Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by MrBellMan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How many started with a pool table, then got into pinball, and no longer have the pool table?”

• Bought pool table first, got into pins, sold table for more pin space. 14 votes
      27%
    • Bought pool table first, got into pins, won’t sell pool table but it’s stored. 2 votes
      4%
    • Bought pool table first, got into pins, won’t remove table from room no matter what. 11 votes
      22%
    • Into pinball first, THEN bought a pool table. 6 votes
      12%
    • Never owned a pool table. 18 votes
      35%

(51 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1129.JPG
    IMG_1137.JPG
    poolpic.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Another post got me thinking. For us middle aged’ish men, seems like most of us are trying to do the mancave to some extent. Seems like the pool table is the gateway drug so to speak: the marijuana the leads to the crack.

Just curious of the ratio for the above scenarios.

#2 9 years ago

Interesting. I had a pool table long before I had pins. Nice full size slate with burgundy felt. Pretty much took up the entire space that is my game room now. I had to sell it, I actually played more pool before I owned the table. Then wife wanted a ping pong table top, then this became an area for laundry baskets

#3 9 years ago

I wanted to get a pool table. All the rooms in the house were just a bit to small for a table to be played without obstructions. So I decided what they heck I'll get me a pinball machine and see how that goes.

Well 6 years later I have owned over 50 machines and have met some great people and got some of my buddy's into pinball as well.

I wonder if I never bought a pinball machine if my other friends that now have a good collection of machine's mostly purchased from me would just still have an empty basement.

I'd like to think I started a pinball bug in Jackson. As now I can say with about 6 of us we own 100 or so machines.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Interesting. I had a pool table long before I had pins. Nice full size slate with burgundy felt. Pretty much took up the entire space that is my game room now. I had to sell it, I actually played more pool before I owned the table. Then wife wanted a ping pong table top, then this became an area for laundry baskets

Hah, I wanted a ping pong topper, but had a 10x5 table (regulation size) and those things are only available for 8x4 tables.

I still need to get a ping pong table that folds for the garage. I love ping pong!

#5 9 years ago

It was simple for me. Pinball is a one player friendly game. Pool table was a great laundry table at my house.

#6 9 years ago

Wanted a pool table but wasn't about to give up the garage for it. Settled for a playroom full of Star Pool, 8 Ball, Laser Cue, Skill Pool, Eight Ball, and Cue Ball Wizard. oh yeah... and a recently added "9 Ball Shootout" vidiot game.

#7 9 years ago

Always wanted a pinball machine, but did not know where/how to obtain one.
    Bought a small 7ft full slate (bar) pool table for $200, ( ~25yrs ago), from a surfer dude in Oxnard CA, he needed the money and was moving. Put it in my garage but never really used it, about a year later I moved to Bakersfield CA and put a new felt on it.
    Then I discovered where I could buy pins, so my gameroom (19x19ft) soon had wet bar, stereo, pool table, coke machine, video game and my 1st pin, then soon up to 7 pins.
    It did get a little cramped in there but you could still move around comfortably and actually play pool without having to use a short stick, except for 1or2 angles.
    Finally gave the pool table away about a year prior to plans for moving up to Oregon, since i knew it was going to be a hassle to move. We never really played much pool ever, so never missed it.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Hah, I wanted a ping pong topper, but had a 10x5 table (regulation size) and those things are only available for 8x4 tables.
    I still need to get a ping pong table that folds for the garage. I love ping pong!

Ours was 5' X 9' (actually regulation size) We had a top for it, but I don't know about 10 Ft.

#9 9 years ago

Bought the Pool Table and then got into pins and took the table down. The only reason I took it down was because of lack of space, otherwise it would still be up.

That said, anyone want to trade a gorgeous 1 of a kind pool table for a pin? $5K value!

#10 9 years ago

I had a pool table but sold it long ago. Just got into pinball lately and would love to have a pool table again, or even better a snooker table. Will have to wait till i win the lottery for that to happen though

#11 9 years ago

Had a pool table for years, got into pins, sold pool table. Not for more space but to raise money for more pins. No vote option for me

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballholder:

Had a pool table for years, got into pins, sold pool table. Not for more space but to raise money for more pins. No vote option for me

Should have put sold table for space/money.

Quoted from wayout440:

Ours was 5' X 9' (actually regulation size) We had a top for it, but I don't know about 10 Ft.

Ok, I guess that was the size I had. I could never find one though. Either way, its days were numbered.

#13 9 years ago

I wouldn't get rid of my pool table because it gets guests into the garage. Once there they play some pinball as well. Without the pool table they probably wouldn't even go in.

#14 9 years ago

Seriously considered a pool table, but after serious thought, came to the realization that well over 50% of all pool tables have boxes sitting on them within 6 months.

My first game actually was a ball bowler.

#15 9 years ago

I'm downsizing to 5 pins to place pool table

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from pninja005:

I'm downsizing to 5 pins to place pool table

Quoted from Hoopjohn:

Seriously considered a pool table, but after serious thought, came to the realization that well over 50% of all pool tables have boxes sitting on them within 6 months.
    My first game actually was a ball bowler.

Pool tables and workout equipment, good intentions -> little use.

#17 9 years ago

Love my pool table it and the the more social games (skeeball,ball bowler,bubble hockey) get much more play at parties than pinball plus the wife and I spend many a night shooting pool on the weekends.poolpic.jpgpoolpic.jpg

#18 9 years ago

Have a nice pool table for sale in Denver if anyone is interested.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Have a nice pool table for sale in Denver if anyone is interested.

Me too in St Paul, MN.

#20 9 years ago

With my pool table installed (currently in storage), I can only have 7 pins. I currently have 15...

Here's an shot of the game room back in 2009.

Rob Bell
    Robsgameroom.com

IMG_1129.JPGIMG_1129.JPG
    IMG_1137.JPGIMG_1137.JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-started-with-a-pool-table-then-got-into-pinball-and-no-long and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.