Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

I know it varies per outlet, fuse, circuit and machine but GENERALLY, how many pins can be safely connected to a typical, residential electrical circuit? I'm assuming it doesn't matter so much if they're all plugged into ONE outlet (via surge protector) or in multiple outlets -if they're all still drawing power from the same circuit, how many pins can I run at the same time? I have a 150amp (residential) box. Just wondering, because as the collection grows, should too should my power supply? Thanks for any insight!

#2 2 years ago

Been asked many times over the years. 6 per 20A,120V circuit and 4 per 15A,120V circuit. You can probably get 8 on a 20A and 6 on a 15A but now you are pushing it.

#3 2 years ago

Very widely discussed over the years here if you do some searches and want to read more. From my measurements with those plug-in meters, LED pins idle under 0.5A and ask for about 1-2A during play, occasionally some will ask for a bit more (like JJPotC, I think that spiked at like 2.5-3). I personally go 8 pins per 20A but they're rarely all on at the same time so it doesn't really matter.

#4 2 years ago

Perfect -thanks!

#5 2 years ago

Only one way to find out.

#6 2 years ago

I had 11 pins on one 20A at a party once. 3 pins were EM's, 5 Sam's and 3 Spikes. Nothing tripped and I'm sure a few time all were being played at the same time. I really was expecting something to blow.
    Maybe if all would have gotten a multiball and shakers motor going at same time it would've.

#7 2 years ago

LEDs help to lower the current draw per machine.

#8 2 years ago

In my previous house my arcade would trip the breaker way too often if multiple games were being played. I think I only had 2 circuits in the whole arcade. Can't remember the amperage. What I do remember is the rage I felt every time the breaker tripped and I was left standing in a dark basement with no power. Moved to my new house and when I built my dream arcade I added 8 20amp circuits and 25 outlets. I have like 25 games (pinball and arcade). Overkill for sure. I couldn't trip a breaker if I tried to now. So, to answer your question, I have anywhere between 2 to 4 games per 20amp circuit.

#9 2 years ago

I run 6 per 20A circuit.

#10 2 years ago

I currently have 5 pins (4 out of 5 are LED). Than I also have a shuffleboard bowling alley on the same 20amp circuit. Never had any issues.

#11 2 years ago

Also can depend on what you have. I can easily get 8 EMs on a 20A with LEDs

When I have a party I have my TZ plugged into an outlet that’s on its own 20A with a couple EMs

#12 2 years ago

85% of the rated amperage of the circuit.

#13 2 years ago

I have 3 Ems and 5 Solid States/Moderns on one 15 amp circuit. No issues when I host home tournaments. All games going at the same time with room lighting, a mini fridge and dehumidifier on the same line.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hosting-my-first-pinball-night/page/2#post-6567442

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-pins-per-circuit?hl=conrad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.