Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Asylum
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I would say the two best LE's from Stern that combined lower production numbers and differences in the look was obviously AC/DC BIB with only 300 made and a totally different look (cabinet art, trim, backglass) and MoPLE although 500 is getting up there in production numbers it also has a totally different beautiful look to it. Tron only has two models which was a plus but I just wish they would have done different cabinet art on each to separate the two models.

Well, you and I have disagreed about AC/DC in the past, but lets leave it.

As far as Metallica, they are such a crappy band and unless they came up with an LE that started itself on fire, I might be interested. Pretty much how I feel about the theme (go ahead and hit me back on the WOZ theme - I get it).

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

Did he really?

I seem to recall that, apologies if it wasn't straight from SR, but Stern was touting that feature in general. So no, I have no faith in what is being claimed as being "great" from Stern Pinball. Didn't SR also say a while back that ST was one of his biggest design efforts ever? I don't see any evidence of that. The "great" music for ACDC was also way overhyped--the mono sound and cheap amp/drivers were shameful, esp. for the LE version of a music-themed title.

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

the increase in LE production is simply naked capitalism at work

Over it and support it! Just hoping its the right number. Overproduction is not a successful part of capitalism.

#54 10 years ago

Dave, save the key strokes with this guy, he's not worth it. You have way too much common sense for him.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

The "great" music for ACDC was also way overhyped--the mono sound and cheap amp/drivers were shameful, esp. for the LE version of a music-themed title.

I liked that Steve insisted on the bigger woofer across the premium line. Mono or not everyone that plays my game thinks this thing rocks!

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I seem to recall that, apologies if it wasn't straight from SR,

No need to apologize... I really don't know and was sincere about asking you. I am a SR fan and love ACDC - put the band section is a joke IMO. Thank goodness for Hemi! His TRC mod at least made the band area fun with flashing LED's!

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

I liked that Steve insisted on the bigger woofer across the premium line. Mono or not everyone that plays my game thinks this thing rocks!

I agree except they could have added more power to the driver board to actually power that nice big woofer!

That thing needs 150 watts not 5 watts...

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

I agree except they could have added more power to the driver board to actually power that nice big woofer!

That's exactly the best upgrade they could do!!!

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I also said that as far as I am concerned they could do away with the LE model all together and just make 2-3 unlimited models for similar pricing. Just give us 2-3 different choices for a fair price.
But if they do stick to the LE model and ask an inflated price that is also fine with me but please keep it truly limited. Maybe 300-400.
Have one or the other but don't try to do both...

Now This I agree with

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

That's exactly the best upgrade they could do!!!

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Well, you and I have disagreed about AC/DC in the past, but lets leave it.
As far as Rolling Stones, they are such a crappy band and unless they came up with an LE that started itself on fire, I might be interested. Pretty much how I feel about the theme (go ahead and hit me back on the WOZ theme - I get it).

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

That's just not true, and completely misses the point.

I think it is very true. Can you enlighten me on what the point is? I'm not trying to troll...I really don't understand. The LE in Stern's terms is basically a blinged out premium. If everyone that wants one can get one (unlike the Metallica fiasco), why should anyone care how many were made?

--Luke

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

So the ship will slide forward and back a bit, and "shake like Sparky" while two tinfoil balls provide white flashes, and a "starfield projector" puts little white dots on the playfield.

Have you seen the meteors in person? Have you seen the starfield projector? I get it, you don't like what Stern is doing but do you have to keep on with the over dramatic always negative attitude? Rhetorical question of course. Tinfoil balls that provide white flashes? Little white dots? COME ON MAN in my coach Ditka voice.

Quoted from StevenP:

I seem to recall that, apologies if it wasn't straight from SR, but Stern was touting that feature in general. So no, I have no faith in what is being claimed as being "great" from Stern Pinball.

First off Steve never said this. Secondly, it's called marketing. Knowing the difference between exaggerated features and reality will save everybody disappointment. You can't blame Stern for marketing their products just like every other business in America. Yes some features didn't show up exactly like they showed in the teaser videos. This has been going on for ages with Bally/Williams, you should know this. Lots of prototype features get axed because of cost. You could see them in the B/W promo videos and you can see them now in the Stern teasers. This is why they have an asterisk in the spec sheet. Shit happens, you can buy the product or not.

Quoted from StevenP:

The "great" music for ACDC was also way overhyped--the mono sound and cheap amp/drivers were shameful, esp. for the LE version of a music-themed title.

Again, did Stern ever say the music would be in Stereo? We all know Stern games don't come in Stereo so why say this was overhyped? It's great music and it sounds just fine. In fact not one single person who has played my game has ever asked if the sound was in Stereo. Still I agree that it should have been included in a "music" pin. It would have been nice.

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

There is none....other than having Gary's signature beneath an extra coating of clear and some LED strips attached to the side. Same thing holds true for AC/DC LE vs. AC/DC Premium. The last Stern LE with enough differentiation is TRON LE which has held its value because of the lack of a Premium.
The same holds true for WOZLE. All I care about with it is the non-reflective glass and shaker thrown are standard with the LE. I could care less about a wooden apron or even the green armor. My wife digs that stuff however....which is another topic altogether.

I'm thinking the last Stern LE with enough differentiation is XMEN LE. Its also the only one that would be nearly impossible to mod the pro to simulate the LE.

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

haha reactionaries are so easily convinced everything is the fault of "political correctness" or the "wussification of america". right wing radio has people convinced the PC boogie man is everywhere. dudes, the increase in LE production is simply naked capitalism at work. get over it.

Oh good. Politics in a pinball thread. Just what the doctor ordered!

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from HighNoon:

I think it is very true. Can you enlighten me on what the point is? I'm not trying to troll...I really don't understand. The LE in Stern's terms is basically a blinged out premium. If everyone that wants one can get one (unlike the Metallica fiasco), why should anyone care how many were made?
--Luke

Now you are changing the subject. This is what you said:

Quoted from HighNoon:

Nothing about the term limited edition implies that it should be limited to a small number. Technically every pinball ever made becomes a Limited Edition...they don't make them forever.
--Luke

I disagree that the term "limited edition" does not imply that it should be limited to a small number. Otherwise, it really isn't "limited" is it? And to say that every pin ever made becomes a LE because they don't make them forever is just ridiculous and misses the point entirely, since we are discussing DIFFERENT MODELS of the same base pin, with different features.

#67 10 years ago

The LEs have added features to the Premium, so it should be more expensive. I just can't wrap my head around the amount of people who think anyone benefits from a product that is hard to get, and more expensive because it is hard to get.

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I just can't wrap my head around the amount of people who think anyone benefits from a product that is hard to get, and more expensive because it is hard to get.

I think in this case or at least for me, the LE looks the best. I don't care about how many they build or it's rarity. I don't like the price but I'm not letting that get in the way of getting a game that I believe will be one of Sterns best.

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

The LEs have added features to the Premium, so it should be more expensive. I just can't wrap my head around the amount of people who think anyone benefits from a product that is hard to get, and more expensive because it is hard to get.

Stern benefits! LOL ....and I don't mean that in a bad way. Remember, the death of the arcade and the economy almost killed pinball sales completely. Stern needs a guaranteed chunk of units built/sold. That's why the LE was born. The right theme & LE number almost guarantees an instant sales rush and money coming into the company. Too many LEs may result in less/slower sales...and that dominoes into the next title. Honestly I think 500 is the magic number to keep the hype/quick sellouts more likely....but even then it's not always a guarantee. Even though pre-order hype and sellouts make some of us collectors butt-hurt...it's the best economic model for Stern. Instant cash influx....then if the game is popular they can sell Premiums (same features) until everyone is happy....oh yeah, and Pros too...if you're into that sorta thing

#70 10 years ago

What would make Stern care about finishing the code on say XM? If all they care about is selling a goodly number of pins real quick, why do they need quality code? I believe Stern is playing a dangerous game with selling non-working games or taking over a year to round the code into shape.

Since XM LE came out, there has been 3 other pins and XM code is still wonky.

I believe a price hike is not in order but more like a refund for our buying non-working or buggy pins. At least that's IMO if Stern wants to keep selling to prior buyers of games not named ACDC or TRON.

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

What would make Stern care about finishing the code on say XM? If all they care about is selling a goodly number of pins real quick, why do they need quality code? I believe Stern is playing a dangerous game with selling non-working games or taking over a year to round the code into shape.

Because if they never updated the code on the games after release, people would stop buying their new pins.

People buy new Stern pins knowing the code won't be done, but with the expectation that it will be updated later. If that stops happening, so will sales.

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Because if they never updated the code on the games after release, people would stop buying their new pins.
People buy new Stern pins knowing the code won't be done, but with the expectation that it will be updated later. If that stops happening, so will sales.

I was being sarcastic. What do we have to do (besides not buy any more pins until they are done with XM code). We can email or complain but get no satisfaction. No update or idea if they are working on it or when or what will be the goal etc..

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Since XM LE came out, there has been 3 other pins and XM code is still wonky.
I believe a price hike is not in order but more like a refund for our buying non-working or buggy pins. At least that's IMO if Stern wants to keep selling to prior buyers of games not named ACDC or TRON.

It defiantly happened before xMen. People mention xMen because it is a "cooler" them than WOF which was not finished. Same holds true for lousy code on CSI and IJ4.

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I was being sarcastic. What do we have to do (besides not buy any more pins until they are done with XM code). We can email or complain but get no satisfaction. No update or idea if they are working on it or when or what will be the goal etc..

I hear ya. I know XM code was a disaster (I had Magneto NIB). Isn't the current code pretty decent though?

#75 10 years ago

They seem to have the balance right with Metallica as sold out of LE's - 500. Premiums for those who want it and a Pro model that is really worth having. Probably the best Pro they have done. If the code rocks in the future they can sell Metallica's for another year at least.

ST. Doesn't seem like they have the balance right but until we see the LE no one can be sure.

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Isn't the current code pretty decent though?

I think it is really good...

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

Or start building pins ala carte. Let players, like cars, decide to pay more for custom trim, backbox speaker upgrades, etc.
Just a thought.

Now that would be awesome!! I know it isn't likely to happen but if it did it would encourage me to buy more from the manufacturer that offered it.

#78 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I also said that as far as I am concerned they could do away with the LE model all together and just make 2-3 unlimited models for similar pricing. Just give us 2-3 different choices for a fair price.

But if they do stick to the LE model and ask an inflated price that is also fine with me but please keep it truly limited. Maybe 300-400.

Have one or the other but don't try to do both...

Right on there Teekee! They really F'ed up this go round. Live and learn. Overseas guys already pay a huge premium, now you ask them to crank out another $700 for an Le model?

No way, no how do they sell the 400 units that they claim are going overseas when you have the premium sitting there....subject to change obviously with the "big reveal", maybe the lasers fire out gold nuggets....

#79 10 years ago

Would anyone like to buy my CSI-LE? Less than 500 made, and a bargain at only $6200!

#80 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Would anyone like to buy my CSI-LE? Less than 500 made, and a bargain at only $6200!

I see what you did there. =)

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

Didn't they only produce 250 Hulk LE's?

Yes, 250 too many...

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Now you are changing the subject. This is what you said:

I disagree that the term "limited edition" does not imply that it should be limited to a small number. Otherwise, it really isn't "limited" is it? And to say that every pin ever made becomes a LE because they don't make them forever is just ridiculous and misses the point entirely, since we are discussing DIFFERENT MODELS of the same base pin, with different features.

I don't know I'm enjoying my limited edition Ford Windstar, they don't make them anymore so mine is a Windstar LE.

#83 10 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

I think it is really good...

Me too.

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

What would make Stern care about finishing the code on say XM? If all they care about is selling a goodly number of pins real quick, why do they need quality code?

1. Distributors still have the game and want to sell them
2. The Pro is still in production, they want to sell as many as possible before the licensing agreement ends
3. Bad reputation on one game flows over to others. When Avengers came out, I didn't buy it because of X-Men's problems. I'm not buying Star Trek right now because Metallica is unfinished. Making good on previous games helps current and future games.

#85 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I don't know I'm enjoying my limited edition Ford Windstar, they don't make them anymore so mine is a Windstar LE.

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

Or just spend another $10-$20 on a more efficient woofer...a very low cost solution that many did immediately after getting the pin.

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from stretch2:

Yes, 250 too many...

Be nice!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-star-trek-le-from-stern/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.