Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 138 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by blondetall
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bingo (resized).png
    christmas (resized).jpg
    bad-santa (resized).jpg
    merry-christmas-you-filthy-animal (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    338053737_920ed80e (resized).png
    IMG_0806 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3385 (resized).JPG
    Spiced-Gingerbread-Man-Cookies-plus-24-more-Christmas-Cookies (resized).jpg
    BahHumbug (resized).png
    IMG_2706.JPG
    papergc,441x415,w,ffffff.2u1 (resized).jpg
    Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 7 years ago

The world is simply becoming way to sensative.
    Anyone saying this is merely wishing you good fortune.
    How this upsets some people wether they observe Christmas or some other holiday baffles me. If i was wished happy Kwanzaa or happy Chanukah or happy hollidays i would respond in kind.
    I agree Merry Christmas is most properly used on dec25.
    Happy hollidays is the entire season.
    Some might wish you a Merry Christmas simply because they will not see you until after the 25th.
    Anyone offended by this sort of kind act is truly angry at life itself IMO.

Happy Christmachanukwanzaca

#102 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinkid:

I still say it. Anyone who is offended can fold up and F#%k themselves. Leave the country w/all the celebs who haven't after the election didn't go their way................Merry Christmas Aholes................

And there's the real sentiment behind some folks' insistence on saying "Merry Christmas" to non-Christians. It's just sheer rage and misanthropy. At least one of you is honest in your motives.

#103 7 years ago

The Mishnah is the physical writing of Jewish oral laws.
    The oral laws were kept by the Priest/Caste system of society.
    After Jerusalem was destroyed, the population enslaved, the Hebrews, "called Jews for Judean slang"
    that were Eastern Greeks and running the Court, the Sahendrin, battled, but wrote thee down circa 90 AD.
    The Talmud, includes the commentary, etc in the Gemara, along with the Mishnah.
    The Messiah in Bar Kochba, 130 AD, was the end of Jews in renamed Judea other than below the mount and on Holidays.
    The writings include the trial of Jesus as it correlates with the Apocrypha the Acts of Pilate, which is extracted into John.

While Yeshu was a common name, its a Western derivative of Yeshua, or Joshua, the issue is the Sahendrin did not really execute
    Jews. Think of it as a country without the death Penalty. Jesus was a pain in their ass, and a threat to their power.
    The siege on the Temple Mount, is historically recorded as more than a turning over of a folding card table.
    It was an all out 24 take over in a Militant move, causing massive instability.
    The protest being over the silver coin being used, being forbidden in much of the Hebrews, and the outrageous tripling or more of taxes for Sin redemption. It served a great purpose for him to be removed.

So Jewish History, written from this time, as noted by commentary from people living then, Philo, Eusebius, Origen, Tacitus, Valentine, Marcion had great debates about the Religion before the Synods in 350, and the canonization.

Because, like most of those, those looking at History with respect to faith, can see that "what was written" came later,
    original writings like the Dead Sea scrolls, Codex Sinaiticus, and many other Apocrypha contain the History of its evolution.

For so many people, across so much territory, to have so many writings, is for those of faith, the Power of their faith.
    From the Historical aspect, it doesnt have to disagree with this, it comes from the migration that was both voluntary and enslavement
    as the population ran away from war and death.

Think of all the different immigrants and what travels with them. Whether the discussion is Syrian refugees, or how our country is different because we brought in African Americans as slaves.

Really no different.

Anyway. This is a Passion for me, and I sincerely apologize if I have offended anyone.

I hope I havent violated the rules, because I try to speak with this being Historical, Archaeological, and Theological. Academic, if you will.
    Religion often offends people, because it includes Dogma, Ideology, and Faith.
    To do my work, I need to remove those (it helps to study in Greek).

This allows me to Respect all Faiths and beliefs, with knowledge instead of Fear.

The reason for this, is "Christmas", as I have always wished for what Charlie Brown asked for:

I have been asked by too many to write, teach, start a Church. I cant see it, but Im honored.

Let me go away, and if anyone is interested, PM me....Lets go back to Pinball and Merry Christmas!!!!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#105 7 years ago

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

I reserve "Happy Holidays" for Halloween and 4th of July.

I you don't Celebrate Christmas thats fine, you have the right to believe what you want and I respect that so please respect mine.

On a total unrelated note

I think the nane of the site is too long let change it to "X-Side" and lets play some "x-Ball"

#106 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

And there's the real Christian sentiment behind the insistence on saying "Merry Christmas" to non-Christians. It's just sheer rage and misanthropy. At least one of you is honest in your motives.

Losses hurt.

#107 7 years ago

This thread just warms my heart. Merry Christmas!! Everyone.

#108 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

Well, I am about as politically INcorrect as they come. SO...
    MERRY CHRISTMAS, to every one who still remembers!
    and for the rest, well, insert comment here...

Bro, you're so PC bro - this is how you do it ...

"Merry Self-Fathering Zombie Space Jew Day which for some reason is represented by an obese white old hermit living in a frozen tundra with midget slave-labor!!!"

See, rolls right off the tongue.

#109 7 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I run through the town yelling Merry Christmas

I watched this for the first time the other day. Really great movie.

#110 7 years ago

merry-christmas-you-filthy-animal (resized).jpgmerry-christmas-you-filthy-animal (resized).jpg

#111 7 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Anyone saying this is merely wishing you good fortune.

How bout we just say "have a nice day" and leave it at that.

#112 7 years ago

While I don't believe in censorship I do believe topics like religion and politics are best of discussed other places than Pinside.

#113 7 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

While I don't believe in censorship I do believe topics like religion and politics are best of discussed other places than Pinside.

I'm sure several have received thread ejects for even mentioning the subjects.

#114 7 years ago

seems like mods have a taken a "wait and see" stance on some verboten topics lately, only stepping in once they turn sour. so far it's been reasonably civil, but i don't think it sets a great precedent. it's interesting either way, though.

#115 7 years ago

Merry Christmas!! Thank you. Come again.

#116 7 years ago

Some people will do anything to be offended.

#118 7 years ago

#119 7 years ago

I can't believe so many people get upset over being told Happy Holidays.

#120 7 years ago

I go with Seasonal Tidings of Cheer or Happy Holidays with two exceptions 1) if I happen to know the person celebrates Christmas or 2) Christmas Day proper.

I like to encompass not only a variety of belief systems but also a broader time frame from Thanksgiving to New Years.

I don't take offense at any expression of good will but regard those who do with disdain. People who care that much about a talismanic phrase or nomenclature need to turn of the tv and go help a family of refugees from the Middle East.

#121 7 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

We don't. We just don't like getting told our traditions should conform with everyone else.

#122 7 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

We don't. We just don't like getting told our traditions should conform with everyone else.

who's messing with your traditions? merely acknowledging that not everyone shares the same tradition isn't an attack on yours.

#123 7 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Ever notice they're often the same people who make a stink about things like BLM?

"Black lives matter"
    - Nooooo! ALL lives matter

"Oh, sorry about that. You're right. All lives matter, of course. Well, in that spirit: Happy Holidays!"
    - Nooooo! It's Merry Christmas.

#124 7 years ago

Can you imaging a life so complete and perfect you had nothing more important to concern yourself with than the way a stranger words his greeting. Hell, I'd have to rid myself of all worries concerning money, health, work, parenting, marriage, politics, environment, etc, etc, etc before I gave one second thought to the way a greeting is worded.

#125 7 years ago

#126 7 years ago

I love Christmas!

bad-santa (resized).jpgbad-santa (resized).jpg

#127 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

who's messing with your traditions? merely acknowledging that not everyone shares the same tradition isn't an attack on yours.

Losses hurt. Time to conform.

#128 7 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

I can't tell if you're being serious or not. . .

#129 7 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

Losses hurt. Time to conform.

is lashing out the only way you can respond to an honest question? is this your idea of Christmas spirit?

#130 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

is lashing out the only way you can respond to an honest question? is this your idea of Christmas spirit?

No one is lashing out, I'm merely pointing out you got your asses kicked.

#131 7 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

this isn't an election thread. respond to the content of my post.

(anyway, your side lost the popular vote by almost 3 million votes. your side is in power but it isn't in the majority)

#132 7 years ago

I don't feel this way, but thought it quite funny.

christmas (resized).jpgchristmas (resized).jpg

#133 7 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

We all got our asses kicked.

#134 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

this isn't an election thread. respond to the content of my post.

Why did you use a period after your first and last sentences yet fail to capitalize the beginning of either sentence?

#135 7 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

Why did you use a period after your first and last sentences yet fail to capitalize the beginning of either sentence?

how many posts can you make attacking me without even attempting to respond to the points i made?

#136 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

how many posts can you make attacking me without even attempting to respond to the points i made?

No one is attacking you. It's all made up in your mind.

#137 7 years ago

Considering the same Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays argument surfaces every year and always strays into politics and religion and tends not to end well, the moderators have decided to close this before it spirals too far out of control.

Thanks for participating, folks.

#138 7 years ago

BINGO!!!

bingo (resized).pngbingo (resized).png

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-still-say-merry-christmas/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.