Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by pinster68
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider highvoltage.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I was doing some gameroom planning and am wondering about electricity requirements. I used my kill-a-watt on a pin to get some idea about consumption. I used WCS. It seems to use a little over 1 amp at most times, but there are some interesting spikes. I thought the ball motor might use a lot, but it didn't. But when a magnet activates the power usage can spike to 5 amps. I still need to check some older Williams games and modern Sterns, has anyone done this?

Has anyone run into issues with triggering circuit breakers? What current and how many pins did you have that triggered? It seems if several machines are being played at once and you happen to activate magnets on multiple it could easily overload. I suppose that'd be a rare coincidence though.

I'm basically wondering what's a safe value to determine number of pins on a circuit. Maybe about 1.5A/per, about 14 pins on a 20-amp circuit. Anyone have some real world experience?

#6 7 years ago

Oh yes, the WCS was LED'd... that's a good point. I should measure some non-LED'd.

Interesting variety of experience so far. Would really like to know who's triggered a breaker and the circumstances!

#7 7 years ago

Also, anyone have thoughts on how to load test a circuit? It looks like you can buy some testers for $150-$200. I wonder if a tool rental place has these. Any other ideas? Line up some space heaters maybe...

#10 7 years ago

Yeah, my measurements suggest 18 pins on 20A would be about acceptable if no unusual circumstances (multiple magnets) triggered on pins simultaneously. I wouldn't be confident in that level though. I have two opposite walls where I can put about 14 each, and each wall has 20A. I think I will upgrade the breaker to at least 25A maybe a bit more.

I'm going to do some more consumption readings on various pins this weekend, and will update here. I also realized, will be interesting to see if shaker produces some spiking.

#14 7 years ago

Damn wire thickness... thanks for that reminder!

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wahnsinniger:

Yeah, kinda like "that fuse keeps blowing in the game... Guess I should put a bigger fuse in"

Ha... funny that it's recommended for the LOTR magnet though... I suppose it's safe sometimes...

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from Swainer80:

Get good digital volt meter with a clamp on amp meter if you want a good measurement.. You want no more than 80% of the max amperage. 12 gauge wire handles 20 amps max and should have no more than a 20 amp breaker. So 16 amps would be the most you would want to pull to be safe. I have 14 games on one circuit (all with leds). I rarely have them on all at once but when I do it is for parties (5 hours or more) and have never had a problem. The breaker is there to protect the wire if it is needed. I have not found that to be the case yet.

Excellent, I may be golden, thanks for weighing in. But if I knew an electrician who'd do it for around $300, I'd upgrade the breakers and wire on my 2 circuits. I may call around. Anyone know someone in Seattle?

#32 7 years ago

Oh yeah, I have the kill-a-watt, I mentioned using it earlier. I'm talking about load-testing the circuit, ie. putting a load on the circuit to see exactly how much it would take to trigger the breaker.

Wow, there's a Vid's guide for this too, didn't think to look for that, well done.

I did a bit more consumption testing on some machines (note, all LED'd):

Game, Idle, Playing, Max

WCS (WPC), 1.2, 1.4-2, 4.6 (magnet)
    T3 (Whitestar), 1, 1-2, 2.5
    ST Prem (Sam), 1, 1-3, 5.5 (magnet)
    Black Knight (W7), 1.2, 1-2, 3 (both magnets)

Yes, it's definitely the magnets that max the current. That explains why you can trigger the breaker with 4 or 5 if you're unlucky, but also can run 14 simultaneously.

I'd be curious to know how a machine like TAF that uses the Power magnet continuously would measure.

But the max number is clearly machine dependent and related to magnet features and their usage.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider highvoltage.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-pins-on-a-20-amp-circuit?tu=highvoltage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.