(Topic ID: 116172)

"How many plays until you know a Pin is one u might want to own?

By Mercury

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“"How many plays until you know a Pin is one u might want to own?”

• Just a few games 67 votes
      60%
    • 20 games at least 42 votes
      38%
    • I would need to play it for a year before I decide it's one I'd own. 2 votes
      2%

(111 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Mr.owl.gif
    There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

I have found that sometimes it takes many plays to know if

a Pin is one you like and might want to own. Some pins

I hate at first and then I love them..Some I love but the more I play them I just

don't. Just wonder what you all think...Thanks

#2 9 years ago

I think it happens really fast. Sure, there are exceptions to the rule. For instance my first reaction to Tron was "Yuck". But I didn't understand the game. But I learned the rules and fell in love. But that first reaction is usually true. After about 5 games I catagorise a machine as desirable or not. But I'll still play the ones I don't want to own. You never know, someday I might run into another Tron.

#3 9 years ago

Zero! I've bought almost every game without playing it first. I get drawn in by the artwork and layout.

#4 9 years ago

I usually know around 10 games, at that point I am either excited by it and want to play more and learn more about the rules, or I am meh. I always play more before I buy, but I usually have a quick and strong reaction to games I will end up buying.

#5 9 years ago

Usually I like games best after playing a beat-up one on route.

I'm a bass-ackwards individual, though.

#6 9 years ago

Knowing the rules helps an okay game become a good game. A great game is obvious from the start and the rules are easy to pick up.

#7 9 years ago

I've found most games can't be fully appreciated until after a few months of home ownership, with the sound and room lighting how you want it as well as no distractions (go to bed kids!).

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from OHMI_Arcade:

Zero! I've bought almost every game without playing it first. I get drawn in by the artwork and layout.

That's like getting married before having intercourse...

#9 9 years ago

I've bought three of my five machines after playing only one game. I knew instantly, and I still love them.

#10 9 years ago

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Some guys hope for the best!

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

More like raw-dogging it without making sure it passes the smell test.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

A great looking "machine" is unlikely to be a disappointment!

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from OHMI_Arcade:

A great looking "machine" is unlikely to be a disappointment!

Not true, it may look great but once you get it going you realize the mods it may need for top performance will cost a fortune.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Not true, it may look great but once you get it going you realize the mods it may need for top performance will cost a fortune.

lubrication is cheap.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

lubrication is cheap.

Are you saying you're single?

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from RonB:

Are you saying you're single?

Far from it... but what upgrades can you really get for a home model? Either airbags, or better lubrication....

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

Far from it... but what upgrades can you really get for a home model? Either airbags, or better lubrication....

I don't know, sometimes a volume adjustment switch would be nice...

#19 9 years ago

I don't think there is a true answer to your question. I think most people would agree if you play a well dialed in machine and don't like it with in a few plays it is highly unlikely you will ever grow to like it. I also think it takes about 10 or 12 games to see if a machine has stay power in a smaller collection. But to say you can get an answer in "X" number of plays just isn't going to work.

One thing we have learned over the years is DON'T decide if you like a game or not if you are playing a machine that is not 100%. I can't tell you how many machines we bought as projects - played them a few times before we had them 100% - decided we didn't like the game - put it up for sale before we had it dialed in - sold it and then finished it before customer came to get it - and once it was working 100% and fully shopped we wished we could keep it.

Bottom line is to follow your instincts as long as you are playing a recently serviced machine. If you play it a few times and it doesn't seem to fit odds are you will never like it. Or if you play it a few times and love it chances are you will always enjoy it. I am not saying this is the case 100% of the time but odds are 90% of the time your first instinct will be correct.

#20 9 years ago

I played a couple before I bought 'em but the rest were D.O.A.

#21 9 years ago

Sometimes decent gameplay videos are enough.

#22 9 years ago

I need to play games for a while to determine whether I will actually want to own them. I may think I want to own a game, but then I'll play it at a friends house for an entire night or two, then realize I've had my fill and I'm good, I don't need it. Sometimes 10 - 20 games isn't enough, especially with a game that is new to me. When I play a game for the first time that I've never tried before, there is always a sense of freshness and excitement. I need to get through that phase, learn the rules and get used to the flow and rhythm of a game. Try out all the modes, get to a wizard mode (or attempt to anyway). If I don't dive into it deeper and really figure out if it will have staying power according to my tastes, I will make a rash buying decision and in two weeks I'll find myself wanting to sell the game.

#23 9 years ago

My philosophy is to seek enough assistance so that you avoid being 'bent-over' on price. Then try your zero-risk purchase as long as you like. If you want to sell, it is rare to get hurt unless you have over-capitalized with mods etc. Truly a rare hobby on the financial side!!

#24 9 years ago

I buy most games because I've either never played them or never played one that worked right. If I've played a game a bunch before I don't need to have it at home. If it turns out I don't like it, like lukex said, just sell it and grab something else!

#25 9 years ago

I can -almost- tell whether I like a machine or not playing virtual versions a bunch first. of course its NOT the real deal or feel but its also somewhat a fair clue. had some good fun on location with the real ones for knowing better what to expect, good scores from BK, MM, FG, SP, TSPP, and a few others.
    sure theres big differences, you kinda adjust to that pretty quickly or quicker after the virtual maybe.

#26 9 years ago

Bought met pro after watching gameplay videos, best game ever. IMO you should check the vids, read the reviews and go with something high in the top 100. Pinsiders know a good game.

#27 9 years ago

Only now after so many years of ACDC being out have I realised what a kick ass game it is!!! Always played it on location mainly the pro version from the time it hit the streets, thought it was okay but that's all, would never consider owning it, and never understood the hype.. but a few months ago they put a premium in the pub up the road and got to spend some time on it, an now im in love!!! So in this case it took years to realise the next pin I would like to add to the stable..

#28 9 years ago

To own, a couple.
    To keep, hundreds.

#29 9 years ago

I suggest the poll needs more categories... personally I'd say I need to play around 100 games to know if I really like it... that could be done over a 2 month period, so I can't select any box as it is

Some games I only want because the artwork is exceptional, gameplay is irrelevant in these case, but for games where the gameplay is the deciding factor, that's where the 100 games come in...

Quoted from whisper:

Only now after so many years of ACDC being out have I realised what a kick ass game it is!!! Always played it on location mainly the pro version from the time it hit the streets, thought it was okay but that's all, would never consider owning it, and never understood the hype.. but a few months ago they put a premium in the pub up the road and got to spend some time on it, an now im in love!!! So in this case it took years to realise the next pin I would like to add to the stable..

What was it about the game that made you change your mind on it? I'm asking because I've just got a Luci... not played it yet (games like that don't get on site where I am, so the only chance to try it is to buy it!). Am looking forward to getting to know the game, so some pointers from people who have experienced the game could be useful

Post edited by pinballslave: Corrected do to don't!!!! Doh!

#30 9 years ago

Every game I've had I bought without playing it first. If I dont like it after a few months, I'll sell it and try a different game

#31 9 years ago

I think it depends...but for me it's changed a bit...

I think it's largely depending on price.

If I can pick up a game at a good price, play it for a while, and feel comfortable that I can sell it in a month or two at a comparable price that's it for me.

I'm largely done on NIB purchases. Not worth taking the big hit for the unknown.

#32 9 years ago

A lot of games are way more nuanced than meets the eye. To think 5 plays, or even 25 is enough to know a game is ridiculous to me. I didn't care for SM with its early code. It eventually became my #1/2 game. Sometimes the way rules lay out in a game takes awhile to sink in.

I probably think that love at first site is more valid than hate at first site, but they are both rather simplistic approaches and leave a lot of room for error.

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

What was it about the game that made you change your mind on it? I'm asking because I've just got a Luci...

Learning the rules and that the game can be played in many different ways, haven't played a game like that before, its fast and fun, though reading a lot an trying new ways, the machine isn't far so I can always practice on it, an im more familiar with the playfield lay out now.

#34 9 years ago

I always try and play a game before purchasing. If I cant find one or it is rare then I try and find any good videos on youtube. I played Tron several times on location and did not care for it. Then one day it just struck me that I had to have one. It is now one of my favorites. The same thing happened with No Good Gophers, played a few times and it was ok-then 'bam' had to have one. It is weird how you grow an appreciation for some games over time. One lick , two licks, three-crunch!

Mr.owl.gifMr.owl.gif

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from OHMI_Arcade:

3 out of the 4 we own I had not played before purchase. However, I know what I like in a machine as far as features go and if I find the theme and artwork appealing I have no qualms about pulling the trigger. The only thing left to judge under such circumstances are the sounds and music, that's where youtube comes in. Been happy with what we've got.
    If it doesn't work out for some reason I can always pass it along. If that does happen, no harm no foul, and I get to start a new search for something else!

#36 9 years ago

some pins I know after 2 games that its one that I want....others take a while (20-30) before deciding if it makes the cut to come home. Then there's TZ, which I have played for years hoping it will click with me...but so far it hasn't

#37 9 years ago

I shop for a game as follows:

First, I have a set of criteria for a game that gets me interested in a narrow range of titles (thank goodness). Early 80's solid state pins (1980-1982) with multiball and speech are my sweet spot, with a few select system 11s. I also take into account how much support there is for reproduction parts.

1. Listen to the game on youtube 10x (without watching it) -- if I love the sound set then step 2.
    2. Watch the game on youtube by as many players as possible. I can tell by HOW the players are reacting to the ball what kinds of action the table is giving.
    3. If the artwork/theme is undesirable, then it's off the list

I can still hunt for a game if I've never played it. Of course I'd prefer to play it at least a few times to make sure the title "feels good."

-mof

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Sometimes decent gameplay videos are enough.

If only we were still using the spousal innuendo from earlier in the thread . . . that comment would be so much fun to respond to.

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

3. If the artwork/theme is undesirable, then it's off the list

-mof

Rodger that! I don't care how good a machine plays, if you can't stand looking at it why bother?

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

If only we were still using the spousal innuendo from earlier in the thread . . . that comment would be so much fun to respond to.

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

Rodger that! I don't care how good a machine plays, if you can't stand looking at it why bother?

I have the Shadow in my house and got the alt translite. Same could be done in future pins.

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from YKpinballer:

I have The Shadow in my house and got the alt translite. Same could be done in future pins.

But actually come to think of it, that's fine for a tried and tested game, but NIB I agree, I will skip any title that doesn't appeal to my sense of style.

#43 9 years ago

Most games I need to play a while before I can decide if it's worth buying. An exception for me was AC/DC. I was against the theme and thought it was a bad choice, but the first time I played an AC/DC premium, I knew instantly that I needed to have one.

#44 9 years ago

Current software installed, 20 plays, a few multiplayer games, I will know then.

Multiple multiplayer games are a must if you are determining if a pin will work well for league play.

#45 9 years ago

I say 20+. How deep into the rules can you get after 5-10 plays? Takes about 5 games to get the shots down and lined up right.

#46 9 years ago

My number is about 50 games. And I would prefer 100 games.
    I don't think you can get a good feel of the play with any less than 20 plays.

I only have one game at home and if I get bored, then it sucks.
    So I try to find one that I really like.

On the flip side. After I play a game about 2000 times, I trade it for another.
    I've never kept one more than 2700 plays.

#47 9 years ago

To me depending on title this number is somewhere between 20-50.

#48 9 years ago

Some games I buy not working and have no intention of fixing them, yet they are keepers... The plan is to use them as ornaments (cab upright with head on top)... they take up less floor space tike that too Samba and Black Rider were bought with this in mind. When I bought Samba, the seller told me 'this game will never work'... I was fine with that... in fact it was a relief to hear, it meant I'd have no incentive to even try and fix it

#49 9 years ago

Depends on the price for me. I played over 100 games of Metallica before I bought it, and I think that is a good amount. I hated Metallica the first time I played it (in hindsight, I think it was a lot of pent up Napster rage, lol), but started liking it after a few more games.

I bought GnR after only playing a handful of games at a show. At that price point, I would try to play more now, but it worked out well on GnR.

I'll buy games like Demo Man and No Fear after just a few plays. If I get tired of them, they are pretty easy to pass on to the next person.

I haven't bought anything since Metallica because there hasn't been any games that I really want to play 100 times since then. I think I would like to play AFM guite a bit, but it has been months since I actually went out and played it on location (there are 3 in the area). That is the main game I play on Pinball Arcade, so that probably has something to do with it.

So, I picked 20+ in the poll since that is what I have played before purchasing most of my games, but I think 100+ is better.

#50 9 years ago

Depends on the pin.
    Some are quickly and extremely addictive: Iron Man for me.
    Some have a very slow learning / appreciation curve: TZ for me.

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-plays-until-you-know-a-pin-is-one-u-might-want-to-own/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.