Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by vikingerik
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“A lot of plays is...”

• 500+ 5 votes
      3%
    • 1000+ 5 votes
      3%
    • 1500+ 9 votes
      6%
    • 2500+ 30 votes
      20%
    • 5000+ 99 votes
      67%

(148 votes)

#1 2 years ago

I've bought and now sold a few pins. Just curious what the general opinion is about the number of plays when buying / selling. I get the HUO vs routed and you can tell when a pin is taken care of, but what's your thoughts about buying a pin with 1k plays HUO vs 1k plays routed? Is 1k plays considered low for a newer pin?

#2 2 years ago

Anything greater than 200 plays means the machine is worn out IMHO. That's the point it loses it's tightness and starts feeling limp.

#3 2 years ago

Not all plays are created equal.

Regularly clean and maintain a pin, and it can continue to look nice for much longer.

Condition is king.

#4 2 years ago

Huh, no idea.

#5 2 years ago

Depends. Are those 3 ball or 5 ball plays?

#6 2 years ago

Interesting.. never thought about 3 vs 5 ball.

#7 2 years ago

Makes no difference. All about condition. I’ve looked at and purchased games with 1,000+ plays on them and they still look brand new. I’ve also looked at games with 100 plays on them and they are total shit not taken care of.

I constantly clean and wax all my machines every couple of months. I have some with 2,500 plays on them and they look brand new. All about how well they are taken care of.

Does everything work? Is it just cosmetic issues that need attention? Or is stuff broken?

Pins are pretty simple machines. Most stuff is easily fixed. If you are buying from someone who cares for their machines, it will be very easily apparent.

In my mind, plays don’t matter one bit. It’s all about condition and how well have they been taken care of

#8 2 years ago

One major problem is repro parts aren't made with the same tight tolerances of original nos parts. It just makes the game feel so sloppy. Even if you rebuild the flippers they will never play like original.

#9 2 years ago

Interesting thought.

I have a little over 1000 plays on my STH and it’s damn near mint. I would buy 1000+ HUO without question.

#10 2 years ago

A few thousand is nothing. But condition is king. How does it look?

#11 2 years ago

I get the appeal of low play HUO’s, but personally wish manufacturers never changed the software to include total lifetime plays. Condition (and a stapled goodie bag) should be everything. There are so many factors beyond # of games like average ball time, # of balls, environment and especially level of cosmetic & mechanical care.

#12 2 years ago

Add a zero to your numbers in the poll.

#13 2 years ago

Ive owned machines with 70000 plays and they were fine. All about maintenance.

#14 2 years ago

I dont think plays mean shit. As long as machine is properly maintained and cleaned. I actually think the more plays the more "broken in " the machine. Plays better to me.

#15 2 years ago

I have never looked at total plays when buying a pinball machine. I look at condition. I couldn't care less how many times it was played.

#16 2 years ago

I restart a lot of games on some of my pins. That number does not tell you how many hours the game has been played or how well the pin has been maintained. I've never looked at number of plays on any pin.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

and a stapled goodie bag

What is the deal with the goodie bag craze? Last few games I have sold people keep asking about it. These are usually people new to the hobby. Guess they figure there is something magical inside. It has a manual and usually some extra plastics/decals/cheap key fob. No difference if stapled or in coin box. Ok, rant over.

#18 2 years ago

I am amazed that some people will purchase a new machine at a premium price, play it about 200 times and sell it. That is like purchasing a new car and selling it when it is time for an oil change. That makes no sense to me. Just my opinion.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

I am amazed that some people will purchase a new machine at a premium price, play it about 200 times and sell it. That is like purchasing a new car and selling it when it is time for an oil change. That makes no sense to me. Just my opinion.

Well these days a lot of those flips are making a profit so I can see why they do it.

I've known a few car guys like that who seem to enjoy the process of researching and making a deal more than the actual ownership of the vehicle. Seems to apply to some in this hobby too. More of their joy comes from hype and foreplay than playing their machine.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

I feel exactly the same way. BUT, I live in a relatively remote area. I have no access to see/play newer pins really before buying. The closest place to play is a 2 hr 45 min drive. I bought a NIB Turtles pro, I am not convinced the pin is for me yet, but I am still feeling it out. I have probably like 250 plays and got it in March. Jury still out, we;ll see.

#21 2 years ago

600 plays is considered imamaculate, so I'd say 900 is the limit

#22 2 years ago

I could give 2 craps how many plays are on a game. I brought my Rick and Morty to freeplay and saw no wear after another 500 plays on my machine.

What I am picky about are games that are not well protected that have a gazillion plays. Throwing a set of cliffys in scoops and some mylar in the shooter lane gives pins an almost unlimited play life. I will caveat that I am not a fan of machines with really worn out areas, lifted inserts that effect gameplay, and general wear and tear on the machine. Little things like the protection listed above, occasional wax, and new balls every year cut way down on that.

So long as the machine is protected I'm happy and the game could have been routed at a Chuck E' Cheese.

#23 2 years ago

HUO plays provide way more wear than route plays imo, not sure why everyone freaks these days when a new game is routed and for sale.

500 plays from a tournament player with games in his/her house are much different from 500 plays in a bar with chimp flippers walking up. I'll take the route game-save cash- and replace the coil stops

Plays are subjective.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

What is the deal with the goodie bag craze? Last few games I have sold people keep asking about it. These are usually people new to the hobby. Guess they figure there is something magical inside. It has a manual and usually some extra plastics/decals/cheap key fob. No difference if stapled or in coin box. Ok, rant over.

It’s like the hymen of pinball for whatever reason.

#25 2 years ago

Judging by some people here, too many plays is when the first dimple shows up on your playfield.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

What is the deal with the goodie bag?

I was being sarcastic. People like to feel the game is new even though it’s not. Same as things selling for a lot more on eBay if they include the original box.

#27 2 years ago

I try to buy HUO and look at the condition of the 1 I am buying and the others the seller has.Usually if you see all the sellers personal machines are kept up then its going to be a good machine.Big difference on older machines they can have a long history of plays and still be in good shape.There are also many types of buyers and sellers I prefer newer low play games but others love all games and are willing to put in the time and work to get a game back from the dead.Both are enjoying Pinball .

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Judging by some people here, too many plays is when the first dimple shows up on your playfield.

Can a machine with a dimpled playfield be considered CQ?

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Can a machine with a dimpled playfield be considered CQ?

If it isn't under a glass dome in a air tight bubble, still in the box can it still be considered CQ?

Also, I don't follow the question. Everyone knows that on Pinside, no one plays their games more than 100 times (and 90% of those are less than 30 times) and that's if they even take them out of the box, or get them delivered before selling them.

#30 2 years ago

Heck, I put in well over 100 games the first week out of the box... and then time for that first clean and wax. It's not about the number but about the maintenance.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Anything greater than 200 plays means the machine is worn out IMHO. That's the point it loses it's tightness and starts feeling limp.

My wife says this about me.

#32 2 years ago

I purchased a restored Addam's Family as my first pin (it seemed like a fortune to spend $6800 at the time) and proceeded to put about 3000 plays on it over the next few years. The play field was in perfect shape when I sold it -- no dimples even.

Now my BM66 dimpled right away. I don't care because I still don't see them playing the game and that's all that matters to me, but it was an interesting contrast to the Addam's family. I didn't fully appreciate the awesome restore job on my TAF until I had my next pins.

Anyway, I don't care about plays. Frankly, the more plays the more confident I am that the game is actually fun. I get worried when I see a game put up for sale with 100 plays -- that makes me wonder what's wrong with it. Then again, I purchase games to play not collect -- mainly because I think collecting 300 pound commercial machines is kind of a silly hobby (not judging, if collecting pinball machines makes you happy, do it!)

#34 2 years ago

I have a Shrek with nearly 100K plays and heavily routed. Playfield looks fantastic and the cab could be much worse. As long as it looks “good enough” and plays well then who cares?

#35 2 years ago

The AC/DC premium machine that I purchased a few years ago was advertised as having broken ramps and new ramps were provided for installation on the machine by the buyer. When I got the machine, it had well over 15,000 plays on it. There is no wear that I can see on the playfield or the shooter lane, other than a mark on the lower playfield made by someone that was replacing a target there that probably had no idea what they were doing. There was a lot of electronic problems and adjustments required that were neglected on the machine, that I fixed. It also needed a lot of plastics and rubber that were severely worn. After a code update that I did, the plays reset to "0", just so you know. Now, I have about 1,000 plays or so that shows up on the audit. So, be careful when people say that they have less than 200 plays. The condition of the playfield and operation of the machine in general is much more important than the number of plays that shows up on an audit.

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

My wife says this about me.

Glad someone picked up in the humor

#37 2 years ago

Number of plays really doesn’t tell you anything. How many balls were those games? How many extra balls? How long were the ball times? How many restarts on ball1? Where was the machine kept? How was it treated and maintained?

Condition is all that matters

11 months later
    #38 1 year ago

I don't think plays matter much at all. I have a 10k+ plays Jurassic Park that shoots like a dream. I've also had a <100 plays Godzilla that played quite bad. I've had a 1k-plays BKSOR that was average and a 3k-plays BKRSOR that was incredible. Now, over 50k maybe there are hidden problems

11 months later
    #39 9 months ago
    Quoted from Deez:

200 plays? Worn out? Ridiculous!! Regularly maintained, cleaned and waxed machines will look beautiful for 10's of thousands of plays. Stern manuals give maintenance tips for machines after 5000 plays.

The life of a pinball machine is, idk, 50,000 plays? 100,000 plays? even more...

#40 9 months ago
    Quoted from Animal:

200 plays? Worn out? Ridiculous!! Regularly maintained, cleaned and waxed machines will look beautiful for 10's of thousands of plays. Stern manuals give maintenance tips for machines after 5000 plays.
    The life of a pinball machine is, idk, 25,000? 50,000 plays? even more...

I was assuming that year-old post was an attempt at humor, but the down votes mean I'm wrong or no one got it.

#41 9 months ago

5000 is allot? man, allot of machines from williams have a 5 number figure

#42 9 months ago

If that year-old post was serious, then the obvious cause is Stern's coil stops, they do wear out and feel limp after just a couple hundred plays. Easy fix although you have to be aware of it to do it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.