing and made tons of money on location. Probably more likely to be held on to by ops, given to nephews etc.

Ever watch the Tommy movie?

Almost all the hundred or so games that get trashed in that movie are total dogs. Tons of Chicago coin garbage, very few titles of any real note, even today. Lots of "duplicate" dogs as well. I don't imagine the production paid much if anything for those games, some british op was probably happy they hauled them away.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

I guess my question would be, how long a period of time after 1980 did people view the average EM as dated or worth nothing?

Total guess here but I would bet it wasn't until the late 90s and the rise of eBay that anybody thought their old crap like that was worth anything.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gott72:

By what I read here, it seems the machines became more collectible and salvageable once a community grew that made parts to resuscitate old EMs. Maybe circa 2005.

I don't think that's really it. Pinball Resource has been providing parts to hobbyists since the late 1970s. Except for Chicago Coin stuff I never had any trouble getting EM parts, even in the early 2000s.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dono:

I'm just glad we had a fair share of operators who couldn't bear the thought of trashing their old pins, and continued to hold onto their games in warehouses/sheds/storage bins/barns, you name it; if it was always about the money, we'd have very few EMs left (a fellow hobbyist whose father was a major operator outside Pittsburgh was thrilled to take all those old games (including jukes, bowlers, gun, p&b) straight to the dump without a thought, occurring many times until the business closed.

Better than that they end up on the street competing for his money?

That’s one of the rationales I’ve heard the old timers say.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

And it took me a few months to figure out why. I felt bad to keep turning down offers which eventually turned into a weekly thing. Closing in on 60 games so odds are good someone wants something. Never had anything listed so can’t feel THAT bad but still.

The first time someone tried to use my collection against me in a pinside discussion I decided listing my constantly changing lineup was pointless.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

They were meant as money making and there was no demand in the home market yet. Such a shame.

It's not just that, the operator wouldn't just give the games away to would-be hobbyists as potential this unwanted equipment could come back to haunt him in the form of competition. The easiest and most sensical thing to do was to just trash them. Operators also had a decided interest in there NOT being a "home market" for pins as he wants people to go to his locations to play pinball, not sit around at home doing it.

Games still did end up in homes, I'd be most curious in finding out how that used to happen back in the day. I bought a Gottlieb "NOW" from an old man who got the game from a friend of his who owed him a favor or something. The guy was an operator and just showed up at his house one day with the game and put it in the living room.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-survived-the-state-of-ems-today?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.